What is your least favorite cliché?

My least favorite clehé has to be the “ignorant, weak and hopeless damsel in distress™” Why do women seem to always be saved by a man?!

4 Likes

The ‘bigger man’ second lead. That shows up after the established relationship of the first male and female lead, to cause a love triangle with the main lead but further in the show is the bigger man and gives up chasing the girl because he has a realisation how much the two main characters have a love for each other.
But it’s very possible (maybe just a teeny tiny bit possible) that in my first lovey dovey relationship, we were very much in love with each other, a year or two into this relationship in pops the second lead, the love triangle of which ended with the second lead winning her over.
So every time that trope appears, I’m fuming inside “That doesn’t :zap::skull_and_crossbones::cloud_with_lightning::fire::japanese_ogre::hocho::bomb::broken_heart: happen in real life!”
…No, I’m not bitter, not bitter at all. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

when someo0ne comes up to a person and asks them something, “I don’t know” comes out…

Slightly confused by this, do you mean that they say “I don’t know” in the dialogue but they actually know the answer to the question? (and don’t reply with “I don’t know” :grin:)

3 Likes

Just wondering: Is this about clichés in dramas or clichés in life in general? :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_monocle:

1 Like

both in dramas and in general, and they do know the answer!

I think I would have maybe slapped them, one of those “dumb blonde” responses, and don’t attack me for saying that, I AM a blonde.

and I also hate it when people say stupid things referring to blondes, why not a dumb redhead, or a dumb black head, or even (me) dumb grey head? me, old lady

the drama I watched, that person just got the answer, and the boss came to him and asked him then the guy said I don’t know, sorry I don’t explain stuff

3 Likes

It’s stupid indeed. And the people who say it often don’t even know whether the other person is even a natural blonde.
Of course grey hair stands for wisdom, so they would never call you a dump grey head. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:blush::heart_eyes: thank you!!

2 Likes

I hate the “Because I love you, I must leave you” cliche. Or, “Because I love you, I must lie to you or hide my true feelings”. That bugs me to no end. If they know the relationship won’t work out / they aren’t willing to make it work, then they should move on.

Yes, I totally agree. I usually side with the second lead 95% of the time–they are usually 1000 times more appealing in personality and behavior than the first lead.

Another cliche I despise: the characters just blindly assume the worst of their partner. They rarely try to settle misunderstandings or believe in their loved one. Grr, I get so mad! And then the accused one doesn’t try to explain–or if they do, they say, “Let me explain” with an arm grab, and the girl/guy yanks her/his arm away and just stalks off, unwilling to hear the explanation.

6 Likes

It’s almost like they want the misunderstandings to happen. I don’t understand why they can’t just talk everything out and try to understand each other. Pride, maybe? They glare at each other from distances and let the misunderstandings pile up to no end. “Beautiful Love, Wonderful Life” and “Love With Flaws” were some of the most irritating instances. Shouldn’t they have any trust in their partner?:face_with_raised_eyebrow::neutral_face:
But maybe they enjoy rocky relationships. I once heard this rhyme “Treat her like a princess and you’ll be friend zoned for life, treat her like trash and she’ll become your wife.” Sad but true.

4 Likes

Unnecessary second male leads, there in the drama, just because most dramas do it and it’s a trope.
I avoid those dramas like the plague.

4 Likes

Same here, I hate when dramas add tropes that are unnecessary and don’t pertain to the story at all. I really don’t like the “last minute love triangle” that a lot of dramas seem to add.

2 Likes

another one, when someone you are discussing things, and they ask why?
for example, Arora_rose going to use your I htae dramas that are unecessary and don’t pertain to the story, then they ask why? and yes try to explain what we mean and they come back with why? ooooo I can’t stand that.

and please dont answer that, I hate that also, why do they put stuff in the story that doesn’t pertain to the story anyway, awww I am venting, sorry.

I am just watching a drama, and the little girl keeps asking her grand ma why, due to a divorce or death, not sure on that, the grandma trying to explain and the little girl keeps asking why

1 Like

Why?

OK, love you. Bye bye.

4 Likes

ok heres one, from our dramas, someone is hurt, maybe badly and someone comes up and asks are you ok> oh yeah when someone comes to where they are, you’re here, or when someone is unconscious and wakes up and another person , are you awake. that is it for now

Ninjas_with_onions that was so funny! thanks for sharing, thats what I mean!

2 Likes

Lol, in Dutch when you haven’t heard from someone for a while, you might call or send a message, asking “Are you still alive?” :rofl:

1 Like

Which I don’t like at all…
That can be found everywhere in the real and in films [ Wuxia] But also filming others…
It’s welcome, When the woman submits to the man…
It’s scary :fearful:

1 Like

@mirjam_465

OMG I learned NEVER to say that line to anyone again. I had a neighbor that disappeared for a whole week, and I said that line to him and that man cursed me out. He interpret it like I was saying that I thought: HE WAS DEAD!

Now, I’m talking about a hispanic and I said it in Spanish, but after analyzing it; It does sound like I was implying I thought he was dead. That happened back in 2008 and 12 years later never used that line again (it was a common thing for me to say that when I didn’t see ppl for a long while).

@helenawang5717_57

Treat her like a princess and you’ll be friend zoned for life, treat her like trash and she’ll become your wife.” Sad but true.

I still blame the Asian writers that tend to portray women like they are that type of woman all the time. They also belittle women by making them roles that in real life you don’t come across too often. At least, not in my culture. I bet in South Korean women don’t drink until getting blasted drunk and ‘‘have piggy rides home’’ Or get in bed with men, wake up naked, and don’t remember if they enjoyed spending time with the guy naked next to them.

2 Likes

What I meant was in dramas the nice second lead often gets friendzoned, and the mean main lead often gets the girl. It’s just something I came across when watching kdramas.

4 Likes

People say it here very casually, but yeah, it’s weird and some might be offended by it. And if the answer is no, you won’t get an answer anyway …

I think those kinds of things happen around the world. In dramas and in real life. May have something to do with so-called “traumatic bonding”… :thinking:

2 Likes