Why do you watch K-drama?

@riversdancingshadow

It’s okay. I really wish I could memorize their name but is really hard for me no matter how hard I try, and I was too lazy at the moment to look around for his name.

I just hope these young actors/actress stop doing so many plastic surgeries. Lee Jong Suk, didn’t needed those fake ABS, and I hope he removes them soon. I hope this thing doesn’t affect his health either. He’s such a great actor and has so much talent, and I hope he knows that’s more than enough for his fans, me included.

1 Like

The first drama I watched was IRIS. I live in the United States where action programs are quite popular and very well done. The quality of writing, acting, and cinematography of IRIS was every bit as good or better than similar US productions. I loved everything about it including the great music. That experience encouraged me to explore other Korean programs. I have not turned back and now watch far more Korean programing than anything else. I love the fact that they are great story lines, wonderful and talented lead actors and amazing children and character actors. There is at least one new beautiful song in each drama. I am listening to Korean music now as well. I love that political agendas for the most part aren’t pushed. I love that the man/woman relationships are developed slowly and not overplayed. I love that Korean culture is presented for me to understand and appreciate both good and bad. I love that my eyes have been opened to another very beautiful part of the world. I even traveled to Korea this year to see Seoul and Jeju. I am thankful that I discovered this wonderful treasure chest of entertainment.

2 Likes

Like rbcoast I live in the United States. However, personally I have decided to watch very little or no American television other than the weather for it being so politicize, vulgar, and lacking in basic morals . Now, to answer the questions.

1. Do you feel you are addicted to watching them? Absolutely, Like I commented these dramas are all I watch now. Seriously, my family and friends say that it has lifted my outlook on life because of America TV is so depressing.

2. Are you planning to give up watching them in the future? I have no intentions to stop watching these dramas as long as they maintain the morals standards I appreciate and I am able to read the subs.

3. Do you watch any other TV/movies from other countries as well as Kdramas …? I watch all types of movies available here on VIKI. I have come to love all of them. However, my favorites are the Kdramas and I do enjoy the Japanese ones too.

4. How did you start watching them? I believe I first saw one on YOUTUBE and then on Amazon Prime.

3 Likes

1: si en un gran sentido aunque no solo veo los coreanos también veo dramas chinos ,japoneses, taiwaneses
desde la primera vez que vi JARDÍN SECRETO me llamaron la atención y empece a verlos su historias no se hacen aburridas como en mi país y eso me gusta ademas me gusta muco la cultura asiática así que siento una gran atracción a sus programas y cultura así que también veo mucho anime
2: no lo creo
3: películas también veo algunas series estadounidenses pero son pocas las que e llaman la atención
4: creo que ya respondí, por cierto JARDÍN SECRETO y ESCALERA AL CIELO la transmitieron por televisivo nacional en mi país

1 Like

I am an elderly female in America. I enjoy the drama, more detailed and some historical info. The most interesting thing is I am always interested in the way oriental shows keep you waiting for the next episode. I feel like I must have been oriental in my past life. I feel like there are a lot of facts mixed with fantasy but maybe more facts.

2 Likes

Your question actually gets at something I’ve been studying in graduate school. I’m also curious about how people pick what Korean dramas they watch. Currently I’m running a survey as part of my thesis project. Please consider taking it! https://link.medium.com/TPVZTKubQU

1 Like

That’s really great! A happy wife is a happy life, after all.

By the way, between Hollywood, Hallyuwood and Bollywood, which do you prefer?

It’s funny, I feel like there is almost a seasonal shift in what kinds of movies I want to watch. In the late winter/early spring I’m all about Bollywood. Take me somewhere warm, full of color, songs, dancing and passionate face touching.

In the summer I enjoy big Hollywood block busters or smaller U.S. indie movies.

Fall is a good time for Korean movies. I do tend to watch more of the Korean thrillers so that might account for it.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s great! To every thing there is a season, after all. I apply it to food, though. :joy_cat:
Anyway, thank you for your answer, and have a pleasant weekend!

2 Likes

Well I started watching dramas with my mother at a young age. She watched a variety of different kinds of drama. Mainly Chinese, Japanese, and of course Korean. I didn’t actively start watching and searching for K-Drama until I was about 13 I’d say. I used to watch many american crime dramas like Bones, NCIS, Criminal Minds etc. But those shows never really end they go on forever and I loved the shows but the more i watched K-Drama the more I realized I liked the absolute end and beginning not endless episodes. I never watched any of the american teen dramas cause they always seemed so stupid and needlessly dramatic. Filled with too many misunderstandings and unrelatable bullshit.

Anyway the reasons I love K-Drama

1. Like I said before I love the absolute beginning and end. It gives me something to look forward to and helps me to feel at peace because I know eventually/soon the end is coming and everything will be solved

2. The production and writing of many of the dramas are so good. They always cast such great actors/actresses the stories really draw you in and you can imagine yourself as the character depending on the drama or at least sympathize with them. As someone who usually doesn’t cry or feel anything when watching sad scenes in movies or shows that’s a big thing for me. If I’m able to get to a point where I’m like omg I could cry it’s a good scene/drama. That’s part of my criteria.

3. I love when the drama really grabs you by your throat from the beginning but can also creep up on you, throw so many twists and turns yet still be great and not over the top. Sometimes they try to do too much and it doesn’t work. There’s so many different dramas out there and I’ve only watched a small portion.

4. I love the innocence of love and friendship but also the other aspects of life that they put in the drama. It helps me understand Korean culture in some of the things they do but also helps me see some of the flaws in Korea. Not all K-Dramas have the innocence and love which is fine but they can definitely be cleaner than American dramas. It’s refreshing
    (can’t really think of anything else right now)
    Now to your questions

Definitely not addicted I’d say.I’m a casual viewer. But there was one time I was addicted to watching a drama. I was thinking about it all day and tried to watch it anyway I could while I was at school lol. Made sure to hurry and finish my work to watch it.

I think I’ll keep watching K-Drama for years to come as long as there’s some that interests me

I mainly watch anime and K-drama these days. I also watch superhero movies mainly Marvel. I’m not opposed to watching any other kind but none have interested me other than Sherlock.

1 Like

a lot of these dramas are a lot cleer than the American ones, they don’t jump into bed when they first meet for one thing, and oops did find one that did just that. but these are a much cleaner, afraid to touch each other? hmmm, yeah yeah I know, its getting different now. but still much cleaner…

1 Like

Ive been watching kdrama, and some Cdrama or Tdrama. for about 10 yrs. My daughter got me started by asking me to watch the drama Coffee Prince. I started watching others, and found the subs fun, plus the culture interesting. NOW I am addicted, it is a hobby and I do watch American movies, but not TV . Since I am English speaking I enjoy learning about the culture and language. I find that the acting and music from south Korea is very competitive and progressive. It is fascinating how such a small country can be producing these types of dramas and music. I have to have subs and often chuckle that I needs subs for the comments since many spanich speaking people also watch.

1 Like

refreshing, well at least some are, love it when they avoid touching each other, and the main one is they don’t jump into bed when they first meet, now I found a couple of dramas that do just that. just like how they come acr5oss, virtue, values, respect, etc. and us americains kinda falling from that. hate to say that.

2 Likes

I watch them because I find that there is nothing new on american/canadian tv anymore. Everything is either documentary style or competition shows and surprisingly found them very interesting and enjoyable so I kept with it

3 Likes

After I finished watching Shopaholic Louis, I suddenly realized that the main reason I love k-dramas so much is that they are filled with so much HEART. There is so much importance placed on the value of life, on family and relationships. There is something refreshing and endearing even about the portrayal of daily life.
They might have cliches and are cringey at times, but they fill up my heart and warm all it’s corners :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I don’t think k-drama has this much popularity just because they have good-looking people-- every country in the world has good-looking people. There’s just something very sweet about slow-burn romances and the daily ordinary bickering of family members. I love how much time it takes for them to come closer. You hardly see anyone jumping into a relationship just to experiment whether they are good for each other. It feels more real that way. And that back-patting to comfort a person when they need it actually feels so reassuring!
In addition, a lot of k-dramas are made extremely well, it’s very rare for a country’s tv-network shows to have this much popularity, I feel like k-dramas are more popular than k-movies!

1. There was a time I felt addicted to them, and even with lots of self-control, I still have times where I just want to keep splurging on them…don’t feel like it’s a passing fad. :grin:
  2. Don’t plan on ever giving them up, I always end up going to one to relieve stress or rewatching stuff when I feel down.
  3. I do watch Bollywood and Hollywood…though mostly older stuff. I can say that I feel safer with k-drama choosing rather than others.=, because I usually know what to expect.
  4. Starting watching because of my friends, so thankful to them!:grin:
2 Likes

I watch k-dramas because they did not fail me one time. There have been europe and american series I was watching but in the end I lost interest because the storyline was somehow flat. But with k-dramas they always keep me up in interest and sometimes I just NEED to continue watching because I am so curious :joy:

To question No.2: Definetly yes!
3. I don’t think I would stop watching them.
4. I do watch chinese drama aswell but my favourite is k-drama (because I am interested in the culture and language aswell)
5. It was some day where I was pretty upset because I did not know what to watch. I was fedup with other series and then I just tried something new. I first came across them at Netflix I guess:thinking:

2 Likes

1.Some of their traditions are similar with ours. Also,the languages are grammarly similar, but it’s not the main reason. Probably it’s because I can’t watch long series.The dramas that everyone watch on Netflix are good too but generally they have more episodes than Kdrama. I don’t like stuffs that keep me waiting or watching for a long time. Just like I don’t like watching movies at all. But Kdramas generally have 16-20 episodes. I think that is the main reason. Besides, I really love Korean language.
2.I think it’s not addiction but…just love it.
3.I’m not sure but it’s not my daily routine so I can give up. It’s just like a break for myself.
4.I don’t usually watch but sometimes my friend suggest me some Chinese movies.
5. Firstly I got into Kpop with Suju. Then my cousin recommended me “Secret Garden”. I finished it in a short time and didn’t watch anything after that. But after “Descendants of the Sun” and “Hwarang” I continued watching. So here I am! :tipping_hand_woman:

3 Likes

My name is joy I like the movie because I in enjoy it but it that all the movie he make.

1 Like

I’ve posted answers to these questions in other threads. I’ll link them, but here is an answer featuring Italian K-drama fans. :blush:

I so agree!

1 Like

Yes, I agreed with you about falling out of love with K-dramas. There are still some good ones coming out but they are rare. I left American tv due to the foul language. I hate horror films and killing constantly on the shows. So I have mainly switched over to Chinese dramas. I know they are not perfect but there are plenty on wholesome family ones, good romances, historical ones have amazing costumes, I also enjoy watching a good medical drama. So as you say there so much to pick from.

2 Likes