An out of the blue survey

Ah, I see. Good luck with everything you need to do. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen it on some other threads too. I just assumed that the person who started the thread had somehow set it that way, but apparently not.

auch bekommen und andere subber auch

A very unfortunate planning on Viki’s part to send a request for the VikiBot corrections and the survey at the same time :laughing:

Yes, the bottom thing (7-day expiration) is quite annoying. Something to put into a survey perhaps? :smile:

5 Likes

I received both the survey and the request for the vikibot corrections. Viki does love me a lot !:joy:

1 Like

I began to notice the seemingly random attachment of this 7-day window notice a few weeks back, but it’s not on every discussion thread — I’m really curious as to the criteria for it being attached? Is it, indeed, random? Or do the Viki moderators independently decide which topics get this limited time-frame?

@jeslynl May we ask for the criteria and explanation for this new feature? Thanks!

3 Likes

I’m thinking that, facing the giants of streaming (Netflix, now Disney, …) and the claims of a lot of viewers about the slowness of certain translations, Viki is considering new ways for its application. I presume that the claims must have increased with all the people forced to stay at home because of the covid-19.

But do Netflix and the rest also use bots to translate?

Either way, I think there’s a big difference. On Viki you can watch a whole lot of shows for free, and even without an account. While waiting for subtitles of one show, there are enough other shows to watch in the meantime. So what right do users have to be so impatient? Better wait a while for high quality subtitles than rush into shows with bad subtitles.

2 Likes

Ah, I think it’s not Viki who’s pushing the application of the bot, but their parent company Rakuten.

4 Likes

NX has human translators. At least for Korean shows. All the “hyungs”, “unnies” etc. are converted to personal names :joy:

2 Likes

Haha, bots can have personal names too. Sophia is even an “official citizen” of Saudi-Arabia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_(robot)

2 Likes

Kind of creepy, I must admit :smile:

1 Like

If you try to change the topic’s category from “Volunteering” to another one, does the message disappear or no?

1 Like

@piranna Changed it but stays the same …

You can create a link to this topic to a new one where you pick another category?
People can continue to answer like that.
I think it’s the volunteering category.

1 Like

This “delete after 7 days” thing sucks. There are many very good old threads which deserve to be revived from time to time. Why close them?

2 Likes

Just remember- I think about 99% of the “innovations” at viki come out of the technical/engineering side and NOT out of community support who deal with users and volunteers. It’s not as though anyone is clamoring for these changes among users or volunteers.

2 Likes

I totally agree. It would only be good for threads that literally have an expiration date, like recruiting for an upcoming drama. But in that case, the person who starts the thread (or whoever has the tools to do so) could delete it when the team is complete.
Any other thread might arouse the interest of future users. Or old users might suddenly remember it and want to turn back to it.
Of course, as long as we keep posting on the 7 day expiration threads, the 7th day after the last post will never come and the thread will stay. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The fact is they never do, they are too lazy! When I could still edit thread titles, I went to many old ones, checked that the translation was done and added [COMPLETE] to the title. Because new subbers kept writing on those threads (which came as search results) and they didn’t think of looking at the date, which in some cases was as old as 2016 or 2017!
On the other hand, there are some old, semi-abandoned projects, which still need subbers, even after many months.

And we can’t keep making the rounds and reviving all the old threads once a week, that’s too much work!

2 Likes

That might be one of the reasons for this new feature then. But it seems to be done very randomly.

1 Like

And they destroy Chinese shows by stripping the HONORIFICS OFF. Not exactly helpful as that is one way to tell who knows who and to what degree. Sigh. Formality matters, who is courteous and why. It is part of the plot…like in a historical or costume drama, the pictures of the shoes…footwear determines status often and who you are. :slight_smile:

1 Like