Which country are you from?

I think I just found a rare picture of you!

afbeelding

6 Likes

Yeah!! love it! so thinking of more to put on here from Atlantis, wanna see those undersea buildings? you tube has a b unch of them

6 Likes

Oh, you must miss your old house! Did you crochet undersea as well? :wink:

5 Likes

well yarn really doesnt work, but we imrrovise, we use like seaweed thats braided and other natural things we can easily use for crocheting things. my house was a large bubble and yes I do miss my house

5 Likes

So great :joy::joy:
I needed that a little bit, the laughter
Thanks to both of you
@mirjam_465 and @frustratedwriter

4 Likes

Hi! Iā€™m from Italy!

1 Like

Hi My Name is Aaron and I am from the US I currently live in Salt Lake City Utah

2 Likes

Suomi - Finland.

4 Likes

Estados Unidos, - ėÆøźµ­ - United States

Hello peeps!

4 Likes

To add some other translations: de Verenigde Staten, Yhdysvallat, ć‚¢ćƒ”ćƒŖć‚«, Ɯhendriigid ā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

:smile: When I was in the Philippines, me and my blonde hair, when we went to the provinces to visit his relatives, on the drive out, people would see me, wave and call out, ā€œHey! Gi Joe!ā€ :rofl:

hmm I didnā€™t know I was in the service. But at least they knew I was American. :smile:

3 Likes

When I was living in Finland, I came across a few people who thought I was Finnish, one said I looked Norwegian and another one even said ā€œYou donā€™t look Dutch!ā€ :joy:

2 Likes

That is funny.

There was one time at a showā€™s meet and greet afterwards. The group were Innuit dancers from Greenland and the producer was from Denmark. That producer talked to me in Danish. I told him I was sorry but I donā€™t speak Danish. and he got really angry with me for snubbing him!

Yea, I have blonde hair but I am not Danish, I donā€™t know anyone who IS Danish, I didnā€™t live in a part of the country where anyone spoke Danish, so how was I supposed to know Danish in pre-internet no-way-to-stream-anything days?

Yea, my friend explained to them that I was not, in fact, Danish. That producer still gave me the evil eye though. :laughing:

Yes, I do have a great-gramma who was from Goatland, Sweden but she married an American so their common language was English. Swedish did not get passed down and my grammas relatives live north of Chicago, not California, where I was born and raised so I wouldnā€™t be around them to learn Swedish anyway and they donā€™t speak Swedish either. And Swedish is not Danish. (I think there are differences??? I wouldnā€™t know.)

a friend who was an artist from Sweden looked at me a moment and said, ā€œNo, are not Danish you do not have the bone structure.ā€

3 Likes

If you write it like that, I see:
afbeelding

:joy:

Very big differences!

Danish bone structure? I didnā€™t know that was a thing ā€¦ :thinking:

2 Likes

Those Danes are proud about their wierd Swedish dialect which they canā€™t even pronounce properly. Donā€™t mind the Danes.

Wellā€¦ Pronounciation, itā€™s like the Swedish Scanian dialect with a potato in the throath. And ppl i Sweden canā€™t even pronounce proper Swedish, so the Danish problem is extra bad :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, seriously though, people often say Danish is closer to german, which is not true. German/Dutch(same shit :P) have words that have the same root but the words have changed. Example, Sv:Fƶrare (Person leading the car forward, driver) De:Fuhrer (Person leading the nation forward, That guyā€¦). So you can make mistakes by assuming these are the same. Danish vocabulary is 80-95% is the same as Swedish, enough that, is the pronounciation issues are overcomed, you can hold business level talks with the other language person. I have myself participated in Nordic political meetings where Swedish, Norwegian and Danish are talked interchangalby in a discussion. Itā€™s really difficult at first to understand each other, due to pronounciation. Though after focusing 140% on every words for a few days, you start to understand it. Norwegian is then much easier, takes 1-2h to go from 0-95% intellibility. The same for Danish is days or weeks, not hours.

One disclamer: I speak Finlandsswedish, meaning my swedish uses more old vocabulary that still exist in Danish and Norwegian. Plus Norwegians and Danes usually think itā€™s easier to understand my accent over the Swedenswedish one, especially what Danes told me. While Swedes have problems with my accent. So there are these sorts of factors that can play in into what I say.
Also, there might be some rivarly between Sweden and Denmark, they used to kill each other over the spot as top dog in the Nordics, so they might not be as willing to understand eachother while these 2 donā€™t have the same with other Nordic nations

5 Likes

Perkele! :angry: :stuck_out_tongue:

From what I learned, itā€™s easier for Danes to understand Swedish and Norwegian then v.v. And when you look at the way Danes pronounce things, Iā€™d say thatā€™s not surprising.
Danish spelling is closer to Norwegian than to Swedish, which is also not surprising given their history.

I would have to agree to that.
And of course you understanding them also has to do with the fact that you have been exposed to several languages during your life, so itā€™s easier for you to switch than for people who mainly speak one and the same language all the time.

1 Like

Yes and no, spelling isnā€™t the problem, I would argue anyone from those can understand the others writing. Universities in the Nordics tend to allow others Nordics to write their assigments in their native languages. Plus, Danish is similar to BokmĆ„l, but Nynorsk is very similar to swedish. Norwegian isnā€™t either a Standard language such as French or Swedish.
The problem is the same for me with Danish as with Dutch. Both languages have really f. up :stuck_out_tongue: pronounciation, I can differentiate between different sounds coming out of the mouth, but I canā€™t place them in the alphabet. After spending time with Danes, this becomes easier when the brain start recognizing patterns, certain sound always come in certain situations etc. When it comes to Dutch, Frisian is easier on this front for me. German is a bit hit or miss, plus more words are different etc.

True, I may have it easier than others, but I donā€™t se it as impossible for others. Iā€™ve met monolinguals that managed to do the same as me, but just took them longer. Especially if itā€™s another native Scandinavian speaker.

1 Like

Yes, but this goes more for Swedish dialect than for Rikssvenska.

Or Dutch ā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you have any Dutch examples? :slight_smile:

The Frisians will be pleased to hear that, as they always claim that their language is so close to the Nordic languages. Well, they might be right:
Dutch: children = kinderen
Frisian: children = bern
Although the way they make a diminutive out of it, is more of a Dutch influence I suppose: bernsjes.

Iā€™m not claiming itā€™s impossible either. But it might take them a lot more to get to the same point. And of course it helps if their own language is related to the other one. Iā€™m not sure what would happen if you would lock up a Fin in a room full of Koreans ā€¦

1 Like

Generally speaking when listening to spoken Dutch and trying to make out the words. I made a quick youtube search. The first word already for day and Morgen, in written form, no problem but the ā€œGā€ which is a ā€˜scratching Hā€™ would trow me off in a real-life situation.

To compare that to Frisian I got trough all the video understanding maybe 90+%. Frisian sounds to me like a really odd and a bit wrong dialect. But odd and wrong still is intelligible, while random sounds isnā€™t :smiley:.

Yeah, thereā€™s definitely a factor of how related your language is to the target language. Learning Norwegian as a Swedish speaker would probably be like a Dutch person learning Afrikaans. I see them as the same language with different standards. Iā€™ve been learning Korean simply by listening to it on kdrama so far, you do pick things up and eventually you learn it, I learned English this way as well, simply TV and observing. I would say there are 2 important things, 1. you need to find a ā€˜funā€™ way of learning it or be locked in a room with others that keep speaking random gibberish. Essentially, motivation. 2. You need to get rid of any possible attitude problems when related to language learning.

Iā€™ve met Danes that had attitude problems with Swedenswedes and intentionally not wanting to understand a single word, because they felt the Swedes at the same place where arrogant assholes, while the same swedes didnā€™t want to understand the Danes for the same reasons essentially. Because both see their language as the ā€˜prestige dialect/languageā€™ of Scandinavian. They always sat in different tables when lunching or sat with Norwegians or Finns. Iā€™m not saying every Dane and Swede are like this, just that in my experience, these sort of attitudes are more common among these 2.

1 Like

:laughing: To the artist it meant that the arrangement of my features was not typical of a Danish person. (maybe thatā€™s because I am not Danish. :laughing: unless there were Danish Vikings sacking Western Ireland.)

And donā€™t ask me how to spell or pronounce Goatland. lol. Actually my g-grandmother was very poor. Her father died when she was only 2 so her mom moved to Stockholm to sew clothing from home. My G-Gramma took care of the household so her mom could stay busy making what little cash she could. Her 2 older brothers went to the US. Her mom died when she was only 8. She ended up working on a farm north of Chicago till she met my g-grandfather and married himā€¦

1 Like