Appeal, let's help Hawaii

Dear colleagues, there was a big fire in Hawaii in which not the entire population was spared.
A large number of people suffered both serious and minor injuries, 96 people died and most lost everything they had earned through their hard work.
I appeal to all who can send any help to approach humanitarian organizations for this region.
This is an appeal for help to those who until yesterday had a roof over their heads and today are sleeping under a clear sky.
Let’s help, because we don’t know what awaits us tomorrow.

Bepina

10 Likes

It is such a tragedy and so unfair. I visited Maui with mom in 2010 and we also ate lunch at Lahaina and admired the very old Banyan tree, they are hoping the tree will recover. Other than that it’s all destroyed… how did the fire started is still unknown. No alarm was given, which is very strange.
A friend of mine moved 3 years ago to the island but is in the eastern part or the other half island.
May people get the help they need, government opened shelters and people are filling FEMA forms, but it will be a long road to recovery and some personal possession you’ll never get back :sob:
May the passed away people rest in peace :candle:
Sending prayers and energy to the people who were affected :pray:
I don’t currently know any charities who are directly helping if anyone knows you can post it here…

4 Likes

The Red Cross is very active in disaster relief right now in Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii, USA, just as it has helped in disaster relief for disasters elsewhere in the world so if you want to make a donation, you can make it to the Red Cross and say it is for disaster relief in Maui. Hawaii Wildfires ─ Red Cross Providing Shelter, Comfort to Victims.

6 Likes

@cgwm808 Glad to see you posting here. I was thinking about you the other day wether or not you and your family and friends are ok given the circumstances.

Such a tragedy has happend in Hawaii :frowning:
You could really see the climate change with all the extreme weather and things by nature these days around the world. Heavy rain, fires, extreme heat, drought, snow at places and times it normally does not snow. And all that leads to distasters like this terrible one in Hawaii.

4 Likes

Great idea. Such an awful tragedy, I hate to read the news especially given the alarms didn’t go off. I’ve some friends there who are thankfully ok. Thanks for the red cross link, will make a donation.

3 Likes

Thank you dear

3 Likes

Japan :jp: pledges millions to Maui, Hawaii’s recovery.

:face_with_monocle: I for one, am still waiting for the true cause of the reason this fire happened. :thinking:

3 Likes

The South Korean government donated $2 million for fire relief today.

4 Likes

re:cause of fire
One “fire analyst” claims from viewing various people’s videos and the reports from the electricity company concerned when power was lost and restored that the first of many of the Maui fires was started when a large tree fell on an electric power line and broke the line. All the lights nearby went off briefly. When the electricity started again, and lights went back on, there was electric current being fed to the broken line which had fallen on the very dry brush in the area and the first fire started. After that the fire was spread by very high winds. There are claims that because of global warming, droughts are worse than they were before, so the amount of wildfires throughout the world has increased.

3 Likes

Still waiting for the truth (after proper and official investigations are done) about this catastrophe… :timer_clock:

IMO, the government aid of “one-time payment of $700 per household” is definitely not enough for the residents there, not in this inflation era, and not now when everything costs an arm and a leg for everyone. Hope more aid will get to them, the victims or their families, and not in the hands of scammers or miscreants.

It’s a terrible tragedy! Looking at “then and now” pics and vids on the internet, and hearing from friends… :astonished: :sob:
:pray: R.I.P.

2 Likes

The $700 will pay for enough food for 1.5 people for one month . For people who are homeowners or car owners, it is highly likely they will have insurance to pay for the home and the car so if the owners don’t owe too much on house loans and car loans, they will have enough in theory to put a down payment on a new house or car and to start over. The problem is that there will be almost nothing available to buy on Maui. Housing costs in Hawaii are usually the highest in the entire USA.

4 Likes

Ziggy Marley, one of many artists performing at the MauiStrong Benefit Livestream.

3 Likes