Viki guideline - rules

Hi guys,

This is just a remind to everyone, specially to the Channel Managers who adds moderators with less than 3000 subs.

"Viki Community Guidelines"

-Channel Manager :
Actively participate in managing the Channel (For upcoming on-air titles, this includes channel team recruitment before the title begins as well as management/moderation of the channel team during and after a title is on-air; for library titles, this includes being an active point of contact with Moderators, channel team members and/or interested volunteers.)
Manage no more than 3 on-air Channels at the same time
A newly approved Channel must have activity within 48 hours
You may create individual Channel rules, but those rules may not conflict with the Viki Terms of Service, Privacy Policy or Community Guidelines
The Channel Masthead should contain only images from the content shown in the Channel, such as official posters
Channel Team Names may not contain derogatory, discriminating, explicit, insulting or otherwise negative words
Do not discourage anyone from participating on your Channel, or on Viki
Do not “blacklist” community members
Do not delete comments unless they do not follow Community Guidelines
Managers of anime channels may not add or edit any channel information, such as channel name, channel description, channel design, episode descriptions or masthead images

-Moderator:
Contribute at least 3000 subtitles, in the Moderator’s language, before becoming a Moderator. (For on-air titles or any title without videos, these subtitles can be created after videos are made available.)
Actively participate in the Channel (For upcoming on-air titles, this includes subtitler recruitment before and during the title begins as well as moderation of the language subtitling team and subtitles during and after a title is on-air; for library titles, this includes being an active point of contact with fellow moderators of the same language, channel team members and/or interested volunteers.)
Act as a Moderator on no more than 4 on-air Channels at the same time
You may create individual Channel rules, but those rules may not conflict with the Viki Terms of Service, Privacy Policy or Community Guidelines
Do not discourage members from participating on your Channel, or on Viki
Do not “blacklist” community members
Do not delete comments unless they do not follow Community Guidelines

I really hope everyone follow these rules, because this is becoming a mess.
And also I think viki should give more importance when someone gets reported. :confused:

2 Likes

hahahah Oh yeah, sure.
But I’ve seen some CM’s adding some moderators with less than 3000 subs and also they are beginners on viki.
To be honest they are not good translations either. It really frustrates me. :confused:

1 Like

yup like how I got nominated for QC status before getting 3000 subtitles.

1 Like

What should we do as a community when viki corporate isn’t following its own guidelines?
There was a variety show I was moderately interested in subtitling, and even more when i learned a fellow viki contributor wanted to watch.

Unfortunately the channel manager was a known plagiarizer who was caught twice doing so. They were confronted about it and denied denied denied. I’m sure subtitling and managing are different things, but I do not want to support viki’s bad behavior in this way. So I am for now indefinitely not joining that team.

Another thing I noticed is that the no more than 3 on-air channels rule per person is not being adhered to. What are some ways we can encourage viki the company to adhere to its own rules?

5 Likes

aww gee thanks.

1 Like

Im a bit puzzled, I think there are mods who work on more than 4 on air channels… there is a channel manager who is also a mod and a subber, wow thats multitasking, or not :scream:

1 Like

Viki asks volunteers to not work on more than 4 on-air dramas as moderator or 3 on-air as manager so the volunteer could really focus on the 2-4 on-air dramas that they’re manager/moderator for. Of course, that “rule” is oftenly broken because 1) there aren’t enough volunteers for that role 2) people want a “higher” status.

1 Like

Very good point.

“Do not discourage members from participating on your Channel, or on Viki”
Good rule, really.
And what we supposed to do, when someone discourages us from participating?
No, I don’t mean busy CMs who answer long after we send them a letter asking a permission to participate. I mean not answering at all (without an obvious reason, like the CM’s or the Mod’s hiatus, etc.).
What should we do in this case?
Just let it go? Then why we need rules?

2 Likes

We need the “don’t discourage people from volunteering” so there will be more volunteers which means a higher profit for Viki.

Well, that’s what I think.

I’ve also had moments where a user completely ignore my message, but I know that they’re active. Like, at least give me something.

Viki is not even following all their guidelines sometimes so to me it’s understandable that volunteers don’t follow them all either at some points.
Other then that the “don’t discourage people from volunteering” is a bit vague. I do say no to seggers who have zero experience or didn’t have proper seg training at NSSA/Seg101 and I also decline ko-eng subbers who just started learning Korean. Technically I should allow them on my teams by that rule but when I do it becomes chaos, content cannot be properly subbed, subs won’t make sense. The really good volunteers will eventually stay away because they get annoyed to do damage control and deal with the viewers who cannot watch their Kdrama (or whatever) properly because it’s a mess all the time. And I bet that when the content owner sees the mess they will think twice to work with Viki again in the future…

So at the end of the day what is more important? Quality or Quantity?

7 Likes

There is also a run for the position of mods for Korean dramas. Right now I don’t even have time to be a mod but to get the mod position for German you either need to be freakingly fast or you need to have worked with the channel manager before and be liked by them…
And of course I also have noticed people being the Mod of many different dramas at once and at times not even finishing old projects because they were less popular so… yeah.

3 Likes

Have the same problem for Runaway Sweetheart - I remember sending pm to a few members of the channel because I wanted to be added as segger, until finally one of them answered me but later ignored me when I asked specifically to be added because the team is pretty dead and anyone can come and seg\sub (=lots of awful segments that I had to go over and fix\redo).
Let’s say it like this, it’s months later and still no answer from that person.
Feel bad about it since people want to watch it, some even translate it to Spanish and French but no one is official and no structure or coordination.

1 Like

There is a solution to the problem of dormant CMs, @bushuo_woxiaoyu_950, @evilyuli.

If you sent at least one message to the CM and he/she hasn’t responded for a while (ca 1 month), you have to right to apply (and are very likely to be granted) the mod status to the Viki Help centre directly. In the process you should send them a screen capture of your sent messages.

It would otherwise be such a waste not to translate older projects.

2 Likes

Thank you, bozoli, now I will know.
But CMs I mean are not actually dormant: I saw they are active in the day of my PM’s sending, the day after that, so on. And they are active exactly in the TV series I asked about.
Ok, I’ve got an answer here. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

About PM’s being ignored… it sometimes happens to me that I forget to reply or think I did reply but didn’t… sometimes I’m busy with so many things and received so many PM’s . Can’t talk for others but for me I hardly ignore PM’s on purpose. So maybe it’s an idea to send it again after a few days/week (or a bit longer as it’s summer and some might go on holiday).

1 Like

oops. sorry pied piper… I’ll try to release another episode

Are you refering to not working on old projects? I am confused :smiley:
But if you are, I just meant that I even sometimes get PMs from people asking me if I can translate something into German and then these are old projects that already have German mods that I know are active on other channels but still can’t seem to finish these old projects.
(I do admit I have such a channel as well but for this projects the Chinese-Eng translation has ben paused for ever so since the first translation isn’t happening, all other languages are also not happenening…)

Yes the subtitles for English from the native Korean exist except since I never went through 2-8 there’s a high likelihood that dead wrong translations exist.
Staffer subber subbed it up.

That happens with Portuguese moderation too.
I’ve reported it to viki, but as someone said I think viki cares more about Quantity than Quality. :confused:

1 Like