Anyone learning Mandarin?

Hello Everybody,

I was wondering if there’s sb who is also learning Mandarin.
I am still a beginner and I can only use pinyin, not the characters but I love the language.

Could you please recommend some sites/books/apps that I could learn with? Preferably for free.
I used to study with yoyochinese which I absolutely loved but I can’t afford it at the moment.

Thank you <3

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile:

Difficult language, isn’t it? I always feel like I’m taking one step forward and seven behind.

I have a few recommendations that worked for my learning style:

I use the free parts of HSChinese (especially for hsk1 and hsk2) It mainly offers mobile apps, but if you register you can do dozens of mock test exercises on their website.

I also like the Chinese Grammar Wiki. It is very detailed and with lots of examples.

I I found out about this website by @emmelie96. It explains the texts and is great for honing your reading and writing skills.

For listening, you can always trust www.Viki.com :slight_smile:

Since you are a beginner, just do what I do: try to recognize basic vocabulary. Pronouns, family members, main foods, types of buildings…

Viki Fan Channels usually have subtitles in simplified chinese. You could isolate a phrase that you’d like to learn, copy the subtitles and look them up in your dictionary.

2 Likes

I recomend to you app pleco, is very usefull and help me when I study mandarin =D

3 Likes

I really like this blog https://themandarincornerblog.com/
Just for a fun and informative read about some Chinese phrases and their cultural context and background

2 Likes

Thank you so much @christina_!

I will definitely take a closer look to those websites.

I am a quite demanding learner because I like structure and building up on the basics. That doesn’t make it easier. :smiley:

Viki helps me a lot with the listening. I will try to follow your recommendations.

Thank you again!

1 Like

Thank you @camila_chang! I downloaded the app and it looks interesting! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the tip @jubri! :slight_smile:

Glad to help :slight_smile:

I’m struggling with chinese myself, any advice or tip would be welcome.

1 Like

How about making a (relaxed) beginners’ study plan and compare notes? Nothing too demanding, just something to keep the motivation going :slight_smile:

If more learners respond here, we could all work together.

That sounds great! :blush:

I really miss a language buddy since I don’t go to any classes.

Do you have an idea where to start? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, sure… :joy:

1 Like

:smile: :smile:

On a more serious note…
What do you think is better?

To follow the chinese official test contents, that are based on lists of words and grammar points, are not exactly thematic but are what they are looking for? Or follow the CEFR descriptions, which are based on communication needs, are not exactly on par with hsk levels but are more useful for daily interactions and general use of the language?

1 Like

I think that it is better to learn how to speak and use the language in every day life. Not only it will be easier for us to learn because it is something that we can use to speak with native speakers or catch when watching the video, but it is also a good base to continue with studying for the HSK levels later.

1 Like

I agree.
I’m also more used to it than the hsk way.

1 Like

I guess it depends what your aims are, but personally I think that when it comes to learning a language being consistent is the most important thing. Study a little every day. Or if you have enough time then study a lot everyday. If you read a bad textbook cover to cover you’ll still learn more Chinese than if you read only a little bit of a very good textbook. Also, I think it’s good to go with whatever keeps you most motivated. I’d be interested to hear what others think…

1 Like

I agree that motivation is everything. The best ressources won’t help if we don’t use them.