Why do fans root for TOXIC RELATIONSHIPS? Main Lead/ Second Lead Debate

Oh, yeah. Mr. Cheekbones and Ms. Pouty Lips. But they have to keep up the lovely, relaxed yet slightly snarky dialogs they had once they got together. Whoever wrote that did a great job.

1 Like

Yes! I love this! The first one that comes to mind is DOTS… I LOVED the second couple in that one. I liked the way the SFL is so honest about her feelings and encourages the main couple to do the same.

This is why I love second-chance dramas! They start out making you look at a marriage falling apart so you start judging the characters and try to decide whose fault it is. Then, as the story slowly unfolds, you realize that everyone is human, that everyone is broken, and nothing can be one person’s fault.

My favorite one in this genre is 18 Again… and Familiar Wife comes second. Go Back Couple was also a good one, but I wish the main couple had a few more scenes together. Flower of Evil isn’t really second-chance but it is beautiful. It isn’t easy to write such dramas, because both characters already know all the faults and weaknesses of the other. You can’t sugarcoat anything. Even the viewers just have to face the reality of human flaws with no perfect MLs. The writers have to walk on a thin line— the problems caused are because of the two, but both characters have to be good characters underneath. They can’t blame a villain. The beauty of the writing is how they convince the viewers that the characters are good humans, that they can make things work and that love is much deeper than happy feelings and puppy love.

That’s why I really respect writers who can actually pull off such dramas.

3 Likes

Very well said! It’s sad when really great writing stands out amongst the rest, but it’s a fact. We just really have to appreciate them when they come around.

1 Like

I have a bit of a problem with Monthly Magazine Home with regard to the ML criticizing and putting down the FL.

The drama makes very clear that HE in his harshness and SHE in her diffidence are both motivated by insecurities of all sorts. However, it seems to me that, if she is supposed to be the energetic, spunky, “can’t keep me down” type, then she would be a little less ditzy, a little less naive, and a little more feisty in responding to criticism.

She needs a little more spine, and then his snotty attitude would probably not bother me so much.

1 Like

Insecurities or not, I think most people know when they are crossing a line. There are things that can be taken in fun and things that cannot. There are things I don’t mind getting annoyed about and things I do :sweat_smile: idk if I’m making any sense here…

1 Like

I think I get you, and this is obviously different for each of us. For example, I cannot handle being accused of cheating, let’s say while playing a card game or something, even if the person ‘accusing’ me is just doing it in fun. I cannot take that kind of joke. But you can tease me all you want about being short because, well, I am. LOL

2 Likes

@my_happy_place there are a few dramas with a similar story line, as Mischievous Kiss, the guys are just as unemotional & uncaring and the girls are just as much doormats. The two most like it that I can think of are Playful Kiss & Good Morning Call, I have a feeling that Miss in Kiss is another of that trope of smart popular guy & ditzy girl end up living together, but I haven’t watched it, just read the synopsis. I don’t understand the appeal to it that warrants so many remakes. I think there are 5 dramas based on the same manga (Good Morning Call is actually it’s own manga, but it’s similar enough that you probably won’t like it either.)

2 Likes

Did you just say you were short!? Welp - another thing we have in common.

Me too!!! Just to liven things up! :wink:

1 Like

You are sooooo bad! It’s been nice knowing you. You probably will be the origin of the next key line of dialog in K-dramas: “Wow! You have such bad luck! What did you do, p— off a Discussion Board monitor in a former life?”

That’s right, it’s . . .

(Giphy)

1 Like

There is something charming about “first love” or “fresh love.” My mother’s parents met in grade school and were part of a pack of friends who did what friends do in school. They did social activities as a part of a group (taffy pulls, ice cream socials, dances in somebody’s barn). They studied together under parental supervision, they went to church together, they sat on the front porch and talked about “stuff.”

They became an “item” at age 17 or so, got engaged right after high school graduation, and waited while my grandmother taught in a one-room school house for a year in order to say thanks to her teachers for her education.

Then my grandparents got married and my grandmother went as a new bride to live the 1840s-era farmhouse where my mother and her sisters grew up.

For me, generally, sex is supposed to eventuate in some kind of life between two people that is not just two selfish, immature, bored, lonely people seeking distraction, erotic stimulation, perhaps even some kind of relational revenge (“ha, I stole your sweetheart” and so on).

One of my favorite current doramas is one about a 40-year-old husband and a 25-year-old wife. They know a couple in which the husband is ten years younger than the wife.

They are not ashamed of wanting to be married or of being willing to think outside the “selfish box” in order to develop and maintain a relationship that will make each partner happy and will contribute to the flourishing of their families and their society.

It’s a bit risqué in some scenes, but I love it. People spend sooooo much time tying themselves in knots over sex and love. There are times when it’s good to be reminded that (don’t let this get around) marriage is okay!

Not everybody wants to get married, and these days nobody has to get married for mysterious traditional and ritualistic reasons. But if people fall passionately in love and get married, that’s great.

3 Likes

Well hello there… I’ve been in the Shorties Club ever since I started school! I was that one tiny kid standing at the front of every line with a coconut-tree ponytail on her head :joy: a less cuter version of this sweetheart

Being teased because I’m short has gone from being annoying to kinda funny… and it’s also funny when I have to tilt my head all the way up to look at some of my guy friends in the eye when I talk to them :joy:
Well, at least I have higher chances of having the huge-height-difference trope in my life :joy::joy:

3 Likes

I need one of my HOTTIES at the grocery store so I don’t have to stand on the shelves to get something - Excuse me Junho - Minho - Seo Kang Joon - Seo In Guk - Wookie - Gong Yoo - Kim Jae Wook - Song Kang…etc etc - Could one of them show up with a helping hand or an Umbrella or some fireworks :smile:

Could you get that for me! Please!..

3 Likes

Yep. Just a hair over 5 feet tall.

Sounds like you must experience this too, but it is amazing to me how many people will just walk on by me when I am struggling with everything I have to reach something on a top shelf at the grocery store. No one ever mysteriously comes up behind me to offer a helping hand.

3 Likes

I have watched both of these and feel about them the same way I do about Mischievous Kiss. I don’t really have a good reason as to why I tortured myself with all of them other than to say I watched them all pretty early on in my drama-watching days. Which, now that I think about it, makes me wonder how I kept going after all that nonsense. (Just kidding, I also watched several really great dramas early on, too, which kept me in the rabbit hole that I haven’t been able to get out of to this day)

3 Likes

I’m 5’1" on a good day! It’s starting to get creepy now isn’t it!

If only Choi - if only

2 Likes

You all are Making me feel tall, I tower over you all at 5’3" lol
But seriously, that 2" didn’t do much when I was a teen, for some reason my friends were mostly tall guys. I never actually thought of myself as short until I started watching dramas and I’d think, wow, that girl is short, then I’d look up her height and she was almost always taller than me.

4 Likes

Most of the actresses are at least 5’5’ or so! And like PMY has to wear heels. To stand next to Minho I’d have to wear 4 inch heels.

3 Likes

10 K-Drama Bad Boys With A Heart Of Gold | Soompi

Some of these guys are a big N.O. for me lol

3 Likes

ik right?!?! I was looking at that article thinking “I don’t CARE if they had hearts of gold, I definitely didn’t see it!”

2 Likes

Shin Se Gi - I have had friends that couldn’t just couldn’t watch Kill Me Heal Me!
Shin Se Gi is one of my absolute favorites once you peeled back his layers!

But that’s just me! Broken boys again! Well, this was multiple personalities due to trauma

1 Like