Are honest Contributors disappearing, benefiting the translation software?

That’s new :joy: :

https://www.viki.com/tv/35834c-come-and-hug-me

So that’s where we’re heading? Is it now worth it to complain about auto subtitles? :roll_eyes::expressionless:

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, after the volunteer strike they had said that Viki would auto-translated the most popular languages until those are not filled in properly (by human translators)? I seem to remember something along those lines. :thinking:

I do remember that as well, but It was if there was no one who could translate that show. I don’t see any team on that drama, so of course if you’re not looking for spanish moderators, portuguese moderators and french moderators, you won’t find it.

Who’s going to judge the quality of these subtitles?

And I do think they’ve got double standards, we’re not allowing automated subtitles from external sources, because of the bad quality, but we’ll put our own that are also bad quality. But since it’s our subtitles, that’s fine.

5 Likes

Huh wasn’t that Kdrama licensed for our region (Europe) before? I find it odd that it never had subs in those languages as it’s an older kdrama that has been on yt since it’s broadcast.

But maybe I’m confused with an other kdrama and this one was never licensed for Europe.

1 Like

Actually, I’ve just double checked, and it seems that it’s going to be licenced in Europe as well.
But the question of quality remains. Licence-wise, Kocowa probably have some issue with subtitlers translating, but they’re agreeing on seeing their drama botched in three languages… That’s odd.

4 Likes

I think this is how most dramas/shows/movies will end up here at viki site. No mention of teams and in regards to review and comments, I still can’t submit reviews (I’m planning to delete all my reviews in my profile anyway). I think they want to remove the reviews section bc it will only be about complaints of bad subtitles etc…(I’m guessing).

I checked the Spanish subtitles on episode 1 for at least the first 10 minutes and is a bit of a disaster. They are using in Spanish informal speech when it should be formal. I recognize the way they translating that drama and that’s no AI or bot translation. I don’t see the need to hide the team now, and is so weird you found this drama like that. I did see weird stuff going on here, and that is; dramas that were translated long time ago, and now there is a new team ‘‘working’’ on them like it was just translated recently when in reality I saw that drama back in 2013 here at this site fully subbed.

Forgot to mention that the new thing here shows are segmented now by non Ninja Academy Badge ppl. with very disastrous consequences bc the segments are so crappy. I wonder, how are they getting away with this? Why this has been allowed to happen in here? What is really going on in here? Now, is not only pre-subbed dramas/shows issues but segments issues, too. If they are fixing the shows/dramas etc…segments; why are they in worse condition than before? Something is so wrong here if the quality of this site is going to be affected, instead of improving. It makes no sense whatsoever.

2 Likes

I saw that as well that in some teams seggers didnt have propper training by NSSA or Seg101. Usually those channels are managed by newbie CM who either don’t know or maybe don’t care. I decided to not give advise unless I’m asked for advise because not every new CM liked my good intentions and some where even offended.

5 Likes

Yes, they definitely won’t take your advice. I mean I didn’t received offensive response like years ago, but it was a clear with nice words: F/O. But what puzzles me is; why is this is allowed to be happening now? What are they gaining from this? Isn’t this affecting this site a lot? I mean I saw many complaints before, but until I didn’t started doing some deep digging, I couldn’t know what the complaining was all about. It’s sad that this is going on in here, and nothing is being done about it. PRETTY SAD.:worried::worried::worried::worried:How is this going to end? Who in their right mind will pay to see crappy subbed/segged stuff?

1 Like

That is very odd, indeed.
Well, I think it’s ridiculous enough for a company to prevent their shows from being translated, but to demand automatic translation instead of human subtitlers is just bizarrre.

5 Likes

There’s a lot of things happening here that are very bizarre; like allowing newbies to CM/ Segg/ Sub/ dramas/shows/ and in the process they are giving such low quality work, it’s beyond belief.

I was always in favor of newbies to be given the opportunity to work as a volunteer here, but it was as long as this person knew what they were doing, and was giving her/his best quality work in the subs/segs etc…not the disaster I’ve seen lately in some dramas/shows etc…

They must have gotten the cheapest/worst automatic translation system to be used here at this site.

5 Likes

I know what I do when I run into intellectually indigestible subtitles, and segmenting :smile: I drop, watching, the show like a hot potato :potato::hotsprings: (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧

5 Likes