Why do you watch K-drama?

geniejean, you said it all. ,

Hello, Kind of a newbie here. I have watched a lot of international films and shows over the years. I am from the US and I really liked French movies a lot. But once I found Kdramaā€™s I havenā€™t gone back.

Iā€™m going to answer a bit out of order, if you donā€™t mind.

1. I started watching Kdramaā€™s when I started working on another website that streamed movies and shows. We didnā€™t host any of the shows, we just provided, by embedding, links to shows. Viki wasnā€™t one of the websites we could provide links to but we did use Viki as a reference sometimes to find the proper show that was requested. A few of those requests sounded interesting so I watched a couple. I started with I Am Not a Robot, Sketch, Are You Human Too? and like them well enough that I kept coming back while still watching other shows. But once I saw The K2, Healer, Whatā€™s Wrong With Secretary Kim and a couple of others, I was hooked.

2. Addiction? I canā€™t say what I am suffering from is an ā€œaddictionā€ because I feel it is so much more than that. I have a computer hooked up to every TV in my house and there is at least one on Viki and a couple of other sites 24/7. The one in my bedroom is always on all night and I watch up until I fall asleep and if I wake up and there is nothing playing, I either finish what I was watching or find another program to watch.

3. I have tried to go back and watch all of my saved American programs that I used to watch religiously, but I just canā€™t seem to get into them at all anymore. When I do try to watch one I find I am just to bored with it and end up coming back to Kdramaā€™s.

4. What draws me to Kdramaā€™s? French dramaā€™s depend a lot on sex. American dramas seem to depend on shock value, violence, nudity and sex to capture your attention. Kdramaā€™s donā€™t need any of those kind of gratuitous, superfluous tricks. Kdramaā€™s use human emotion to draw in their viewers and only use whatever else is needed when itā€™s needed, such as violence or sex to tell the story. With the possible exception of Whatā€™s Wrong With Secretary Kim and that bedroom sceneā€¦whew. But even that depended on suggestions and innuendo. It was not explicit at all, at least not on screen. What happens in your own mind stays in your own mind. :wink:

5. Will I give up Kdramaā€™s in the future? Only if certain conditions are met.

ā€¦a.) If I die. and

ā€¦b.) if my 4 TV husbands, Ji Chang Wook, Park Seo Joon, Lee Jong Suk and/or Kim Hyun Joong disappear and suitable replacements are not found in my heart and mind. :smile:(Although I doubt youā€™d ever find suitable replacements for Wookie and Sukki)

(Goodness, after looking all of that over I just might have to start a 12 step program :yum: )

Thatā€™s my story and Iā€™m sticking to it.

3 Likes

What is the primary reason why you watch Korean dramas? What exactly do you like about them? I started watching because what I find in K-dramas, I donā€™t find in American shows. Back then the actors actually acted right but now I feel like they just found someone from the street and put them in front of a screen to act with no experience. And whenever I used to watch a show, My parents (ALWAYS) had to walk in when thereā€™s kissing or thereā€™s a sex scene AND they look at me with a weird look on their face and say ā€œThis is what youā€™re watching now tsk tsk tskā€ And because I like the length of the episodes.

Do you feel you are addicted to watching them or is it just a passing fad? I would say I a little addicted to it now (I canā€™t go a week without watching at least a few minutes of one)

Are you planning to give up watching them in the future? A big no (But my sister thinks itā€™s just a phase)

Do you watch any other TV/movies from other countries as well as Kdramas or do you watch Kdramas exclusively? I donā€™t really watch them as often as I watch k-dramas But I watch the ones below.

The Arrowverse Franchise: Supergirl, The Flash, Arrow.
The Chicago Franchise: Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D., Chicago Med, Chicago Justice.

I started with one show but then they have crossovers and I fall for the characters from the other shows and end up watching all of them.

How did you start watching them? Funny thing, back in 2016 my sister was watching ā€œdescendants of the sunā€ somewhere and she was like come watch it with me itā€™s really good. I hate to admit it now (because I hate it when people say that to me) But my reaction was ā€œDo you even understand what they are sayingā€. Fast Forward to a week later, When the season of the show I was watching finished and I had to wait until the new year for the new season. I decided to watch it, Now am here and my sister is regretting her decision to ask me because she claims I ā€œKeep her up at night when I watchā€.

1 Like

I am not Asian. I am American with roots in Great Britain and Germany. I like Dramas because I saw The Last Emperor in my 20ā€™s and was always fascinated by other countries. I saw Atelier on Netflix and sort of discovered KDramas through them. I had been a textile major at Georgia Tech my Freshman year in college and was interested in that drama because the main character was a textile major. My nail salon tech got me interested in Viki. I have been hooked ever since.

One reason I am interested is my daughter Rachel died in Hong Kong in 2006. She went there with my cousin to help her with her children as they traveled from the US to Seoul to Hong Kong. Rachel to appendicitis in Hong Kong and the surgeon cut her aorta with a Trocar. She died there. She was 16 years old. This happened while we were in the States. I still have lots of questions. For some reason, from watching a lot of the medical dramas it helped assure me that their hospitals were every bit as advanced as ours. I think the hierarchy of the hospitals is a joke. It just makes me laugh to see how people behave in the leadership positions. I am learning a lot, though. I am even picking up the language and sometime would like to visit South Korea.

I do like British tv and Hallmark Movies in America. I have gotten tired on most American t.v. because it is too vulgar for my taste. I do like HGTV (home and Garden TV) n America and the cooking shows. I find the Korean language soothing to listen to.
Sorry these arenā€™t in order. I do plan to watch KDramas as long as they are available. Romantic comedies are my favorite, but I do like a good mystery once in awhile. I tend to binge watch these shows, since my daughter Sarah is now married and my mother is in assisted living. Thanks for the translations. I do enjoy the shows.

2 Likes

I do watch certain K-dramas, if they have my favorite Asian actors that have class and have no vulgar scenes all over the place. Like American shows, K- dramas have a lot of flaws, too. I donā€™t know why people tend to criticize more the ā€˜ā€˜Westernā€™ā€™ TV than Asian dramas like they are so perfect and CLEAN, as they call it.

In K-dramas talking with their mouths full, burping without saying ā€˜ā€˜excuse meā€™ā€™ farting loudly and announcing how stinky it is, is FUNNY?. They sit on a toilet and you hear their excrement LOUDLY leaving their body and this is suppose to be a funny scene? Just talking about it I want to throw up! . If you are eating, DONā€™T ever turn on a K-drama, bc 80% of the time theyā€™ll have a scene that will turn your stomach.
Some may say they are mild scenes compared to what happens in American TV, but I have to add I also pick and choose what I watch on USA TV. I think what I hate the most about K-dramas how fast they are with hitting people and I find those kind of scenes offensive, so the charm for k-dramas has dwindle a whole lot for me. I think TV shows are not what they used to be and I feel at this pace I will have nothing to watch.

I may say, I am falling out of love for K-dramas and have no interest in watching them any longer. The oneā€™s I do watch need to have few of those scenes I detest. I do skip those kinds of scenes but just the thought of running into them is taking away the k- drama charm from me.

Certain actors refuse to fall into the trap of those scenes, and I admire them so much for that. I mainly watch those k-dramas that keep their decorum and donā€™t see such a vulgar scene as funny. I was just watching a korean movie and the husband was getting romantic with his wife and she farted not once! but twice, and he almost threw up from the stench. Certain things are not funny to me at all, they are revolting in my book, may I say. I hope they stop adding so many of those scenes on K-dramas, so I can continue to enjoy them as much as I use to enjoy them in the past.

1 Like

I knew Park SeoJoon was built bUt I didnā€™t know he was built like a brick wall, Iā€™m happy weā€™ve found out :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

escapeism & I like them

2 Likes

federicascotti97,

Park Seo Joon is a dangerous man. There have to be thousands of other women like us that would commit any number of actions if it meant being able to get lost in those big beautiful arms and look at us with those deep sensuous eyes and luscious lips if he would only look our way. But then again, I think the only thing I could do if he actually ever looked at me would be to melt into a great big puddle of mush. Heā€™s certainly brought a lot of sunshine to my life. :relaxed: :heart_eyes: :kissing_heart:

P.S. Sorry if I might confuse you but Iā€™m changing my avatar. I just picked a random when when I signed up but now want to use the one I always use. (Ok, maybe not. It doesnā€™t seem to want to give me an option to change my avatar. Crap.)

1 Like

I bet his hug feels like heaven :sob::sob::sob::sob:

Donā€™t worry!! Thinking about it I couldnā€™t do it too, I think you have to change it on the main Viki account and see if it changes here too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry about your daughter. hugs I canā€™t imagine what you must have gone though.

This tragic sad story confirms to me what I thought all alone, that we have our destiny written, as to how long we live in this filthy, polluted earth.

For a 16 year old to go and help someone, get to the Hospital on time, and yet, die bc of a Doctorā€™s neglect itā€™s so incredibly cruel to me.

I said to myself if only she had not gone there, but it really was her destiny. We have a time to be born and a time to die. Some live longer otherā€™s live less.

I took care of a 90 year old man who took 3 weeks to die and at the end, he would look at me and say "'I want o die, why Iā€™m still here? I told him the time and day of his death was written and there was nothing I could do but pray so the LORD would have mercy and take him home soon. That same night as soon as I left his side to go and rest to my house while the other nurse took care of him, he died. I had not even started praying so it proves to me his hour to die had come.

Believe it or not, is all done by a plastic surgeon. Those beautiful ABS in these skin and bones actors are man made.

I saw a documentary about that. I learned is a very painful procedure, and these actors never have the time to exercise to have those perfect ABS in the first place (they also need FAT which they have Zero in their body)ā€¦ lol

If you look closely to the pictures, is very obvious when is a fake ABS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPBR3kIWUj4

Hey, what happened? Did viki removed all their tv shows from their platform or what?

Nope, but maybe a server problem. A lot of patience is needed and try, try, try again.
At the moment no comment at twitter or Help Center, maybe because itā€™s still the weekend.
Hopefully it will be more stable again later. (some hours/a day?)

I donā€™t really believe it, well it might be true for some actors, but Iā€™ve always believed that since they are doing a job that requires them to be good looking and stuff, they would take care of themselves like having a healthy life and doing excercise.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t seen his ABS but you can tell the real ones from the man made one. They do live and eat healthy but they are so skinny is humanly impossible for those ABS to develop unless the scapel works its magic.

The guy from W/Pinocchio/I hear your voice and also did ā€˜ā€˜Death Songā€™ā€™ in that movie you see his prefect ABS, but those are obviously man made.

That guy?? Goodness, how can anyone refer to Lee Jong Suk as ā€œthat guyā€? LOL I do agree that he is a bean pole so Iā€™m not sure how genuine his abs are but still. Thatā€™s Lee Jong Sukā€¦abs are the least of his talents. LOL

I didnā€™t say THAT guy I said THE guy from W etcā€¦, I never can remember them by name, so I identify them by dramas/movies they have done, and I consider them to be great dramas or movies.

I believe that in order for a person to have ABS they need FAT to turn it into muscles but those skin and bones guys donā€™t even have an ounce of fat in them, so I know those ABS are fake. I have to say the ABS in him were very unattractive when I saw them bc it made him look more skeletal looking.

On the other hand, Iā€™ve seen some guys in South India - luggage porters at train stations - who were frightfully skinny, yet very muscular. One of them took both my suitcases (about 20 kg) on his head and went on towards the hotel. It was uphill, he was going at a brisk pace and I was panting to catch up with him, although it was 30 years ago, I weighed half of what I weigh now and exercised regularly. I didnā€™t see his abs, of course, but the manā€™s legs and arms were bulging with muscles like steel wire, although he was so thin, no fat on him at all.
So it is possible, in some cases.

1 Like

@angelight313_168

Please except my apology. I didnā€™t mean to offend. I just thought it cute that you didnā€™t seem to know his name when he is so popular. And I agree that they used someone elseā€™s abs because heā€™s nothing but a beanpole. Butā€¦he is starting to fill out now from what I can tell on his new show. He is far from having those kind of abs yet and Iā€™m not sure he ever will but heā€™s cute even without abs of steel. :wink:

1 Like