Username vs. Real (full) Name

Just today I noticed, I’m sure it happened when Viki went down on August 6, that now Viki has started using our “names” instead of our “usernames” in the links on the team pages on channels. Some people don’t use their real names, and put quotes instead. Do you know how annoying it is to look on the team and the person has to use up all spaces for their name in the volunteer link? I’m not saying we shouldn’t post what we want in the “full name” category in our profile. We can post whatever we want in that space. I’m annoyed that Viki is not using our “usernames” that we signed up with. Everyone knows me as “kakashiandme”. Only those who I speak with on a regular basis will use my real name or use “kk” which is fine. Now, I’m on the team list and I see familiar avatars but with names, I’ve no clue who they belong to.

Maybe I’m being a stick in the mud, but “usernames” is the name we chose to be called by. User + name. Am I the only one a little unsettled with this?

9 Likes

I checked my profile and the url is my username (not what I put in Real Name).
Maybe it was a glitch? Or do you still see it?

I noticed this problem on the new Channel Page. I don’t see any change in the URL but when I go and see the Teams tab, users have taken a lot of space in the team because of their long “Real Names”.
I don’t find it comfortable because from now on, if a newbie comes, s/he will call me Shades rather than Kaori and I am comfortable with the latter rather than the former.

2 Likes

I’ve just checked it. It shows my username still. Like this: https://www.viki.com/users/addictedtobooks/overview

I also feel like Viki should keep using our usernames instead of our full name. It’s quite confusing indeed to see familiar avatars with names you’ve never seen before. I’ve got the new interface though, and I’ve got no idea if this is already released as the new standard interface for the main page or not. If it isn’t and if it’s still in the production stage then maybe it can be givem as feedback?

1 Like

No, when you go to any team you’re on… Not on your profile.

2 Likes

This is not on your profile page… I’m talking about when you go to Team Pages and they don’t show your username but your “real name” or whatever you put in the “full name” line.

Do you have the new page or the old page? I don’t see it either… I just went to a project I’m on, and clicked on the team, and still see usernames.

1 Like

I see it on the new page. And long “names” even overwrite the names of the person next to them:

afbeelding

5 Likes

Oh, okay. I checked a Team page now and it stills shows my username. It looks like the problem lies with the new Team page. But, you’re right. I kinda like my username on the Team page instead of my “real” name.

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

Ohm… who thought this was a good idea? :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I see still all in the old stil. usernames and not the real names OO
I also wouldn´t like to see this ><

1 Like

I haven’t seen this yet because I don’t have the “new page” yet, but I can already say that this idea just sucks. We’ll have to relearn everybody’s names.
If this happens, I’ll just change my “full name” to my username, so that the two of them are the same. And I would encourage everybody I know to do the same.
This will be quicker than convincing Viki to roll back to how things were.
Not that we shouldn’t try it. We should try to campaign and petition, shout and whine at the top of our voices. But in the meanwhile, let’s all change our “full names” to make them same as our usernames.

P.S. We can always say our regular name on the self-introduction text of our About page.

5 Likes

I was rather surprised to see my real name on the team page. I prefer for my username to be used but irmar has given a good suggestion, and I’ll change my full name to my username for now until Viki changes it (or not!).

I didn’t know there was a choice. It’s definitely the new page. It sucks, it sucks, it sucks. If I could switch back to the old page, I would in a heartbeat.

5 Likes

Yeah, well, I change my full name just by my first name, I dont wanna be know it by my name in the page, I really hate this new “upload” this is not an “upload” is just a regression.

I don’t have my real name listed here, not that I know, but I wonder if this is considered a privacy issue?

@jeslynl @mariliam

I think not really, because anyone who wants to know whatever name you go by, can either way see it on your profile. The problem is more that those names are now shown on the channel pages and that they’re unfamiliar and sometimes far too long.

1 Like

It’s not like that, it is what you wrote in the 2nd line of your profile under your username - in your case Dudie, in my case “I am just an unnie at viki”, if I remember it correctly when it was created it didn’t ask for your real name to be put there …
Anyway if Viki will put that line as the user’s name next to the profile picture, nothing else can be done to make it short and add the username in the 2nd line as well to not confuse people further.
Leaves me with the question, why have a 2nd line at all?
@jeslynl @mariliam

In case you don’t have the new version, this is what we see on your profile page:
afbeelding

And this is how we see you on the channel pages:
afbeelding