Why do you watch K-drama?

I watch Korean dramas because I find them sort of different than what I’m used to. And because I enjoy them a lot. I like that they aren’t that inappropriate and have good story lines. I also like the fact that the dramas aren’t too long. Short but satisfying.

1. I’m not really addicted to them but its fun to watch and its not a passing fad either. It’s just something I do.
  2. I don’t think so. For all I know, I could be watching them my whole life.
  3. I watch lots of stuff from other countries. Korea, Pakistan, India, America, China, and many more countries. I can’t stick to only one country.
  4. I think I started watching the Taiwanese drama Bromance and was saw that somebody recommended Secret Garden. I watched that and I was hooked. It was so good!
2 Likes

I watch k-dramas because they have a large variety of genres and I tend to change daily on what genre I want to watch depending on my mood… I also the food, culture, fashion and k-pop music

1. I admit that I watch k-drama almost every day since I watch about 10 different show at a time (some new some old) and visit this Viki discussion section too
  2. No, I am not going to quit watching since I enjoy watching them to help me relax on my days off or after work since I have insomnia
  3. I love watching shows from all over the world… I watch Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese, Chinese, British, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, Australian, Canadian, German, Swiss, Italian, French and American… My favorite genre is mystery so I have see almost all of the British/Australian and American mystery shows on Masterpiece Mystery plus the 7 other channels like Viki that I pay for since I don’t have cable… I also like time travel, romantic comedy, sci-fi, medical, crime and historicals… Asian historicals are more interesting to me than American ones probably because I am American and have studied them in school so I like to learn about other cultures and love ancient/medieveal history… I love studying languages too and took German and Japanese in high school and was an exchange student in Norway… I am trying to learn Korean but it is easier for me to learn in a classroom than online
  4. I started watching k-dramas 4 years ago when I bought a Roku and was looking for international shows when I was on medical leave because I fractured my right pilon (foot/leg) and couldn’t work or put weight on my foot for 5 months…I think my first k-drama was Fated to Love You with Jang Hyuk… I fell in love with his character and I laughed, cried and cheered him on… He is still one of favorite actors… I am also impressed with the k-pop bands since they are so talented not only as singers but also as actors, dancers and martial artists…we didn’t have many bands when I was a teenager that could do those things except for maybe the Jackson’s and later we had Backstreet Boys and NSYNC but not as good as the k-pop stars
2 Likes

erin ,so like me!, some of my family makes fun of me as well, BUT these dramas from different countries sometimes are “cleaner” than the american ones, hate to admit that . as for quitting, nope, I will keep going on with these. I have technically adopted some of these actors & actresses, they are kinda like family to me. the fated to love you, korean, I loved that guys laugh, love him in voice, I hope to see more of him later. the other actors & actresses, are great in what they do, you very seldom hear any romors( and yeah a few, but still) I do watch on other links, netflix for one, all those internationals dramas & movies that I cant get here or on the other link. I do love watching these, “escapism” would be a good reason too… oh and yes to learn a language too! how great is that!!

1 Like

I feel comfortable when watching Kdrama. If someone passing by, I won’t feel awkward. If I watch American tv shows, sometimes if someone passing by, it’ll be awkward especially children. (Because some scenes in American dramas have sex scenes for 18+ so that’s why)

1 Like

I was introduced to Kdramas by my teen daughter. I liked foreign movies like Bollywood and was sick of excessive sex and violence on American TV. I am a African American in Midwest US. I saw BOF first then The Good Doctor… Then I was hooked. I don’t think I will quite anytime soon. I am retired so I have plenty of time for watching (normally 4 or more hours per day). I started my cousin and she watches as much as I do.
I like Kdramas because to the storytelling and charactor building. Everybody has a backstory! I also enjoy the emotional buildup. I enjoy the small community feel and the family relationships. There are many types of K dramas and I like mostly family drams set in modern or near modern times.
I find the acting is great and the people are great looking. In addition, the scenery, editing and OSTs are much better than American TV. I enjoy the clothing too… it is never boring.

Thru the dramas I found OSTs and Kpop.

My favorite dramas include:
The Reply series
Dear My Friends
Sangdoo Let’s Go to School
Full House
Coffee Prince
The Heirs
Oh my Ghostess
A Gentlemans Dignity
Yong Pal
and I could go on and on and on

I keep trying to get more friends to try Kdrama but most are put off by the subtitles.

4 Likes

There are many unbelievable plot points in K drama but I remember “this is just a story - it doesn’t have to be realistic”
. I just ride with it because usually the story is worth it in the end.

2 Likes

Add Community to that list…

good quality for one, same here, people kind of laugh at me when I mention the kdramas, and for the dramas you don’t see them jump into bed at the first meeting, I know, I know there are a couple of exceptions to the rule, love the cooking they do on them,

3 Likes
  1. Warrior Baek Dong-soo was my first Korean Drama. But Six Flying Dragon got me hooked on them, I love watching period dramas. Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People, Gunman in Joseon, Dr.Jin. In the middle of Martial Universe some of the characters are too silly. Some other I have watch Chinese Fighter of Destiny , Legend of the Ancient Sword, The Four, All Chines Paladins the first being the best. Legend of Zu, Legend of the Condor Heroes, Strange Hero Yi Zhi Mei, Magic Star, Xin Xia Shi Yi Lang, Demi God Semi Devils, Heavenly Sword Dragon Saber, Damn I almost forgot Princess Agents. My favorite Korean action movie is THE MAN FROM NOWHERE. This is now a fad for me love the martial art movies and drama. I am pray that VIKI somehow get Shaolin Wendao and sub it too. Whoever read this please feel free to recommend any dramas of movies base upon this post.
2 Likes

I watch Korean dramas because they’re different from other tv shows (like american ones for example), the thing I love the most about k-dramas is the acting, there are so many talented actor that make me empathize with their characters and experience many emotions. Then love the fact that I can see beautiful landscapes of Seoul or I can learn about the culture and history of South Korea, this is also another thing: many different genres, usually western tv shows revolve around romance or action. I also find the plots very interesting and unusual like Goblin or Strong Woman Do Bong Soon. They are just SO GOOD, from the acting to the script and direction :sob: :sob: they basically have everything I can’t find in the shows in my country lol

Now I’ll answer the other questions uwu

1. I think I’m pretty much addicted lol I watched 30 dramas in a year, is it a lot?
  2. I don’t think I’ll stop them since I genuinely enjoy watching them.
  3. I watch mainly k-dramas and I watched only 3 Chinese dramas, I haven’t watched any dramas from other countries yet.
  4. I started thanks to my sister, she found the episodes of Dream High on youtube and started watching it, then I joined her. We’re now binge wathcing it :grinning:

Thank you so much for opening this discussion, I really liked sharing my thoughts about this topic! :kissing_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Kdrama is Life and Life is Kdrama. I hope that answers your question. :upside_down::upside_down::upside_down:

3 Likes

My first KDrama was Yellow Handkerchief back in 1995. A local station in Philadelphia ran it at 11:00 at night. At that time I was watching daily dramas mostly then the station stopped broadcasting because you could get KDramas on line. Got myself an iPad and joined Drama Fever. Twenty Three years later I am still watching and as of the last year watching KDramas exclusively (and movies.) I like that they have a beginning and an end instead of going on for ever and ever. Over the years I feel as though I have been able to watch Korean culture change through KDramas which I am really interested in. I also like that I can see my favorite actors frequently in different dramas or movies and watch their career blossom from project to project. They also make me feel good when I’m having a hard time and I watch some over and over again because of this. I will watch some foreign movies from other countries but generally Korean movies are what I’m in to right now.

2 Likes

To stay married…:slight_smile: Living in the US and wife is Korean. So practiced and started watching Kdrama with my wife. I am from India so still learning the language. I am picky about the quality of the acting. but it is fun and mindless entertainment.

5 Likes

I was browsing Netflix and Chuno caught my eye. Jang Hyuk’s passion blew my mind. Looked for more shows and found Secret Garden. Very different shows but I was hooked and I still am with no plans to change.
I was already tired of the laugh tracks, pandering to the lowest common denominator and the way good shows go bad by staying on air long after the inspiration dies.
I love the completeness of a one season show. The 1st ep gets you up and running, story arc and character evolution next, then a definite ending. It’s satisfying. Time is limited so stories tend to be tighter, quicker and focused.
The differences in culture interest me. Proverbs, cliches, habits and history have become familiar so I now feel right at home. But I think it’s heart that keeps me watching. There is just a warmth in k drama that gets to me.
Next came t drama. Eps can be a bit draggy but there are some good things available. Then I found c drama and fell in love again. There are some amazing Chinese dramas out there.
Anyway, thank you Korea. You gave me the gift that never stops giving. And Hyun Bin.

1 Like

hate saying it, but the dramas are (sometimes) so much cleaner than the american ones. I love the respect shown, the timidity of just holding hands, there may be romance brewing, and they don’t touch well till later anyway. dignity as well. my first drama I don’t remember, but when someone watches Healer at least 10 times wow and so many more I have watched like that.

3 Likes

there are a lot of good,awesome dramas out there, just have to pick & choose. some of them are way out for me, I do enjoy a good drama, mystery,sifi,. romance, I do enjoy the actors & actresses, and I wiil mention the new ones as well. be it Chinese,Japanese.Korean Tiwanese . here may be a couple that I don’t care about but not going to say. Like I have said before if you don’t catch me in the first paragraph you didn’t catch me. yeah a book, but same goes for shows,dramas, movies of any sort & kind. maybe its I don’t understand what they are trying to say or do. I have watched many of these and only a handful I just didn’t care about. yes I like watching these dramas, learn new languages as I go along, their culture. so hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Ah, let’s see…

At first, it was my son who was trying to get me into Korean drama. At first, I thought the actors/actresses tended to overact; however, when I REALLY gave it a try, I was quite impressed, so I started watching. I also watch them because I am studying Korean (I study Korean in order to understand what they are saying in Korean musicals when I visit Korea to watch. When I first went there to watch “Death Note” and “Phantom” (both on the same day!), I did not understand a single word! During my recent visit last October, however, when I watched “Bridges of Madison County” at the Charlotte Theater, I was happy to finally understand and get what was going on. Even when I watched 암수살인, I was able to understand some of what was being said. And, since I work in the legal field, I pretty much could tell what was going on, since I have used such methods in evidentiary analysis before.)

I don’t think this is a fad for me. I take it as a supplementary learning experience. I tend to look for the law dramas, however. After getting addicted to law drama, I finally understood my father’s love for Perry Mason.:slight_smile:
As to giving up watching them, that remains to be seen.
Yes, I actually started by watching Japanese dramas, especially Japanese horror like 本当にあった怖い話. I still like watching Japanese dramas; however, viki doesn’t have a lot of J-drama.
I started watching when I was learning Korean and I was curious as to whether or not there was any Korean horror drama. I saw “Coma” and loved it. Unfortunately, Viki doesn’t have it. I really got addicted, however, after I was so impressed with Joo Ji Hoon’s acting in The Devil. That was what made him my favorite. Then, Lee Jong Suk impressed me as well, especially in Pinocchio. That scene in the bus, when he found out that the ‘father’ knew about him, I was crying so hard while watching it. First time Lee Jong Suk has been able to make me cry so hard the way Joo Ji Hoon has been able to (until that time, only Joo Ji Hoon could make me cry all throughout a drama).

And that’s why I watch K-drama.

1 Like

We to put it as simply as possible. THEY MAKE ME HAPPY. There’s not much in this world to make people happy, So for me it’s an escape to see people in situations that your getting to be part of their lives and wish in your brain you could have that kind if relationship, or be really good at something and people recognize you. as an Audience we get to wish for the internet actors as our Hero’s and or dream about If we could be in that situation, that the characters are in. What we would do!! It wakes up the adventurous side of my brain and makes me FEEL!!! and it’s usually HAPPY.

1 Like

Yes I feel That they are addicting. anything that makes you happy you want to continue, But n a good way. I do get Sad when a really good one ends, But I try to find another one similar to the ones I love, But they don’t have it down yet on how to do that.( The system says things you might like) But It only occasionally gets that right. It puts really dumb stuff or totally depressing ones up. I hate sad endings though!!! and I hate It when they never get married and possible have Kids.

1 Like

_**1. * I watch Kdramas because they put color into my life. By that I mean they give me something more that my everyday life lacked. They sweep me off my feet and plant me into another “world.”

_**2. * My husband would definitely put me into the addicted category. I watch mostly foreign shows now vs american standard T.V. So, I guess I’d agree on the addicted bit. haha. :smile:

_**3. * I don’t plan on giving up my addiction of watching foreign dramas. I’ve been watching them for 10+ years. I hope for another 10+.

_**4. * I like Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese, Chinese, Hindi, and Spanish Dramas. Although, I don’t watch Novellas as much as I did back in High School.

_**5. * A first generation Korean-American friend introduced Kdramas to me. He showed me the joys of watching another culture that was so different from my own… I’ll always be grateful to him for adding color into my life.:kiss:

2 Likes