Why do you watch K-drama?

Myooz, you should have inserted a spoiler alert! I haven’t finished Downton Abbey! :joy: But it’s alright, that wasn’t so much of a spoiler either. Oh man, I did sense some romantic interest between them at the beginning but never thought that they would marry. I kind of get what you mean. But maybe it’s because us youngsters can’t see how old people could be still interested in romance…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I actually only saw the 1st episode of GG. And I know!! I didn’t even watch the series and I already knew there was gonna be ‘cheating galore’! Hehehe :grin: Kinda makes things boring, eh? It’s just overkill.

Oh, I’m so sorry! Allow me to Harry Potterly wipe that part of your memory away *wiiiiipes. I honestly thought you had already seen all of those shows that you recommended.
I’m not at all against elderly people having romantic relations. In fact, there are lots of them that are really sweetly done in other shows. It’s just this particular couple that I didn’t feel or expect any of that spark, because when they got together it was so abrupt and that was quite bewildering to me.

By the way, can I just say I love your username? Mon cher Sherlock. :wink: That show is the bomb. Benedict is my favorite rendition of Sherlock Holmes. He is so hilarious, sarcastic, and sometimes childish too (as you can see when he’s dealing with his older brother). I’m waiting impatiently for the next episode to come out.

1 Like

Hahahaha xD

Ahh, yes. Maybe I shall think the same of their relationship once I get to the part, too!

And thank you! It’s supposed to be a play on the name ‘Sherlock’. As in a female version with first name ‘Cher’ and last name ’ Lock’. :grin:

I’m not so sure I prefer Benedict over all the other ‘Sherlocks’. Maybe because I have already seen Johnny Miller in ‘Elementary’. And the guy in ‘The Mentalist’ bears a similar eccentric personality to Sherlock’s character. So it kinda feels like Benedict is just a copy of them(although now that I think of it, he’s the best fit in looks and acting to the real Sherlock). It just seems cheesy to see yet another mad, murder-loving detective. I’m sorry that I can’t watch another Sherlock movie/show without knowing what to expect due to watching so many similar characters. Lol, look at me, getting so serious over such a small matter :joy:

But I’m so glad that you like my username!! :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

I went through a period of depression and really bad anxiety. Although I was seeking help, I wasn’t improving as quickly as I should have. And then I went through a breakup and my world fell apart. I couldn’t find anything to distract me completely so I decided to try a Korean drama. I watched Boys over Flowers and it gave me the strength to finish my semester. I watch Korean dramas because they’re a form of therapy for me. Whenever I’m upset or feel myself getting depressed again, the dramas are able to help me out. When I watched It’s Okay, That’s Love , I realised my struggle with mental illness was nothing to be ashamed of. I’ve learned other important lessons from many other KDramas. :smile:

3 Likes

OK; now i’m not your average Kdrama viewer.I’m a retired, long divorced,a little reclusive if i’m honest; and i’m MALE.I came across a SK video on you tube a couple of years ago and found it delightful.I’m a sentimental old boy and it was about the cutest kids you could ever imagine; be it babies, pre schoolers up to college kids.All had such an innocence you don’t see here in England.Before you start worrying about me,NO i’m not THAT sort of pervert,lmao.Watching kids develop and having their first love and first kiss can bring this old man to tears.There were also kids in their 20’s and even 30’s who also were experiencing these treasures for the first time.Now, see, nothing is cuter than seeing a young lady having experienced her first kiss or confession diving onto her bed, wriggling all over it and falling off the side.OH, guess i better mention the scenery and food, lol.Breahtaking at times and i want to visit.I can’t remember the name of that first video, but it made me want to seek out more, so i went in search and came across VIKI…That’s a more than brief intro to my first viewing.Now your questions.

1. the above would explain why i started watching.I would only seek out Korean films and series because i liked the sound of the dialect; i loved the scenery and generally they had a good storyline and the culture was very, very different.
    Addicted??? You betcha.I now watch most weekly series and you can almost hear my anguish as i frustratingly wait for the English subs. I’ve also watched most SK series Viki have on licence and i coness i do look around for other sites to see what they have( no comment on names of these sites)All i’ll say about my addiction is i can easily sit through a 60 episode series in 3 to 4 days.2 NOT ON YOUR LIFE. 3…I do not have a TV but will watch other Asian series only.Series from Taiwan i find very unprofessional and un funny and have been known to give up very early on.Japanese are not so bad and yet to try Chinese. 4. I answered this in my intro.
    In conclusion, i’ll try not to take too long, but i probably will.Kdramas are awful as far as content goes; In fact they are so bad they are good; i love them.How can it be a Kd without most of the following. A coma; a nose bled, generally a trickle from the right nostril; a piggyback ride;The plots nearly always side with the bad guys till near the end; i mean where else can 20 black suited baddies wielding baseball bats end up at the police station accusing their 1 assailant of attacking them first and the police believing them, lol.Or in The Merchant how can someone like Bong Sam take all he does without doing something about the childhood friend doing all the damage and getting away with it.I’m sure you can think of many scenes that are a must to be in a Kd.I can, but for your sake i won’t, lol.
    I will just add a few more loves; i love the old folk in general.The scenery makes me want to visit and the food??? i’m dribbling at the thought.I’m please to say i have found a sorce for Sodu, but couldn’t afford to drink it like water as theydo; very expensive here.Dislikes?? I’m male, so i wish the pretty boys didn’t always get the girl. I’m waiting for the day when one sticks his face right up in front of a sweet innocent girl and she head butts him.Comedy’s are generally a no no for me and what is i with all these strange noises in them? lol
    looking at what i’ve written, you would think i don’t like Kdramas,but nothing could be further from the truth’Dreading the end of current series All About My Mum, The Merchant Gaekju 2015 and I have a lover.What am i going to do???
5 Likes

I also started watching Kdrama for therapy - I developed a very severe case of gastritis. But watching Kdrama made me feel better physically. I know it sounds almost impossible, but this is true. It is interesting to know that Kdrama had a healing effect on others.

Thanks for sharing. Good luck to you.

1 Like

Your post made me laugh. Not sure that it was intended to be funny, but it actually is.

No, nobody think you are a pervert, don’t worry. Watching beautiful people is totally natural.

I asked this question because I realized I am addicted to watching Kdrama and trying to figure out whether I should quit watching it or not.

I do not have a TV (my choice), I do not watch TV (my choice as well), I do not smoke, I do not drink, I do not do drugs. For god’s sake, I don’t even eat sweets or chocolate. Kdrama is the only vice I have.

The problem with Kdrama is that it takes too much of my time and substitutes for pleasure activities that I should be seeking in real life, not virtual reality. Honestly, my life without Kdrama would be pretty boring. So instead of making my real life more interesting, I watch Kdrama.

I have tried limiting the hours I watch Kdrama, but it is impossible. Once you start watching something, you feel like you ought to finish it.

So… I am thinking of quitting watching Kdrama. I am just not sure how to do it. I am also looking for reasons not to quit it.

Since you are British, you must know “Pride and Prejudice” series. To me, the whole Kdrama thing is like a Korean version of “P&P” with different variations. It is a Cinderella story all over again, a fairy tale for adults.

Thanks for answering anyway, it was a very interesting account.

2 Likes

I guess my account was a little tongue in cheek, but contained a lot of home truths,lol.I could have gone on for hours, but i didn’t want to end up sending people to sleep.
I know of P&P, obviously, but not having TV i’ve not seen the series…What concerns me is your total lack of vices, lmao; i hope you are not a youngster with most of your life ahead of you.Like you i’ve never done drugs and although i was a heavy drinker at one time my visits to my local hostelry are few and far between these days.However,i’m a smoker for my sins and i have to be careful not to buy too much chocolate; large or small amounts never last the night.
Give up on Kdrama?? heaven forbid, but alas i’m running out of series to watch now(Korean),so i have had to go outside of Viki to find more.DON’T QUIT, you.ve made sure you have nothing else to live for, lol.
Maybe you should do what i want to do; go visit Korea and see and experience the food, the scenery, the food, the culture. the food,the characters, especially those cute youngsters;and last,but not least, the food’
Good wishes from me and i hope you get out there to broaden your horizens.
Oh, one more thing; i’d hate to be given a part in one of these; they think all westerners are albinos and they’d have to paint my face white, lmao

I have been to S. Korea already so I wouldn’t be interested in going back there again.

I think I will quit watching dramas eventually since I watch less and less now.

Anyway, good luck to you with your trip to S. Korea. Hope you find whatever you are looking for.

2 Likes

I create a survey to ask about turkish drama, more people answer and more we have chance to get licensing titles.

Here the link of the survey : https://fr.surveymonkey.com/r/LB8MQ6Y4, there are some questions about which turkish drama you want in Viki and also about TV channel partnership.

1 Like

Why do I watch kdrama’s ? Simply because they’re well written also I love the language, culture and style that Korean people bring. At times in everyone’s lives we all need a escape from day to day situation and I definitely feel free from stress when I’m watching kdrama it truly brings my heart joy!!!:kiss::heart::heart::heart::heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:t4::+1:t4::+1:t4::+1:t4::+1:t4::clap:t5::clap:t5::clap:t5::sob:

1 Like

And I will never stop watching :no_good_woman:t4:kdrama’s I’m addicted :dancer:t2::dancer:t2::+1:t4:to the greatness of kdrama’s …:raised_hands:t5::raised_hands:t5::clap:t5::heart_eyes_cat:

If you want to watch some good English and American series, I recommend the following (all easy to find online)

Downton Abbey
Futurama,
Parks and Recreation,
Office,
Friends ,
The Nanny ,
Blackadder
Upstairs and Downstairs,
Pride and Prejudice
Sense and Sensibility
Cranford

2 Likes

What is the primary reason why you watch Korean dramas? What exactly do you like about them?

I watch because the stories are very good. It’s like watching a really long movie that you just can’t stop watching. Most of the time the acting is great and the way the stories unfold really get you involved with the characters. It’s a lot different from American TV series’. Mostly they get a set amount of episodes and it tells one continous story. American TV can go on for 4 - 10 years and its a repeating of the same things over and over. Also, the love stories/plot lines aren’t like k-dramas. K-dramas stories usually value love with an innocence and courtship type of relationship. Plus I’m interested in other cultures.

I am totally addicted to them. I seem to binge watch a series and then try to figure out which ones to start on next.
I don’t plan on giving up watching them. Although, it would probably be a good idea to cut down my TV watching.
I mostly watch Kdramas, however, I sometimes find a good Chinese, Taiwanese, or British series I like too.
I came across “My love Eundong” on Netflix and started watching. After finishing that series I found my self looking for others and that’s how the obsession started. I felt like I was laughing or crying along with the characters. It moved me.

2 Likes

When I watched “My Love EunDong” I was actually shaking, as if I was on some kind of a drug. I would think each day - it’s Tuesday, in three more days I am going to watch it. Then the next day - it’s Wednesday, in two more days I am going to watch it. I was so addicted to that drama - OMG, it was really scary.

2 Likes
  1. Like any other series I like watch would not change with the dramas in General (Kdrama, Jdrama Cdrama, etc.). I feel like it’s a hobby, maybe last few years and then I didn’t watch more or maybe I keep watching even when married. I don’t know. Only time will tell. :wink:

2. No. I like to watch and I don’t intend to stop watching. It’s like the Mexican, I never stop watching even though I’ve ever watched. :heart_eyes:

3. As a citizen of South america is impossible you have never seen movies/series/American drawings even if it’s not American. So I watch a little bit of everything, watch American movies and series; Novela mexican, asian dramas and even novela brazilian (which by the way is my country) :sunglasses:

4. It was four years ago. My first Kdrama was Heartstrings! And from that day I started watching Asian dramas. :grin:

P.S: even loving the Korean dramas I really like is the Japanese dramas. :blush:

1 Like

I’m not sure we are supposed to post such blatant endorsements of other sites like that…

2 Likes

What is the primary reason why you watch Korean dramas? What exactly do you like about them?
I like a lot of the stories and I think they are well made. Maybe I’m just to bussy reading subtitles, but for example it drives me nuts if the hair of an actress changes with every cut during a conversation. I have not noticed something like that yet in KDramas, but in a lot of amarican productions. I did notice few minor errors though^^.
Furthermore I like that most of them have only around 20 episodes. I don’t like it when originally good stories get desperatly draged on and on for several season until it gets boring. It ruins the whole thing for me.
And I think KDramas often have beautiful soundtracks.

Do you feel you are addicted to watching them or is it just a passing fad? Are you planning to give up watching them in the future?
Well, I think a series should make me want to watch the next episode otherwise it means it’s not really interesting, right? But I wouldn’t call that addiction. I think I will continue starting new ones when I feel like it and have time or when an actor that I like has a part in it.

Do you watch any other TV/movies from other countries as well as Kdramas or do you watch Kdramas exclusively?
I watch Anime and JDramas/Movies as well and I also still watch american productions. Sometimes Chinese productions mainly because of a specific actor.

How did you start watching them?
I watched a TDrama because it is based on a Manga I’m reading and I really liked one of the actors wich happened to be Korean, so I started to check out more of his work.

1 Like

frustration, boredom, escapeism! love watching the actors & actresses. hate saying it but rather watch these than the american ones., the culture, the foods when shown, sometimes a recipe here & there, kinda created a family

1 Like

I think a lot of people are attracted to korean dramas because of how nicely they are made. What I mean by this is that they are high quality, have amazing/attractive actors and actresses, and intriguing plots. I am american and I appreciate how different kdramas are compared to american tv shows.

(I don’t remember the exact order of questions, but here we go lol)

1. I’m pretty addicted to be honest. I only watch one at a time, but I feel incomplete when I don’t have one to watch.

2. I watch anime soooooo not only korean haha

3. I am a HUGE kpop fan and when it was announced that jaebum and jinyoung from got7 were going to be in dream high two, I decided to watch the first one. DREAM HIGH GOT ME HOOKED TO KDRAMAS. After that I watched dream high 2, sassy go go, my love from another star, oh my ghostess, scarlet heart reyo, school 2013, pinocchio, the heirs, and soooo many more haha. I just really enjoy listening to the language, analyzing the cultural differences, and seeing the korean trends.

1 Like