What are you currently watching?

I think it’s more about country’s grown relationships and domination of already established old market ‘owners’, e.g within book market. Usually German publishers mainly, in some cases only, translate what is a) American anyway or b) already published and published in the USA.

The way they treat the Western fans of manga is terrible (that’s why the fan translation scene is so strong) and even though it is popular for decades most manga are still not available here or those that were available here often got cancelled in the middle…

It’s similar with many recent Chinese novels that are only fan translated and rarely published for Western readers. (If you look at the clicks of certain stories you’ll see that some are popular here as well).

So I think the old structures how licensing/publishing works (and its aspects where to publish what) are outdated because it often ignores the world citizen feeling of today’s generations.

When the subbers create content on the Viki website, the content becomes Viki’s property. To say it in detail, we still have the rights to our subs and we can use them in a non-commercial way, so we cannot share them to rival websites.
See the Terms of Use article 8 paragraph 3:
You retain all of your ownership rights in your Subtitle Submissions.
Rakuten Viki does not permit use of the Rakuten Viki Services for copyright infringing activities.
In article 11 it says:

11. PROHIBITED CONDUCT

1. use the Rakuten Viki Services for any illegal purpose, or in violation of any local, state, national, or international law, including, without limitation, laws governing intellectual property and other proprietary rights, and data protection and privacy;
  2. use the Rakuten Viki Services for any commercial use, it being understood that the Rakuten Viki Services is for personal, non-commercial use only;

This, in simple words, means that, although we retain the intellectual property of our subs, we cannot use those subs to help websites which infringe copyright.

In the same way, Viki forbids us to copy paste subtitles from other websites
In the Terms of Use (article 8)

1> . You further agree that User Generated Content you submit to the Rakuten Viki Services will not contain third party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material and to grant Rakuten Viki all of the license rights granted herein.
2. You further agree that you will not submit to the Rakuten Viki Services any User Generated Content or other material that is contrary to the Rakuten Viki Community, applicable local, national, and international laws and regulations.

The same is said, in a different way, in the Volunteer Guidelines:

No inappropriate subtitling, which may include but is not limited to:

• Copying subtitles from a non-Viki source

In reality, all dramas and films are intellectual property of a TV-station or entertainment production company. Hence it is illegal to stream, download and share them without payment. Regardless of whether a particular video or genre is popular or not in one of the world’s countries.
Because these sites make money from advertisement (and from premium subscriptions to remove ads), using a content (the videos) they haven’t paid. Just as Viki and other legal streaming sites make money from advertisement (and for subscriptions to remove ads), but pays licenses for that.

You really haven’t taken the time to go to Help Center and read Guidelines, have you? It’s written multiple times.

Here on Community Guidelines:

Be conscious of our uniquely diverse community and refrain from sharing the following:

• Marketing, advertising, spamming or soliciting of outside services or websites

Here on Discussion Guidelines:

Advertising, spamming or soliciting of outside services or websites, including softsubs
Posting or uploading illegal content of any kind
Downloading copyrighted materials, or making them available for download

And also on Comment Guidelines:

Comment Policy

Please refrain from posting the following in Comments, Timed Comments, and Reviews:

• Links, embeds, or mentions of external streaming sites
  • Downloading copyrighted materials, or making them available for download
  • Advertising, spamming or soliciting of outside services or websites, including softsubs

“Making available for download” of course includes giving the name of a website where they can be downloaded. Q.E.D.

3 Likes

Sorry if I am involving myself in a situation than doesn’t have anything to do with me but I don’t think they mean anything other than stopping the VIKI staff from blocking you for not following the guidelines.

2 Likes

Fight my ways awesome!!!

4 Likes
  1. You can also download from most streaming websites, including that one. Look better. I seem to be better acquainted with that particular website than you are, LOL.
  2. You’re not supposed to download from Youtube - even if there are numerous ways to do it.
  3. You’re definitely not supposed to download from Viki, and it’s VERY difficult to do so, most browser extensions meant for this don’t work.

Here is the relevant article 7 from the Terms of Use:

"INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OWNERSHIP" ' click the arrow to read it

Unless otherwise noted, the Rakuten Viki Services, and all Content available via the Rakuten Viki Services (excluding Subtitle Submissions and User Generated Content, as defined below), including, but not limited to, movies or events you can watch instantly, text, graphics […] or other intellectual property, and the organization, compilation, look and feel, of the Rakuten Viki Services (collectively, the “Materials”) are owned by Rakuten Viki or the applicable Provider and are protected under copyright, trademark and other intellectual property and proprietary rights laws.
As between Rakuten Viki and you, all right, title and interest in and to the Materials (including all Content) will at all times remain with Rakuten Viki and/or its Providers.
You agree not to decompile, reverse engineer or disassemble any software or other products or processes accessible through the Rakuten Viki Services, not to copy, reproduce, distribute, insert any code or product into, or manipulate the Content or the Rakuten Viki Services in any way, and not to use any data mining, data gathering or extraction method.

You are permitted to use the Rakuten Viki Services and the Content for lawful purposes as provided in these Terms; any other use, misuse, distribution, reproduction, or copying of any Content is strictly prohibited. Rakuten Viki grants you a non-exclusive, limited, personal, non-transferable, revocable, license to use the Rakuten Viki Services to access and watch the Content, without right to sublicense, under the following conditions: you shall not:
obtain or attempt to obtain any content through any means not intentionally made available or provided for through the Rakuten Viki Services;

You’ll get yourself in trouble, that’s why. I’m trying to protect you, but you don’t seem to understand that.

FYI, I also regularly visit those streaming websites, when I cannot find what I want on Viki. We’re just not supposed to mention them here. When in Rome, do as Romans do. Duh!

5 Likes

To quote a friend of mine, “The best weight you’ll ever lose is the weight of other people’s opinions.” Now that’s a diet I can follow through :sweat_smile::grin:

4 Likes

secret life of my secretary, looks like it may be a good one.
the actor from “look out” with a problem not being able to recognize peoples faces, almost “like the stranger,” with the guy having surgery as a child for anger issues, and no emotions, and he also had surgery as a child .but yeah I know this is a bit different. Just hope for a good ending!

just curious about those surgeries, any nurses /doctors out there can you explain why at an early age these surgeries, or are these just writers imaginations??

ok my 3 cents worth above messages; look guys, follow rules right? yeah occasionally I will mention You tube or Netflix. as fro trying to download from other links, sure I tried, but that link stops me saying not appropriate or my computer(compatable) isn’t right for it. so I don’t even try. sur if I don’t find a drama here yeah I search elsewhere. and my 3 cents. Viki is tops with the videos, and subs. as for the Roku, I have found other links, but still I go back to Viki Rakuten! just saying!!

The best weight you’ll ever lose is the weight of others peoples opinions! amen to that one!! yep s dirt I can follow through. thanks Adrian

2 Likes

tell me about fight my way

I just finished watching Stairway to Heaven, a 2003-2004 kdrama, and oh boy was it good! Sure, it has all of the kdrama tropes we see today (mean stepmom and stepsister, two male leads in love with one female lead, the famed piggyback–done several times–, lovers met as children, amnesia, breakup, illness, and lots of love) but it still touched me unlike a lot of modern kdramas that follow the same pattern. If I can give it some comparison without too many spoilers, I would say it is a mix between the kmovie Temptation of Wolves and the kdrama That Winter, the Wind Blows, but with its own flair. The acting was on-spot and it felt so real…now I must go and heal my hurting heart somehow…

the bride of habak, Korean Odessy, the love knot his excellency’s first love,(about the foxes coming to earth, changed into humans) just something different for me.

as for the one I was watching the secret life of my secretary, it was good to a certain point, the ending could have been better.

1 Like

I just finished watching Winter Sonata. I have to watch all of the season-themed dramas in the series now :neutral_face::smile: Not my fav classic, I liked Stairway to Heaven better, but the OST for Winter Sonata is legendary! I haven’t stopped playing it, and I found the piano sheet music for the main melody of the drama to learn it.

Maybe I’ll start Beautiful Days, or Autumn in my Heart. I seem to be having a Kdrama throwback lately…

2 Likes

TRAPPED in Iceland

really well written with actual political topics and authentic characters - and impressive landscape.

1 Like

Is it on NF?

I watch it on local TV (I hope that’s not a prob since it’s not a page) :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I just finished the bride of the watergod. I did watch it on another link, but episode 16 didn’t turn out right, so decided to go to YT, and it was sooo cut up it wasn’t funny. so maybe one day I can finish the 16th episode. It was good up to episode 14-15, then downhill. plan to finish the love knot, his excellencys first love, its ok, another" but "there ok up to point. I think kill it will be my next one. haven’t decided about melt me yet. I don’t want to complain, but my goodness, maybe I am looking for more in our drama, you can only watch heal me kill me a certain amount of times, same for healer, and I do love that one ,

I am looking for more, I guess… hmm stairway to heaven sounds good, and that other one fight my way

I do still like viki dramas

2 Likes

Have you tried Suspicious Partner or While you were sleeping? Both legal dramas and so good!

1 Like

I just finished watching Well Intended Love on Netflix and The World owes me a First Love. I haven’t watched very many C-Dramas, but I loved these two. Both were really cute.

Whenever anyone tells me they’re looking for a drama to watch, this is the one I tell them about. I am close to even recommending it to passersby on the street. :smile: So far I’ve made three people watch it and they all loved it.

3 Likes

yes I have watched while you were sleeping and suspicous partner, lawless lawyer would love to find “who are you” the Korean version, awww maybe I will watch the other one today.