Animes vs Kdramas

I have recently started watching animes. I’m absolutely loving it. But I have many friends telling me that animes are better than kdramas. I don’t know yet which is better and nor am I able to compare. What do you all think?bts

4 Likes

Personally, I like k-dramas over anime, but is just bc ‘‘anime’’ is geared more towards younger ppl. (in my opinion). My grandson loves Japanese anime, and I watched a few he recommended to me; but I didn’t like anime as much as the Japanese drama version of the anime. Same goes for Korean anime they ‘‘don’t reel me in’’ at all as much as the Korean drama version does.

2 Likes

I see, it feels like both are great at their own place. I’m going to watch both of them for sometime and decide which is better

3 Likes

I think it is just a matter of taste, if you like this or the other thing better, not only when it comes to drama or anime.

4 Likes

If you already like them both, I’d be willing to bet you will continue to like them both. As you said, they each have their own place.

It’s sort of like asking me if I like Kdramas or Cdramas better. I like both. There are similarities and differences and room for comparing and contrasting, but it won’t change the fact that I like each for their own reasons.

4 Likes

I liked cartoons when I was a kid but the art does not really appeal to me now. I prefer k-dramas OF webtoons.

2 Likes

I also prefer dramas over anime, maybe I’ve watched the wrong animes, but I find anime to be more juvenile & extreme, their reactions, the subject matter, they usually skirt the line of decency. There’s behaviour in anime that wouldn’t fly in live action dramas. Their depiction of women, just not my cup of tea.

5 Likes

I think real actor shows should be compared to other real actor shows and animated shows with other animations.

Comparing real actor shows with animations is like comparing comics to novels.

Anyway it’s a personal preference.

4 Likes

Aw… When I was 7? 8? (What? It was in '67?) well 11 then… :rofl: I was in love with Speed Racer. :rofl: It was one of the first animes in the States. (But then again, I was also in love with one of the actors in the original Godzilla movies too. :rofl: )

Now, (50 years later) When I look at it, I wonder where my head was then and why I had such a crush on that cartoon guy. :rofl: (No accounting for the tastes of a 7 year old ) :rofl:

Interesting! I never knew this;
" In the series, Speed’s full name was Go Mifune, in homage to Japanese film star Toshiro Mifune. His name, Americanized, became Speed Racer.

Toshiro Mifune was one of my favorite actors. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Animated characters and gaming characters can be quite sexy because of the visuals + voice combination.

I’d say some C drama (usually fantasy) are able to come most close to the impression of animated characters.

The Swedish scifi show “Real Humans” was also able to create that atmosphere through its setting, makeup and acting (including the behaviour/ moves of the androids that were of course played by humans).

4 Likes

Have you watched (animes) The Silent Voice! It is really good but touches on some tough subjects.

2 Likes

Yes agree with many things you pointed about anime. And yes, many kdrama or other dramas are good too . But there are some exceptional animes too if you want to try out. Like death note, which was remade into Hollywood too. And if you like bloody, gruesome fantasy genre with unpredictability then I suggest you try attack on titan. The women are not shown in an odd way here. It’s rating is 9. And if you like more romance type genre then ghibli movies and your name . But overall I respect your opinion.

1 Like