Volunteering to delete all the subtitle requests

Dear Viki,
I don’t want any money for this. I will do it on my free time. I will delete all the deluge of “Subtitulos en español por favor”, “A quand les sous-titres français?” and “Why subs are not there yet?” comments under the episodes. At least until the episode is subtitled.
If there is a conversation under the request, someone explaining how the subtitling works etc., I will leave it, as it might be useful to others who will read it in the future.
I promise I won’t delete anything else, I won’t abuse your trust. You can have some staff do random checks, have a quick look every now and then on what I deleted, if you like, to make sure. Or you can give me this “power” only for the first 48 hours of an episode being aired. After that, it should be subtitled already and this kind of comment stops.

It’s impossible to find any useful or interesting comment or conversation about episodes because of those. So either give this power to CMs or please let me do it.

Pleeease?

P.S. I know these comments are on disqus. But you can tell disqus and they will oblige, I am sure. After all, the comments are on viki pages, I’m sure you have some powers over them.

And oh, by the way, could you please post a “Don’t request subtitles, this won’t make them come more quickly” on top of every comment section? It might slightly help.

WHILE WE’RE AT IT:
Let’s include the fake reviews, the ones only giving bad votes because there aren’t any subs yet or the show is not licensed in their country or it is behind viki pass, and good votes before it even airs because “it sounds nice” and “Oppa is in it”.

All the following examples are a small part on what can be found on Strong Woman Do Bong Soon ep.6

13 Likes

Oh, I’m dying of laughter at your comment reply. I’d gladly sign on as your helper if I had a twin and more than 24 hours in a day.

8 Likes

Wow! They are very committed to spamming the whole comment section I see

5 Likes

:disappointed:
I like subzz requests. They give Viki a “couleur locale” feeling. A landmark of sorts.

(jk)

3 Likes

One could never delete them from all episodes of all shows, it would take a lifetime as a full-time job. So don’t worry.

4 Likes

I just block the users whenever I see them. Must have several thousand blocked by now.

4 Likes

Yes, true, it saves you from seeing them again, but there are always new ones coming every day. And other people can still see them.
Maybe new people are encouraged seeing other people’s subtitle requests and they think “Oh, that’s how it’s done, you have to ask”. (That’s a generous take on the subject…)

4 Likes

I used to try to explain how things work or get them to take the time to learn for themselves but I got sick and tired of it. Now I just block the user whenever I see them,. Sometimes I have to scroll down a long way to find a comment to read.

I also told Viki I will not work on any dramas as long at that comment section is still there.

2 Likes

to me it’s like 101 in a language crash course, lol, repetition helps you to memorize :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Seeing the multiple variations and the bad grammar (in their own language!), one starts to doubt whether it’s a good idea to learn from these sentences.

4 Likes

but @irmar, there was that irony as well, it was a joke it was figuratively meant not as a true language course, because of the frequency “plz subs” and their variation :wink:

2 Likes

I know! If you went to a foreign country and the only thing you knew of the language was not “Where is the bus stop?” or “How much does a sandwich cost?” but “Give me subtitles” you wouldn’t get far. ROFL! :laughing:
But I wanted to also point out how these people either don’t know how to write properly in their own language or are too lazy to do so.

6 Likes

How about this one? Posted 20 minutes after segmenters got to Part 3 of 4.

“Pls…don’t forget to translate the language of English version to this drama thank you :blush:.”

5 Likes

It is especially bad in Arabic. They would not only ask for subs, they would curse volunteers. It really annoys me. I spend my time subbing and all I get is foul language from people who can’t wait until the English team finish subbing, so that we can start.

Comments says: (I hope you eat shit)

That user also had another more foul comment but it was deleted.

7 Likes

today people’s expressions have become publicly more vulgar, I believe it is a generation thing, the polite ways of speaking in public has been reduced and replaced with a kind of angry and swears using attitude as if it were the latest trend, the same goes for writing, we are experiencing writing gaps because younger generation grows up with texting using abbreviated words… I saw this with my children and unfortunately use some as well because today is everything about speed.

1 Like

You are very right, we see this in every language. But, although using abbreviated language is deplorable and irritating, swearing and cursing at volunteers is really going too far.
The worst site in this respect is youtube (out of the big ones we all know). The sort of things people write to each other -for the most trivial reasons- is inimaginable. Racial and religious slurs, sexism, political hatred, you name it, it’s there, even under a video of an innocent song celebrating springtime.

3 Likes

Viki staff should go through these comments and delete all of them!!

2 Likes

Which brings us back to my original post… if they don’t have enough people to do it, then we can!

4 Likes

Texting and abbreviated words have nothing to do with cursing at people in the rudest way.

1 Like

I think it’s just that the internet is a very public place and it creates a false sense of a sudden Rise of the Rudes.

People who have bad manners will act that way, either by posting online, scribbling a curse on a public toilet door or drawing obscene graffiti on school desks.

Abbreviations seem alien to today’s older people (compared to teens or young adults), but this happens with any generation, for obvious reasons. I use emoji, abbreviations, curses (I try to avoid that) and whatever helps me express myself at any given moment, but my language skills have never been questioned. It comes down to individuals, not natural progress of things, IMHO.

Txting and cursing at strangers unprovoked are unrelated.

3 Likes