Viki guideline - rules

Viki asks volunteers to not work on more than 4 on-air dramas as moderator or 3 on-air as manager so the volunteer could really focus on the 2-4 on-air dramas that they’re manager/moderator for. Of course, that “rule” is oftenly broken because 1) there aren’t enough volunteers for that role 2) people want a “higher” status.

1 Like

Very good point.

Do not discourage members from participating on your Channel, or on Viki
Good rule, really.
And what we supposed to do, when someone discourages us from participating?
No, I don’t mean busy CMs who answer long after we send them a letter asking a permission to participate. I mean not answering at all (without an obvious reason, like the CM’s or the Mod’s hiatus, etc.).
What should we do in this case?
Just let it go? Then why we need rules?

2 Likes

We need the “don’t discourage people from volunteering” so there will be more volunteers which means a higher profit for Viki.

Well, that’s what I think.

I’ve also had moments where a user completely ignore my message, but I know that they’re active. Like, at least give me something.

Viki is not even following all their guidelines sometimes so to me it’s understandable that volunteers don’t follow them all either at some points.
Other then that the “don’t discourage people from volunteering” is a bit vague. I do say no to seggers who have zero experience or didn’t have proper seg training at NSSA/Seg101 and I also decline ko-eng subbers who just started learning Korean. Technically I should allow them on my teams by that rule but when I do it becomes chaos, content cannot be properly subbed, subs won’t make sense. The really good volunteers will eventually stay away because they get annoyed to do damage control and deal with the viewers who cannot watch their Kdrama (or whatever) properly because it’s a mess all the time. And I bet that when the content owner sees the mess they will think twice to work with Viki again in the future…

So at the end of the day what is more important? Quality or Quantity?

7 Likes

There is also a run for the position of mods for Korean dramas. Right now I don’t even have time to be a mod but to get the mod position for German you either need to be freakingly fast or you need to have worked with the channel manager before and be liked by them…
And of course I also have noticed people being the Mod of many different dramas at once and at times not even finishing old projects because they were less popular so… yeah.

3 Likes

Have the same problem for Runaway Sweetheart - I remember sending pm to a few members of the channel because I wanted to be added as segger, until finally one of them answered me but later ignored me when I asked specifically to be added because the team is pretty dead and anyone can come and seg\sub (=lots of awful segments that I had to go over and fix\redo).
Let’s say it like this, it’s months later and still no answer from that person.
Feel bad about it since people want to watch it, some even translate it to Spanish and French but no one is official and no structure or coordination.

1 Like

There is a solution to the problem of dormant CMs, @bushuo_woxiaoyu_950, @evilyuli.

If you sent at least one message to the CM and he/she hasn’t responded for a while (ca 1 month), you have to right to apply (and are very likely to be granted) the mod status to the Viki Help centre directly. In the process you should send them a screen capture of your sent messages.

It would otherwise be such a waste not to translate older projects.

2 Likes

Thank you, bozoli, now I will know.
But CMs I mean are not actually dormant: I saw they are active in the day of my PM’s sending, the day after that, so on. And they are active exactly in the TV series I asked about.
Ok, I’ve got an answer here. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

About PM’s being ignored… it sometimes happens to me that I forget to reply or think I did reply but didn’t… sometimes I’m busy with so many things and received so many PM’s . Can’t talk for others but for me I hardly ignore PM’s on purpose. So maybe it’s an idea to send it again after a few days/week (or a bit longer as it’s summer and some might go on holiday).

1 Like

oops. sorry pied piper… I’ll try to release another episode

Are you refering to not working on old projects? I am confused :smiley:
But if you are, I just meant that I even sometimes get PMs from people asking me if I can translate something into German and then these are old projects that already have German mods that I know are active on other channels but still can’t seem to finish these old projects.
(I do admit I have such a channel as well but for this projects the Chinese-Eng translation has ben paused for ever so since the first translation isn’t happening, all other languages are also not happenening…)

Yes the subtitles for English from the native Korean exist except since I never went through 2-8 there’s a high likelihood that dead wrong translations exist.
Staffer subber subbed it up.

That happens with Portuguese moderation too.
I’ve reported it to viki, but as someone said I think viki cares more about Quantity than Quality. :confused:

1 Like

Yup, I just saw this with new(er) kdramas when looking at german mods, the names are quite known, it’s a run for powergrab, right now I have no time to mod dramas I still mod an cdrama with 54 eps and historical where no one stays really long plus other drama subbing, but there seems to be a high competition between some mods that run fast or reserve seats under table which is not fair to other mods or could be mods.
2 weeks ago I got an email asking me to transcribe hard english subs, I responded quite quickly, or same day, 2 weeks later still no reply from someone who desperately was seeking help. Oh well I don’t run after, it’s their loss.
There are sometimes dramas that don’t get licensed only perhaps monthes later, so people do mod on an airing drama(s) in the meantime, then the old drama gets licensed and usually the mod should pick up where left but during the waiting time some or all subbers would/could have run off and the mod needs to get his team (again) in order to continue.

1 Like

It actually makes me a bit mad when someone is the same role on most dramas. I just feel like they don’t have much of a connection with their language team, and they wouldn’t be very attentive. Yes, I know that there are moderators who multitask many dramas wonderfully, but I know plenty who just can’t do their job correctly. That’s why I’m going to try to give people who haven’t been moderator before a chance to be a moderator if I ever manage an on-air drama.

2 Likes

No more than 3 or 4 on-air dramas at the same time. Ha ha ha! It must be the most frequently broken rule here!
I agree that moderators who take too many projects tend to not check properly the work done by the team under them. I know I moderate one on-air drama at this time, and all the others have had to take backseat, because it takes so much of my time. (But then besides moderating I also do editing and individual coaching) Being a CM, moderator and subtitler is OK, I think, that’s no big deal. Provided you don’t do this on ten shows at the same time, of course. Frankly, a Channel Manager, once gathered the teams, does not have a big workload.
Moreover, I have noticed that nobody takes the time to moderate the timed comments. I go and eliminate all the comments containing F words in the dramas where I am moderator - and believe me, there always are a lot, as well as those “When are the subtitles coming?” “Are you still at 80%” which are completely irrelevant one day after.

@linea_kdrama: It’s not only for German. To get a place in a new k-drama, you have to visit news sites daily and the moment a drama is announced come and grab the position, even before the main leads have signed the contract. Otherwise, by visiting its page, you will immediately see one of the 5-6 usual names as moderators of your language.
@dudie: In the case of people clearly unsuitable I “encourage” them to take a hiatus and try coming to viki a bit later, after they have learned the language for some more years.
@icedthy: Giving a chance to newbies is wonderful, and of course necessary, but after making sure the person knows what they’re doing, not just saying “yes” to random people. Looking at their contributions, making sure they know the rules, talking to them etc.

1 Like

Yes, I know. I always check their contributions before adding them to the team. If they don’t have any contributions, I’ll keep a close eye on them. Otherwise, I’ll try to check their progress and work on the drama I’m managing when I am not so busy. I sometimes copy random subs from their contributions to make sure they’re not copying from Google Translate, too. :smirk:

1 Like

I have been told it is very hard to be german mod. The germans follow cm’s to see if they get new projects and ask within minutes of channel approval.

2 Likes

it’s easier at historical chinese projects because it’s more difficult due to the historic honorifics not many want to take it since not many (if any at all) subbers are interested… majority run after on air, it feels sometimes like “Rat Race” (movie) hehe :scream:
I have apprenticed 2 mods.
And I wonder about Quality over Quantity…