What are you currently watching?

Hello everyone, just a quick note to share a recommendation - most especially to those of you who also greatly love the Slice-of-Life genre. Yong-jiu Grocery Store — I believe this Taiwanese drama is way underrated and I must tell you the story-telling is top-notch.

I’ve still a few episodes to enjoy (there are 10 total), but couldn’t wait to share a mention. The lead actors portray the depth of their characters beautifully, and the numerous supporting actors, past and present, nearly steal the show. The present-day story entwines with the past, revealing through flashbacks that may not be completely understandable right away, but you will soon say “ahhh” as the story clarifies itself. If you enjoy a drama that feels nostalgic, sentimental and often poignant, please queue up Yong-jiu Grocery Store.
:smiley_cat: sheishun

2 Likes

I’m waiting for season 2. It’s one of the few romance comedy I like.

It’s been a long time …
Last noted here in October Doctors.
Since then, I didn’t feel that great and turned to the old friend the Asian drama.
Woman With a Suitcase - (now it’s restricted, so probably I was lucky with that one) An Okay watch.
Ghost - So Ji Sub, I am guilty.
In a Good Way - a really nice romance if you have not tried, it was restricted for a long time in my region finally was able to watch it.
Mother - thrilling, I had to watch even I turn away from violence scenes.
Wok of Love - enjoyed the funny mood and the kitten
Punch - from the easy watch to a darker story, it hurt - but was still good.
Since the license is back again for the umpteen time Faith.
1% of Something - enjoyed it far more than the original version.
The King of Romance - watched out of boredom and I couldn’t make up my mind on a K-drama there are still so many to watch - I made it to the end. I can’t recall much of the story and since it is now restricted, well …
Caution, Hazardous Wife - it’s been so long for me that I have watched a J-drama and with Haruka Ayase, the good thing about a 10 episode drama from Japan I rarely get bored.
Queen of Mystery - a good watch a young Korean mix of “Miss Marple” and Mrs. Amanda King (if anyone should be able to remember). I heard the 2nd season isn’t as good but since I do not have access I don’t mind season 1 is fairly enough for me.
Radio Romance another one finally accessible and after hearing not too good reactions I still found myself entertained enough to watch the whole show.
Beauty Inside - That was a big surprise for me because I completely forgot about it. This was fun and partly sentimental.
Radiant - If one accepts that the “pictures” are not in the usual red thread succession, even when it comes to flash backs … Then there is so much this drama can offer. And yeah, you might need tissues.
Let Me Introduce Her - I don’t know why I chose this one probably because it has been so long that I watched a drama with Kim Jae Won. Story aaargh, anyway what kept me watching was listening to the OST

The Tale of Nokdu - I kind of expected a fluffy drama but that was a mistake. It offers some cruel scenes but is a beautiful drama that kept me watching. Jang Dong Yoon it made so much fun watching the guy play.
The last drama for 2019 was Dr. John and I still can’t decide if the ending ruined this drama for me, one thing I can admit, I can only forgive it since it’s Ji Sung.
Started last but finished in 2020 The Greatest Show, I was reminded on Stars Falling From the Sky but for the better in execution. I never had so much fun watching Sung Seung Hoon since He Was Cool.
100 Days My Prince - liked it but needed a bit longer to warm up with the show.

Now once again I am at the point, where I don’t know what to watch.
I tried Hotel Del Luna and Melow is My Nature, but could go beyond half an hour or so. Now trying Flower Crew …

After Nokdu, Flower Crew will seem so shallow and badly acted…
Have you watched My Mister? We recently finished subbing it. It’s really good.
I enjoyed very much (not on Viki, sadly) One Spring Night.

2 Likes

Flower Crew 20 minutes into the drama I had such a shallow feeling that I put it aside.
I will watch/try My Mister later.
I started to re-watch Search: www again, I think I really need a good femal lead character at the moment.

1 Like

I’m thinking about watching that one and War of Prosecutors.

I just finished watching Fights Break Sphere (cdrama) and before that, Mask (kdrama)

1 Like

I’m watching My Mister for the second time. I love it very much and I’m so happy that it’s now on Viki! In my opinion, this is a healing drama. I love the story, the script, the direction and all the actors. I highly recommend watching it: it’s a bit sad, but it’s really, really good.

I’m currently watching The Tale of Nokdu, too. I find it refreshing and funny, and the plot seems interesting.

3 Likes

@chiaramasca86_666
(Off topic I hope they don’t ‘‘flag’’ my post)

I think the reason why [My Mister] was sad; it was bc she was left alone when in the ending they should have made it so that when he went to see her (IU) he saw her walking happily hand in hand with a guy, and as he came over to her, he very happily congratulated her. The way she said ‘‘I will invite you to eat something delicious’’ gave me a vibe like she would become his lover in the end. What you think?

1 Like

I think this is somehow a spoiler :grimacing:

In my opinion, they purposely chose an open ending so that everyone could give it a meaning in which they could identify themselves. The most relevant thing is that she is alone both at the beginning and at the end, but now she can rely on herself, so she’s not really alone :relaxed:

2 Likes

@chiaramasca86_666

Good point. Funny how we see the ending differently lol

1 Like

But both points of view seem truly valid: I think it was what the creators of the drama hoped for :yum:.

1 Like

We are discussing My Mister, right? Hehe, I started watching it because of this discussion. I want to see how I will interpret the ending. I’m on ep. 13, so I’m getting there! Meanwhile, please continue, this is very interesting. Open endings can be great tools for passing a message in a drama. I’m excited for the conclusion now! So far, their relationship is just so beautiful in that they complement each other and understand each other–like soulmates without the romantic aspect (at least, in respect to the passionate love. I still think their love for each other is stronger than the love that other kdramas portray *cough Boys Over Flowers).

BTW, the show is a gem, and so is the OST. The acting is hands-down outstanding. For some strange reason, I seem to be on an Lee Sun Kyun drama marathon. I am currently waiting for new eps for War of Prosecutors, and before that, I was watching Pasta. It was unintentional, I promise :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

My eyes light up every time I read positive comments about My Mister. I perfectly agree with you on the nature of their relationship. The show is really a gem, from the beginning to the end.
… And now you’ve made me curious, so I have to watch War of Prosecutors :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’m currently watching Love in the Moonlight here in viki. I have just started it and wondered about how Kim Yoo-Jung was coz I’ve read some news before that she was ill and have stopped acting for awhile.

1 Like

So I finished My Mister, and I don’t think I’ll be able to watch romcoms for a while. As Ji An’s grandma said, their relationship is blessed.

As for the ending, I think that their relationship won’t end up with them being together in a romantic sense. However, I still think that he loves her, in his own way, and she definitely loves him back (I could tell from her expression and her eyes). They have the knowledge that wherever they go, they can be sure that they have someone who knows them, and that is such a soulmate kind of thing. What I mean is, they don’t need to be together to know each other. Take Park Dong Hun and his wife: they were together for years, yet they didn’t really know each other. Lee Ji An and Park Dong Hun were able to know and understand each other in a few months. But that doesn’t stop me from totally wanting their relationship to be romantic. When they hugged for the first time, I realized that I hadn’t seen such a romantic hug as theirs in a long time! :smile:

And I can’t see Park Dong Hun as the kind of guy to divorce his wife. Not because he loves her deeply, or that he forgave her, but because he is loyal to himself and his decision to marry her. They didn’t divorce, right? She just left to live in America…?

Sorry for the long opinion on the ending :sweat:

When I’m ready, I’ll probably watch another ‘serious’ drama, like Misaeng. I’ll look around for dramas where the main relationship is deep and healing. Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree. But I think that it’s just the writers didn’t dare promote openly a relationship with such an age gap. Otherwise, it would be totally possible that they end up together.
Don’t postpone Misaeng. Every chapter feels so cathartic and elating, as you see the main character progressing from darkness to light through sheer willpower and intelligence. Although there is a hint of something romantic which “may” happen but we don’t really see, the main relationship there, the OTP couple in a sort of way is between him and his charismatic boss - who is played by my favourite actor in the whole world, Lee Sung-min.

3 Likes

I think there are too many elements against a classical romantic relationship (regardless of the age gap), in the first place Park Dong Hun’s son: for what I see of Korea, if they dated they would go back to being marginalized. On the other hand, their love is so strong and they can understand each other so well that maybe it would be enough …
Personally, I prefer such a deep friendship (if we can call it that) over any other type of relationship. I know that my opinion is not very popular, but I believe that, in a scale of values, it lies a step above romantic love.
However, I think we all agree that this relationship is deep and healing.

4 Likes

If you haven’t watched the end of My Mister, don’t read this!

I am of the same opinion as you when it comes to deep friendship.
I just finished watching My Mister, and I don’t really care if they end up in a romantic relationship or not, they are already beyond that imo. You said it all so perfectly.
To me their love for eachother is selfless in the right meaning of the word. They show such care and consideration for eachothers healing process that it made me cry.
They are not ruled by desire, jealousy or other selfish feelings, so even if they would feel such feelings, they would not let it hurt the other person. This was shown so many times during the show.
I’m convinced they will help eachother keep healing, no matter how often or seldom they meet, no matter if they enter into a romantic relationship or not. That’s how I enterpreted the end gaze, it was so beautiful to me.
I truly loved the drama! :heart:

Gonna have to check out Misaeng now.

4 Likes

I feel everything you’ve said. This interpretation is extremely beautiful to me, too.

I don’t know if I’m ready to watch Misaeng, because I’m steel too involved in My Mister and I want to finish the re-watch first. But then I’ll give it an opportunity for sure. Maybe we’ll meet here to comment (and cry :sweat_smile:) on that drama, too :wink:.

2 Likes

Haha, yeah, wouldn’t mind that at all. :smile:

2 Likes