Viki Staff deleting a non abuser's contributions without any proof is not at all fair! We need justice for nimi_stepinac! for god sake she is not an abuser

I still remember that time… It was a really big ‘scandal’ (lack of a better word). Many people also decided to leave around that time.

4 Likes

This is sad and unacceptable. Let’s hope Viki will rectify it soon.
@padmalayag Thanks for bringing it to the community’s attention.

7 Likes

It’s been at least 2-3 years that Viki mistreats volunteers. back then, they gave the impression that they wanted to go full for-profit and wanted to get rid of the community. Their helpdesk has been a mess since.

7 Likes

As I tell everyone, where there is smoke, there is fire. Once one person starts getting whiffs, people start paying attention, notifications between English teams start to circulate. The Korean drama community is especially problematic.

It takes forever for Viki to respond to problems, as we all know. So for them to “delete” somebody’s subs says a lot.

6 Likes

Although briefly, I worked with Nimi on couple of Korean shows and I found her to be diligent and dependable. I think you have worked with me enough to trust my judgment.

For the sake of all volunteers and the community itself, I hope this issue gets resolved soon.

10 Likes

It is very sad for me to see some of our most respected and popular volunteers not recognising something is indeed very wrong here. Not caring about abusers yet deleting someones all work, not accordingly to the procedure, says quite a lot about it being a biased and rushed decision indeed. We would love to see the proof, if there is any, cause now everyone is worried their efforts may be taken down just because some people dislike them. This wont make the community a healthy place if it goes like that. I hope we all have enough patience to get answers and proofs without pointing fingers. :black_heart:

Love,
Alina

4 Likes

Something against hoarding might be also worth to mention because it’s not that rare during past two years that some volunteers are hoarding 10, 20 projects while others who have no or just 1-2 projects are rejected…

8 Likes

And now, after the community has already explained so well all the points in this issue, let’s turn to what we would like Viki to do at this point.

1. All Nimi’s subs for which there is no concrete evidence were copied from elsewhere - please put them back.

2. For all other subs - please contact Nimi for evidence where they were granted permission to use those subs on Viki.

3. For future reference, please follow your own protocol of careful investigation, conversation with several parties and applying the warning system to deal with potential abusers before making such a drastic move as to delete 40.000 subs. Bear in mind that receiving 5 complaints about one potential abuser may all come from one person with several Viki accounts. Aka, follow the principle of “innocent before proven guilty”.

4. Please deal with all abuser complaints on an equal level (no matter who the volunteer is) and within an equal timeframe (first complaint filed, first to be resolved). I’m sure there is a stack of complaints for @giant_sean. They are a thorn in our eye. An insult to our honest volunteer work here at Viki.

13 Likes

I’d like to add something about the “translation software” aspect.

During past year some mod mates and I start checking weird subs of our projects (of new subbers /subbers who are new in our teams).

The outcome was this:

In most cases the weird/wrong subs were written by the subbers without using translation software (like Google) - because Google usually had a correct translation.

For simple short sentences the translation software (like Google) very often had the same sentence as a subber (we checked our own translation for short simple sentences too).

I’m mentioning this here because in case of false reports it could happen under certain circumstances that someone is accused of using Google even when the person doesn’t use it…

9 Likes

This doesn’t surprise me at all.

I’m a school teacher and, over the years, I estimate that I’ve taught around two thousand students for whom English is a second language. All my lessons are in English. I’ve found that students who speak English as a second language vary a great deal in how they translate information. The factors that affect this that I’ve found are:

(1) the depth and breadth of an individual’s English vocabulary;
(2) the speed with which a brain processes information;
(3) the speed with which a brain retrieves information;
(4) the vocabulary options that a brain provides when a student is trying to assemble the information.

I can only speak English and I greatly admire everyone who can speak more than one language. I’ve found in all cases that when students translate between languages, they sincerely do the best job they can with the tools they have. The end result, though, can vary a great deal depending on a student’s familiarity with English and expertise in using it.

Based on my experience, I’m guessing that what I’ve found in regards to English translations also applies to language translations in general.

5 Likes

I hope you are not pointing your comment at me. There are some things I know that you don’t. I didn’t mention them because it’s not my place.

There are people on Viki, RIGHT NOW, with proof of involvement of several volunteers who abuse the system. You say they are deleting Viki’s work not according to the procedure. HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY DIDN’T FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE? Because someone cried they are being cheated.

I’m not defending Viki because they piss me off more than anything on several things… but you can’t take one side of the story because that person said they were innocent.

Maybe I’m a pessimist. The countless times I’ve caught people cheating. The reports I’ve made. When I have screen shots and even show the abuser of what I caught… I still get the “but I wasn’t copying” scenario when every line is verbatim, word for word.

8 Likes

Because they never bothered contacting the person involved to explain. Which they would if that person had 400.000 subs instead of 40.000.

2 Likes

Im not sure why are you suddenly upset? This is not a dictatorship and as a fellow volunteer i got every right to ask, we invest our times and effort here. Im not asking for a proof to be shown to me directly but even the fact that this person was never warned by Viki nor that given notice beforehand nor got their account deleted shows that procedure Viki shared in their ToS is not followed.

And excuse me but how insulting it is to say “Someone cried?” How would you feel if all your efforts were dumped over nothing, wihtout even your information? There are many others who are active part of our community and they vouch for her. Viki lets “fake subtitlers with fake accounts” remain active yet treats someone who had been volunteering for 2 years this way? Im an optimist myself, yet i do not see anything logical nor good here.

Its COMMON between CM’s of Drama/Movie duos like Love in Black Hole, Color Rush, Your Playlist, to reach out one another and use one another’s subtitle. Im sure you know this better than I since you know things that I do not know. Thats what Nimi also did. How can this be cheating when both parties contacted each other and use the work for Viki after both party agreed to do so?

3 Likes

Or because they didn’t contact people who were/would have been directly affected by their decision. I am a CM, moderator and editor of three shows that were affected. Not once did anyone contact me about this situation before deleting subs. They did not ask if these subs were incorrect.

Not to mention this person subtitled in various languages, if one was abused, why make other (which was perfectly fine) suffer?

Their hasty decision made us loose 2, I repeat 2 great volunteers from Hindi community. Someone was already annoyed by how Viki handled problems, this issue just added fuel to the fire, and they deleted their account. Well, Viki has nothing to do with anyone deleting their account, but it’s a loss for our entire Hindi community.

I not only lost a co-moderator but also an editor. Does anybody know how hard it is for small languages like mine to find proficient editors?

Nimi was there to help Let Me be your knight’s hindi team when rest of the subbers were not doing their tasks. She filled in the gaps. When I started my hiatus, she volunteered to help me on Yumi’s Cells.

Their decision has directly affected three of my dramas where she is completely innocent. If there is proof, then is that proof for all the dramas she was part of? Dramas A-Z? For all the languages she subtitled in? Was she such a bad person that even her training segments in NSSA were deleted?

Viki, I need an answer.

8 Likes

I’m just saying… evidence was brought to Viki attention… SOMETHING, enought to warrant them to delete it. The end.

4 Likes

Im kindly asking Viki to allow us to know what was the offense, since there are many other alleged stories came up. I think its my right as well as any other volunteers right. Saying SOMETHING and yelling one another wont get us anywhere.

I’d like to ask you to speak in a softer tone, please, I am not here to be scolded by anyone, I’m here to volunteer and its logical for me to ask what was the problem so I can trust Viki’s decision and my efforts wont be removed without any proof next day only to be known by “FEW PEOPLE” who know things. Nothing ended yet, we will be waiting to hear from Viki Staff.

4 Likes

Volunteers, please don’t “fight” over this matter. It doesn’t help in resolving the issue at hand.

If the action taken by Viki was done after consideration with evidence, together with at least a notification to the volunteer(s) concerned, I’d agree that the action (deletion) was not done in error. All it takes, right now, is for a Viki staff to address this issue here.

Can we hear from one of you, please? @vikicommunity
TIA.

6 Likes

yes, it’s better to end there and waiting for viki’s reply. (Which can be long with our staff snails members)

YES :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s why when report, I don’t copy the short sentences. The “okay” will for sure be translated as “okay”, the “thank you” in no way will be translated different than “thank you”.
But with the longer ones you can clearly see it, when it’s the word for word and even letter for letter from gt (especially with gender changes :frowning: )

(If someone uses gt for help, but still makes decent subs, I don’t care that much, it just irritates me, that I have a very obvious case without any changes from gt and there is nothing done about it since september, sorry for venting :frowning: )

8 Likes

I do not think anyone here was fighting. It is just that cannot tolerate rudeness when I’m approaching someone else with kindness, and it is against Viki Community Guidelines to insult another volunteer by using such sentences as “they cried…”. Respect is not given to one party, it goes both ways.

We were already waiting for a reply from Viki, as we should, so I’m unsure why some people thought it was their place to defend an action taken by the staff. It was just many people here were showing support for a fellow volunteer they personally know but somehow it got some people mad out of nowhere.

Thanks, anyone for being so concerned about our precious community. I’d be happy if we can stop presenting this as if its an internal war in the community, when what we simply want are answers from @vikicommunity . Let us keep it respective and nice!

6 Likes