[Viki Community Team] An Update on A&C Segmenting and Rewards

I wrote no such thing.

You are beyond rude and you are twisting my words and now you are openly admittiing that you have no respect whatsoever for me. Well, then this is also the end of the respect I used to have for you. You don’t have to reply anymore and you can mute all you want. I am done with you. Bye bye, Irmar.

1 Like

It’s the end of an era. :cry:

it’s true that segmenting is much more interesting and fun than A&C.

We already know that Viki is trying to rely less and less on volunteers. In the beginning, it was just a platform for subtitling random videos. Then the drama fans/volunteers came along and turned the website into a streaming platform for Asian dramas. Now, they get rid of us but want us to correct their segments and subtitles…

6 Likes

My stake in this isn’t anywhere near the active contributors since life’s kept me away from working on dramas, but I’m glad to see this finally resolved. I do think it’s about the best solution we can ask for right now, but I only wish the segmenting experience could be overhauled on a technical level as there are so many additional steps and tricks we learn in NSSA only made necessary by the myriad glitches and quirks the current interface has. I don’t like the idea that a segment when replaying vs. playing the first time can have completely different starting and ending points based on HOW you go about the repeat, I wish we had finer tuned controls, I wish we could place subtitles on other places of the screen than dead bottom center (anyone who’s worked on a variety show knows this pain), and wish we had an editor that promised WYSIWYG-- it would improve onboarding for new segmenters immensely.

Part of what I deeply prefer about segmenting vs A&C is that when we segment, we have the ability to handle pacing in a natural way, something that feels pleasant and we get a sense of based on our experience working on similar shows. Most of what I ended up working on here on Viki was CDramas, and that meant we were doing cleanup work for shows that were blatantly machine translated where every second or third word is a caption and on-screen text means it’s time to ball up and have a cry. This is kind of an agonizing experience and feels like more time investment for worse results.

Beyond that, I feel that there was a crucial slip. Communication from Viki’s end was very poor about these changes. I’m glad that through the hard work of the incredible folks that keep NSSA and in communication with the main company, a solution was found for these multi language pre-subs shows. But at the end of the day, there’s only so much volunteers can do on their own. I feel that more should have been done on the company side to make sure we have the tools we need to effectively do our part, and when it comes to major changes like the wave of Adjust Only and multi-presub shows, we really needed way more clear unified communication than we got as I found myself pretty much scratching my head the entire time it was going on. I’m VERY glad that this has changed and that the situation was resolved with much clearer communication and I hope this is the new standard going forward with any major changes.

I appreciate Viki as a platform; I no longer have my QC status due to my hiatus but I intend to keep subscribing until I earn it back. Still, I feel that the soul is being lost. Part of that can’t be helped now that every streaming service is trying to cash in on the demand for kdramas and similar content and there’s more competition for licensing shows, but I miss the Global TV direction, bilingual subs/learn mode options, etc. and hope some day they can pivot back to the direction of Global TV with room for other regions-- no idea if that’s financially viable in the current climate, but one can dream.

14 Likes

THIS^ I started watching Eye Love You on ■■■■■■■ (because it got there first) only the Japanese was subbed. The Korean was completely unsubbed. Got 2 episodes in gave up and waited for Viki to get it.

2 Likes

Hope this will be soon :sweat_smile:.

6 Likes

So will the Segmenters no longer be able to create a segment at all? Sometimes there is dialog or OST or signs that is not already segmented and the segmenters have to create a segment for it. Will segmenters no longer have this capability? We need to be able to include missing things.

3 Likes

We will be able to do that but it will be A&C and A&C +. It’s not as fun as raw-segmenting but I guess it’s better than nothing.

4 Likes

If that was the case, we could not even ad credits. Besides, we also create a segment when we split something.

5 Likes

Thanks for clarifying about the segment creation. I’m glad that it can still be done when needed.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. The announcement about A & C made it sound like segmenters would only be able to work with whatever segments were already in place.

4 Likes

That would be horrible.

4 Likes

That would be called A&P and not A&C and if we only had adjusting and sometimes pasting, then I would stop working as a segger to be honest. A&C and A&C + is ok (I kind of like A&C E+P) but if there is a day when I can’t change the segments, then that’s the day I can’t continue. I love being a segger and a sensei but just adjusting isn’t for me.

8 Likes

Or adjust-only if we don’t touch the subs…

Actually, as long as we can combine, it’s not either of those. But it would be very weird cause then we could combine but not split. And not add necessary segments. I guess that version would have a whole new name:

CwS (Combining without Segmenting) :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Call it what you want but if I can’t be a segger and just move things around then I’m not interested. :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah, then we will all go on strike. :placard:

4 Likes

Thank you for raising this issue, in most dramas I have had more than 25 segmenters per drama, considering that there is no more segmentation a lot of them have pulled out, many have told me that they are not going to waste their precious time to get one or two segments and these are exactly those segments (Inscription on the door, store, place, or bar… if we exclude credit). Now calculate how many such segments there are, and if we divide them into 25 segmenters, how many segments will those segmenters get per one drama they will work on? I personally feel sorry for those people who are learning to be segmenters, spending their free time to learn something that will later make them feel bitter because they won’t be able to do what they were trained to do. In other words, they have no choice but to become CEs and push aside the old CEs that don’t work quickly even though they do complete text checking. Ultimately, our Viki, which had the best translation, will become like other platforms where nothing else matters, only speed.

7 Likes

I agree, it would be intolerable if the ability to create segments when needed was totally taken away.

4 Likes