What's a "good" volunteer for you? + Helpful guidelines

but in period stuff 계집 (gyejib) actually means girl. In a non-derogatory way. It is just plain girl. The meaning evolved.

1 Like

Yes, but in the olden days, you being a girl in itself put you in a lowly status.

That’s why we’ve got to translate based on the context.

4 Likes

thank you @ajumma2 for the “wench” Im still trying to find a suitable word in German therefore I asked, because bitch is really ugly and vulgar. I will try to hear the words.
Also may I lookup your sageuk list, Im more interested in the English part as it would be helpful to create one then for German that is Im not sure such list exist already, I know I did use in Nirvana in Fire from Team notes the extensive list in my doc sheet for German subbers so I’d be curious what vocab I don’t have or to compare.
Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think she is referring to 기지배. That’s the one we hear all the time, with the “wench” translation underneath.
For instance in “Five Children”, the uneducated ex-loanshark wife uses it for her daughter all the time. Because of that, her grandson uses it at school for a classmate, and gets severely scolded, his grandparents are called to the school by the teacher etc…
(Of course no mother would call her daughter “bitch”, but still it’s offensive to address a classmate like that)
In another drama, “Soulmate”, an angry pedestrian calls the female driver kicchibeh, because she sort of touched him with the car and then sped off. He repeats this when they both are at the police station, to the police officer who says “you should settle it among yourselves” and he replies “I don’t talk to witches”. “What? Who is a witch?” shouts the lady.
So definitely offensive in this case, but not that much that it cannot be said in front of a police officer.

Sophia and another contributor in Team Notes wrote to me, about this word:
You can break it down: 개=dog, 집=house/kennel, 년=bitch (female dog). It is almost a synonym of ‘girl’. It does not mean btch or whoe! It’s not considered as a nice word, and people don’t like being called that, but it’s not taken as an insult. Much more common among not-so-well-mannered or uneducated people. You can use this word toward people you are very familiar with: usually between girls who are close friends (from kids to middle age), or a mother to her daughter. You use this word when you don’t like what your close friend or daughter does. Like, when scolding, blaming…
So the literal translation would be “doghouse bitch” (as in female dog, not as in slut)

1 Like

@irmar @sophie2you @simi11

Oh, the word 기지배 (gijibae) would definitely be used in a modern drama. It is actually a Northern Choongchung dialect of the word 계집애 (gejibae) or 계집아이 (gejibai), which simply means a young girl. The word itself is not a bad word, but it can be used with a sense of contempt and condescension. I don’t believe there is actually a word 개집년 (dog house bitch). I think that might be a misspelled word for 계집년 (a young/little bitch).

In order to understand why being called a young girl could be insulting, you need to remember that Korean culture is based on Confucius mindset. So assuming you are in the same class, the hierarchy would be elderly man, elderly woman, a young man, a young woman, and then a boy and a girl in terms of status. Sometimes a young man can come before an elderly woman, too. So a woman, a young one at that, would be the last of the totem pole. In general, women were not allowed to be educated. So when your mother calls you a young girl, it could be an endearing term or at least not insulting because that’s who you are to her. But when you are supposed to be in an equal footing with a male colleague and he calls you a woman, he is implying that he is above you and a WOMAN would not know any better, especially a young woman who is probably not educated and has no social standing.

So in the case of the scene between the man and the woman at the police station, when he calls her Gigibae, it could possibly be translated as “You little!” or something like that. Of course, that’s not the exact translation. But if you just say “You, young girl!” it doesn’t convey the meaning and how he is trying to belittle the woman. That’s why it’s so important to translate in context. I just read the original translation of “I don’t talk to a witch,” and I think a better translation might have been “I don’t talk to a little girl,” or “I don’t talk to a lowly woman!”

@simi11
I think I can best translate it when I actually watch the scene so I can see the context. So if you get stuck, let me know which scene you are talking about and then I can come up with something.

2 Likes

I couldn’t find any hits on 기지배

@sophie2you

http://krdic.naver.com/detail.nhn?docid=5851400

I see what you mean. So in a historical series, “you lowly female” could be used?

And, by the way, there is a nice discussion on expletives here: http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/bastard.3153542/

And, about “Why, you little…”. It’s a nice expedient for you English translators, but it’s a nightmare for other language translators. I explained to my team that it means “you little piece of shit” so they should just put any other insult. And, actually, from untranslatable expressions like this, the need for my Greek insults and Italian insults docs was born. So in a way I am thankful!

3 Likes

This etymology was given to me by
on the team discussion of Five Children http://subber.viki.com/translations/1097195 by bwcatnyc
Her exact words:
I’m was informed that 개집년 is the original/origin word. It evolved to 기지배. Just as what you have on your google doc, you can break it down: 개=dog, 집=house/kennel, 년=b*tch. My mom used to call me that all the time. It’s not considered as a nice word but it’s not taken as an insult. I’ve heard (probably from snobs) that it’s common among not-so-well-mannered ppl (or uneducated) to call each other that.

Your link reminds me. People really care about “where” you come from. In the big scheme of things they take one’s path/one’s affiliation quite seriously. Notice that one of the insults would be 잡놈 (leftover person? something like that). Another one is 듣보잡 = 듣지도 보지도 못한 잡놈/년 (never seen of or heard of roundabout thing).

I don’t ever remember using why you little, I usually resort to half curses like heck and friggin etc. since most of the words are half curses anyway in the original language.

heol. To think that some North Chungcheong Province word became commonspeak. Didn’t know that!
Thank you for linking me to krdic and not endic ^-^

2 Likes

@ytr752 : Ouah ! je prends une semaine de vacances et qu’est-ce que je trouve : un pavé monstrueux ! Étant entièrement d’accord avec toi, je ne vais citer que la phrase qui me correspond le plus : “Viki n’est qu’un passe-temps. Hors que question que ça devienne une prise de tête pour quelques raisons que ce soit.”
C’est, je crois, ce qui représente le plus ce que je recherche le plus ici.
Passe une superbe journée !

3 Likes

A lil off-topic… ermm pardon my ignorance…but is one better than the other? Even though it is still NAVER(the go-to K-resource)? I can only see, with my K-learner eye, that ‘krdic’ is more explicit and has more examples, than ‘endic’. Is there more to it? Thank you.

endic gives me English translations that may or may not be correct.
Krdic gives me Korean definitions. So the words are defined.

If the endic words are correct using endic is not a problem, but often times I have to check the definition of both the English and the Korean to check if it is the word I want.

If I use Krdic it gives me definition so then I can think of the word or some idea and go straight to thesaurus or scroll down for English examples. If I am still not sure of Korean def I can read off the Korean examples and hover over the chinese characters and click them if needed to go into the chinese for an even clearer idea.

Endic forces me to go to krdic anyway …
does that make sense?

3 Likes

Thank you @sophie2you. It makes sense. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

I found Naver Translate a very helpful tool (much much better than G), and pretty much serves a similar purpose like Krdic. But with an additional step needed, i.e. Kor-Chi-Eng. Since I can read Chinese characters a lot better than I can hangul, Translate works well for me. For instance, I’d ‘translate’ from Korean to English, and if the meaning doesn’t make good sense, I’d ‘translate’ from Korean to Chinese. Almost 99% of the times, the meaning translated to Chinese and then to English clicked better than if it were done directly to English.

For ex. 공항가는길 via Naver Translate:
Kor-Eng 공항가는길 -> To the airport road
(not a wholesome accurate translation although in a general sense, bearing Korean sentence structure in mind, it’s not wrong either)
Kor-Chi 공항가는길 -> 前往机场的路
(this is the perfect ‘On The Way To The Airport’ definition that the phrase means, after a second round translation from Chi-Eng)

3 Likes

i totally agree with you. it is 95% as it is as you explained. And the remaining question is why?

I am new so so my answer may be little bit clumsy but what i think sometimes you really have no time to participate in the regarding forum, you are working or affiliated. There may be so many genuine reason which can happen to us and we cannot avoid that. the best way is to either intimate them or inform their problem with honesty and apologize for that and this is really good thing rather than become invisible without any reasons.

We are not wasting our time because these kinds of forum let you communicate with great people with great mind and greatest advice you can get from them. Every human being is not perfect that also apply to me but we can improve ourself by communicating and sharing with the people who are better than you. Learning phase continues until you live and you learn something new everyday and that is the progress and that is what human mean. so, yeah you can improve from subber and editor and common person too that’s why.

To look for fame and not both are good in their own respect and its totally depend on person personality i.e either humble or not. Not looking for fame depends on person thoughts and we should respect that. Most viewers as you said really don not care but actually by watching your subbed project they are ensuring a trust in you which is really hard now-a-days and they will not forget you to some extant because the effort you put in subbing make them feel as they are talking in their language through your subbing in that particular language, the feelings remains always there, it only mask little because you move on to next exciting thing but they do remember subconsciously your effort to make that program or whatever media which was so good or best of best. So. hope is what you should always keep alive that what’s makes us keep going forward.

So, Good volunteer for me should be humble, respect people thoughts, good team communicator, good guideliner, show improvement and always show positive attitude.

Thanks for your efforts and every ones on this forum to keep this media alive.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

This is an old topic, just bumping it up :sweat_smile:

For not so popular languages like Hindi, it’s really common to get more bad from people than good. Any random person shows up and claims to be good at the language, CMs who don’t know the language can do nothing but believe. I am really happy the quality went :chart_with_upwards_trend: these days. I was watching a show with mum and almost to no mistakes in the subs (ignoring typos, QWERTY is too weak to type Devnagari script).

I used to volunteer but I no more do that. I have a show where I took moderator position again after coming back. The poor show had 3 changes for Hindi moderator, (might also have a 4th moderator since I don’t have time).

I am just sharing my experience here.

When I came back to Viki, I saw there were “teams” (we used to work alone on show) Somebody said, every subber has their own style so it’s better to work alone than in a team, I thought that’s a good point so I left the show I asked to be a subber in and worked alone on different shows but it was tiring for me, I can’t subtitle 16 episodes alone without getting bored and I can’t avoid the “luxury” of having hundreds of moderator projects, so I kept aksing people if they’d like to work as a team but didn’t had fruitful reply until one lucky drama gave me two pretty members. I left Viki in a hurry and didn’t get the time to volunteer again.

When I came back, I was astonished to see Hindi teams, guidelines and most important of all, editors. Fortunately, my grasp on the language is good and I am a good editor, unfortunately, I can’t keep up with the team so can’t volunteer.

I took a show as the 3rd Hindi moderator there. First 2 moderators left the show one after the other for whatever reasons and chose to work as subbers. I had seen their recent contributions so they felt to be good subbers. The team was already there and I simply chose to work as a “ghost moderator”. Come every sunday, assign parts, give the episode to editor and lock the episode. I know it’s a bad tactic and I must not do this but there was no other way back then to complete the show.

I asked my team for their schedules and gave parts accordingly. The next step was to choose a good editor and one of the previous moderators volunteered. Sound good.
When I assigned parts, the editor asked me to just work as an editor rather as a subber because that’s much easier than subbing and will take no time as she was busy with other episodes. I was baffled. Noooooooo. You think editing is easy? Do you even edit if you think it’s easy?
Later, she pleaded to be removed from the team, without a word, I removed. 12-13 episodes were already subtitled by the previous team.
Luckily, I found a good editor and she worked on the show till the time I was active. She asked to open previous episodes for editing, she went there and found a massacre with the subs. 3 out of 4 original subbers were abusers. My god! Both the moderators and a now suspended user working and made such a big mess of the show. Poor her, at first she tried doing editing without deleting the subs but couldn’t keep up. I straightaway asked the previous moderators and subber to delete their subtitles, they practically pleaded to not let this matter go to Viki, I reported the other moderator, I promised one of them I won’t since she said she’ll improve, I said I won’t but the editor who worked in terrible conditions can. Luckily, initial moderator and the subber are suspended now. But guess who’s gonna report the left abuser now? I saw “no improvement” and she continues using GT.

Lessons I learnt/ qualifications I look for in subbers / what I do (did) before selecting my team.

• Take a test before having anybody on my team, no matter what is the number of contributions, I can’t trust numbers anymore (except if they proved me they are excellent)
  • Should be ready to accept feedback.
  • Must provide quality before quantity. Yes, I don’t prefer people who can sub 600 segments in a day but then increse the work for poor editor who comes after them and takes 4 days to edit.
  • Must communicate. It feels like being a dictator if you send your team what to do/not to do and they just say “okay”.
  • I read somewhere, a moderator started communicating with their team in Hindi, that’s a great idea, I’ll do that too.

I’ll just go revive the project which has been like that for a decade and complete it :sweat_smile:

You mean that most of you usually don’t?!!!

1 Like

Based on what I’ve experienced, I just want a volunteer to be active on Viki and stay with me until the end of the project. I’ve seen so many volunteers that come for 2 days and then disappear. It’s fine for me as long as I can still reach them, but when they don’t even check their messages it’s really disappointing in my opinion.

2 Likes

Not that often. If I get a message from project finder, I’d usually reply in English if I don’t need volunteers. I’ll write a detailed message in Hindi if I am in need of volunteers.

While communicating with the team, I often write in Hindi, while for one on one conversation on Viki or Kakao with my team, I write either in English or Hinglish.

For me, the most prominent reason why I use English sometimes is that switching my keyboard from English (for other volunteers) to Hindi (Hindi volunteers) and vice versa is a headache. I’ve Korean, Japanese, English (India), English (UK), Hindi (Phonetic) keyboards, it wastes time to switch the keyboards.

To put it more clearly, for me, I use Hindi when I write longer messages, I use English when the messages are short. I don’t know if other volunteers do the same. Sometimes, I write in Hindi and get a reply in English, even when we’ve worked together on some projects and they know I prefer PMs in Hindi. It might be the same for them too.

If switching wasn’t a hassle, I would use Hindi for all PMs.

2 Likes