What are you currently watching?

Welcome back! :slight_smile:

Hmm … she probably won’t take that as a compliment! :thinking:

2 Likes

I didn’t even see it or maybe I just forgot about it LOL

Currently I am watching way to many shows but here I am watching after so many years still so many at the same time:
General’s Lady at Ep 9
It’s Okay to Not Be Okay at ep 3
Lie After Lie at ep 15
My Dangerous Wife at ep 7
Tale of the Nine-Tailed at ep 6
The Moon Brightens For You at ep 11
Under the Power at ep 43

I have to say that Under the Power was good until Ep 40 I guess because I didnt watched this further after some dragging eps.:sweat_smile: But I like General’s lady so far and the chemistry between the leads is really awesome :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

woww that’s a LOT to watch simultaneously! I can’t watch more than one a time because I get so invested in the story that I HAVE to finish it, then I need like a day(a week for the REALLY amazing ones) to soak it in and listen to the OST and watch fanmade videos, THEN I get ready to pick a new one :sweat_smile:

do give it a watch!! it’s a gripping story, but what stands out most for me is Lee Joon Gi’s ahMAZING acting I was blown away :exploding_head:

-me making a mental note avoid wuxia at all costs :flushed:-

4 Likes

Well maybe not avoid them all, there are lots of shows that fall into that genre, just apply that thorough research of shows that you do to protect your own sanity and you’ll be ok. If the show does that then I’m sure you will know soon enough which ones as it will have garnered lots of peeved reviewers!

4 Likes

Hahah true. The reviews / comments will let you know.
I don’t mind it though, but I understand that a lot of people hate it when something ends like that. I only dislike it when the reason is really stupid.

3 Likes

Still I wonder: How can it be fun to already know how it ends?

5 Likes

I don’t think they research to find out the actual ending, just enough to avoid the ones that don’t finish with the “and they lived happily ever after”. I can understand others being so bugged by it. We in the west have always been fed the ‘end the film on a feel good factor’.
These C-drama writers sure do have different way of thinking. Main lead character that you’ve just invested 30-60 odd episodes on and taking a liking to? Let’s kill them off in the last episode, YAY!
I’ve seem enough to know these type of endings are a thing so it doesn’t bug me as much anymore, but it is quite perplexing why they do it, I suspect for emotional clout.

5 Likes

got another one from NF, almost like BLACK, called Devils Punisher, and the guy wears black!! the first episode was very interesting. I think if you liked Black you will like this one. different actors, and all but still good

1 Like

Yeah I noticed that too (certain countries are more obsessed with happy endings). I grew up reading not the Disney version of fairy tales so I always knew they were kind of messed up and people didn’t have happy endings :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Still you would know the hero won’t die. So if he/she is in some dangerous situation, where you would normally be on the edge of your seat, biting your nails, making quick prayers, your heart beating, whatever … You would now by each dangerous scene think: “Oh, well, he’ll survive … let’s pour another cup of tea, tralala.”

Btw, we in the west have tons of tragic movies … And books, for that matter.

Personally I think the ending should suit the drama. Happy or tragic.

4 Likes

True, that’s a risk of researching the ending, but it’s a safety net for those with fragile emotions. Some people can’t handle it if it deviates from that norm. I think in those situations we have a minimum expectations of the good guys always wins/good triumphs over evil by default as a subconscious safety net, so if it was only halfway though a film or drama then yes, what ever happens it’s time to put the kettle on because everything will work out in the end towards that expectation.
They’re probably the easiest to screenplay for, if one of the good guys is killed they can write in a tearjerker scene, “Stay with me… Hang on! …NOOOOooo!” :sob::sob::sob:
A baddie gets killed 'yeah! kill 'em! kill ‘em good!’
Still, even if they know one of the main lead dies, they shouldn’t find out which one (the male or female lead for example) otherwise, yes, I totally agree, what’s the point of watching if they “already know the plot” !?

Yes, the ones that stays true to the story. I was mainly thinking of something like Hollywood doing things like screening tests with follow up questionnaires, and deliberately changing bits to ensure audience associated movie going as a feel good experience. (repeat business)

Totally, if it’s meant to be tragic then I want to be left ugly crying! It’s those damn Ninjas chopping onions again! Honest!

4 Likes

Yes, some of the original being ‘moral of the story’ rather than fairy tales were really messed up to drive the point home. Perfect bedtime reading for parents to keep kids in check! :rofl:

3 Likes

Lol, I could see the fragile souls root for one of the leads and then end up feeling guilty for “wishing” the other lead to end up dead. :stuck_out_tongue:

What happened to surprising the audience? :rofl:

I wonder why you’re on their “black list”. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Exactly. Nothing like scaring and scarring your children at night :laughing:
I remember that my library had a few different collections of fairy tales from around the world and I read them all. Most of them are messed up, so it must be an universal thing :wink:

Luckily my mom never cared about reading fairy tales to us, but choose other books instead :laughing:

Very true. Some are really heartbreaking though. I don’t think I can watch them again. Once is good enough (I’m looking at you Grave of the Fireflies - I’m re-watching Ghibli movies).

3 Likes

Yeah, so true. I can’t remember which drama it was, but the writers changed the ending of it because the audience heard rumors about the ending and were furious. But the ending didn’t feel right to me. Sure, it was what the viewers wanted, but not what fit the story in my opinion or what the writers had intended. Not to say that they can’t change the ending. Sometimes the changes work out for the better.

3 Likes

I feel u with the ghibli movies because I am an huge fan and have bought my fave 6 films :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

But even then I don’t need an happy ending maybe because it’s closer to the reality and maybe because I am also hardened through many years of watching kdramas and cdramas as well ^^ So I don’t ever look for spoiler and try to avoid them :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Which films, if I may ask? :smile:

1 Like

Ui, let me see their English names XD

1. Howl’s Moving Castle (ALL TIME FAVORITE!) :heart::heart::heart:
  2. Princess Mononoke
  3. Spirited Away
  4. When Marnie Was There
  5. The Cat Returns
  6. Whisper of the Heart

And you, @feyfayer? :kissing_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

I usually don’t pick favorites :sweat_smile:. Now that I’m re-watching the movies, I’m noticing a lot more of the smaller details. Some of the movies that I watched over 10 years ago and didn’t like as much, stand out to me way more.

I’ll tell you what I like in each movie I re-watched instead if that’s okay.

Howl’s Moving Castle: the scenery is gorgeous, the music is so great (Merry Go around of Life is such a great piece), one of the Ghibli movies that greatly conveys Miyazaki’s hatred of war, the love between Sophie and Howl, the comedic aspects in it. All in all, great movie.

Princess Mononoke: the theme is so clear and concise and the male character Ashitaka is such a great character. The score is great at conveying emotions and the drawing is amazing - how was this made over 20 years ago? This was my husband’s first Ghibli movie from his childhood and he loves it.

Spirited Away: the score - whenever that plays, it gives me so many emotions. So beautiful. Great world-building and beautiful scenery. Chihiro is also a great character and watching her grow as a character really brings the movie to life.

The Cat returns: such a fun movie. It’s charming and fun. Haru is so likeable, Muta is so funny, the Baron is very interesting. Another great example of world-building. And the transitions between sounds is such a pleasure to listen to.

(Marnie and Whisper of the Heart are on the list to re-watch :wink:)

Nausicaa: I still hear the score when I’m going to sleep (La la la la la la la), it’s so haunting. Nausicaa is such a great character. She’s kind, really cares for nature and actively looks for ways to learn and solve the problem. World-building is also great and Miyazaki’s hatred for war is again very present, along with his concerns for the planet.

My neighbour Totoro: Totoro, Totoro :musical_note: The song is super catchy and the score is very recognizable. It’s cute, it’s funny and a heartwarming adventure. Very re-watchable (I have not seen this movie too many times, what are you talking about? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:).

Rapyuta: Castle in the sky: the score is great - so much emotion. The intro is great and the action scenes are done so well. Such a great debut.

Grave of the fireflies: So I haven’t re-watched this, nor will I, but the story telling and score are heartbreaking and done so incredibly well.

The rest of the films I still have to re-watch, and I know this was made before studie Ghibli was filmed, but Lupin basically put them on a wider map, so I’m going to include it (Lupin was my first introduction to Miyazaki’s work and I loved it) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Howl’s Moving Castle : the scenery is gorgeous, the music is so great (Merry Go around of Life is such a great piece), one of the Ghibli movies that greatly conveys Miyazaki’s hatred of war, the love between Sophie and Howl, the comedic aspects in it. All in all, great movie.

This music piece is PURE PERFECTION! I listened this like 100 times on the day and still can hear it until now after so many years, the composer really did outdone himself. :+1::clap:

Princess Mononoke : the theme is so clear and concise and the male character Ashitaka is such a great character. The score is great at conveying emotions and the drawing is amazing - how was this made over 20 years ago? This was my husband’s first Ghibli movie from his childhood and he loves it.

I watched this also 10(?) years ago on the TV and was hooked. You really explained the great aspect’s of the film because I couldn’t describe it so well like you did. I also loved the great change of the forest and how the spirits are reacting to the protagonist.

2 Likes