Are honest Contributors disappearing, benefiting the translation software?

This is what I send to any new subber: " You’ve been added to the team. Please start with episode 1 and when you have subbed as much as you can, even if you can’t reach 100%, feel free to move to the next episode. Please do NOT use something like Google Translate to translate into ###. Subs should be written by you as software translations are notoriously poor. Please don’t use a break except to divide two people’s speech in the same segment or speech and text (such as text on screen or song lyric) in the same segment. Never use a break in a segment if you just want one person’s dialogue to look nice. If you write something and then decide you want to skip the segment and leave it blank, delete what you put in the segment and save. Don’t put in a period or comma or some other character because you don’t know how to delete what you wrote. If you have any problems, please write to www.viki.com/users/cgwm808. Thanks for volunteering."
The reason I send the message is because I don’t want the excuse “I didn’t know”. The other parts of the message address other issues I have discovered with new subbers.

14 Likes

Very thorough, and thoughtful. Experience has it’s advantages. (。•̀ᴗ-)✧ :+1:t5: :blush: :fist:t5:!

3 Likes

This would be a problem, because nowadays it is very hard for a beginner to find shows not behind Viki pass, in order to achieve the desired number. For the most popular languages, most shows have already been translated. Many of the old shows (you know, the crappy ones from 2005-2008) have lost their licence and not renewed it, and are now restricted - even with a vpn it is impossible to access them. Once upon a time there were old Hollywood black and white films, or cartoons. Now these are gone too.

Moreover, what you suggest would penalize the honest newbies willing to show their hard work, whereas the dishonest ones still could easily produce great numbers of subs easily and quickly with the help of Google.

11 Likes

:smile::laughing::joy::joy::rofl::joy: Like a mouse trying to find the cheese, the trap snapped.

Screening seems to work then, maybe having all volunteers go through a better screening after the Academy?

We’re doing the same, explaining rules from the start, even before the ep starts. I check every part of new subbers to see if it’s copied now. And then when you try and contact them, they’re like, I didn’t know, or, I didn’t use them. (When it’s more than obvious it’s the case).

I just remembered there used to be a thing on Viki where you could ask as a moderator for a subber to be granted the Vikipass and the QC status. It’s true it’s probably more work on their part, and granting QC automatically is easier. But that could be a thing again. And I think there’s still a lot of chinese drama (correct me if I’m wrong, I’m not working on chinese drama recently) that are not Viki pass restricted, and a lot of talk shows. (Recently, the subbers using gtranslation I found were mostly in chinese historical drama and talk show. Korean drama are like the premium drama, where newbies have a hard time to get accepted).

4 Likes

You’re probably right. But then, if you get accepted in the team of those shows, you’ll be stuck with an unterminable show (in the case of variety, literally unterminable) and you’ll have to stick there way after getting your QC, when you’re no longer interested in it at all. A torture!

2 Likes

One part has about 125 subtitles, so for 3.000 contributions you have to make at least 24 parts. If you’re lucky, you might get into two projects like this, because others want it too. Then you have two parts per week or maybe only two in two weeks. And, as Irmar already wrote, it quickly becomes boring.
I had bought a standard pass and was able to do many things quickly, yet realistically it took me at least some weeks to do 3,000 subtitles in the beginning. Therefore, I consider 3.000 contributions to be a reasonable hurdle.

4 Likes

Actually while cheking the “Perks”, I discovered something that I didn’t know. When you have 1,000 subs, you can get access to Viki original, so that’s also to consider.

And that’s why I mentionned historical chinese drama as well, since parts can go up to 200 subs and with around 6 episodes each week, you can have a decent amount of subs done. (And there are rarely many people in an historical team, so you can probably do like 2 parts in an episode, with gtranslation, that’s quite fast. So let’s just imagine if that person is in two or three dramas… 3,000 subs in no time)

3 Likes

Yass! Post-editing of a machine translation is time-consuming at the highest! Depending on the drama, an honest translator may take over an hour to translate a ten-minute part with accuracy. The post-editing can go as far as an entire day (assuming the proofreader/editor tries not to re-translate everything from scratch)!

9 Likes

My recommendation is to do what I always did when editing bad subtitles I DELETED the whole thing [(subtitle)], and started from a clean slate. The Logic? The person used a goglellator/bot suggestion (whatever) there is a mess there that can’t be fixed bc the whole thing is crap. On that note, let’s just give our expertise in the matter, and not deal with the aggravation of fixing something that was never fixable in the first place.

What happened to me was that when I tried to leave part of the [person’s/subber subtitle] I ended up messing the past tense and some other stuff, and that’s when I finally put my foot down and deleted everything. But Back then, I was so nice I would give the person via message the correct subtitle in ENGLISH so the sub would stay in the subber’s name although I did all the work. I would also advice them to take notes in a notebook to improve their writing in English. Most were ungrateful and would criticize me instead of thanking me. Talking about ungrateful people here. I stopped doing that after a while, and learned a lesson the hard way, that sometimes it doesn’t pay to be nice to certain ppl.

7 Likes

That would be ideal, but your average Moderator doesn’t have the permissions necessary to delete the translation for a whole episode in bulk. I think only a CM has that privilege?

4 Likes

I only know that CMs can delete a whole episode with subs in any language.
A Mod has no chance

2 Likes

This thread throws light on this discussion, and throws a wrench in it! :neutral_face:
Seems they got the green light :traffic_light::vertical_traffic_light:putting up a :stop_sign: sign, or light, we’ve got to go to the root!

1 Like

I believe she means replacing the entire segment with a new translation, not just fixing a part of it.

1 Like

We talking years back, and I was only editing the work of certain subbers; not the whole episode. I deleted a subtitle that was wrong the whole English subtitle (only), nothing else.

1 Like

@bozoli

You misunderstood what I wrote; it was about a subtitle. I deleted the subtitle done wrong. I was editing a subtitle not the whole episode. I read the sentence and I wrote thing but before that I emphasized editing bad subtiles so I’m guessing the s plural in subtitles; created all the confusion?

1 Like

@justine_desmoulins

I remembered something that could be crucial to what’s going on in here. I saw an article where they wrote that some people do get paid here, and someone who no longer is in ‘‘speaking’’ terms with me said; that they were getting paid ONE CENT/ ONE PENNY per segment. Back then, I asked myself who would work for a measly penny when it takes an hour just to sub a 10 minute section/episode? Little did I know the PRE-Subs were going to make it easy for some to be earning more pennies a day, and turning them into dollars maybe? THAT’S a Theory about why we have ppl here recruiting as subbers ppl that are making such bad subtitles with bad grammar and the likes. Although I believe many of those are really doing it to get the QC status to get to see the dramas for free (maybe they can’t afford to pay?)

Then, I see this Topic and I know you are working in a pre subbed drama https://www.viki.com/tv/37627c-river-where-the-moon-rises?q=whwere as the English and French moderator, you did a gorgeous page cover (thank you for your hard work). I don’t know why my comment that the drama was pre subbed got deleted though (I wrote that a while ago). The subs in the drama are aligned in time/era , and proper words are used in the drama, not modern words like flipping I saw in another drama. YOU and your team provided good quality in the drama and this site should keep ppl like you that is giving quality work and not low quality subtitles MAYBE to earn that ONE PENNY? DON’T forget is just a THEORY. .

I’ve been wanting to make sense of what’s going on in here lately. It’s the ONLY logical reason for having a person working in a drama that learned Spanish in College but can only give translation from Google translate or wherever he/she is using (giving very low quality subs). Oddly enough, this is happening more often in those long traditional Chinese dramas. I also see many of these 4 main people in the teams working in whatever comes their way whether is Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Shows, they grab everything and anything.

The pattern I saw in certain contribution page that they edited 3 out of the 10 subs that were badly translated. I’m guessing since they have to rush to their other many dramas they are working on; there is so much they can do. DON’T GET ME WRONG. It might not be to earn that one penny since the person who told me that, might have made that up bc I couldn’t find any other source or the article where it said some ppl do get paid here for subs (I saw that a year back or more?) I wished I had copied the article and saved it but I didn’t.

IN ALL HONESTY, if we don’t get to the source of why this is happening here now then, we will loose honest contributors like YOU and MANY OTHERS too that do their volunteer work at this RakutenViki site to provide the good quality subtitles that they are so proud of providing FOR FREE volunteer work with dedication and love for the site. This can be resolved before it affects the integrity of this site bc VOLUNTEER WORK deserves the same respect and dedication as any PAYING JOB. If the ulterior motive doesn’t include commitment from the volunteer then, they don’t deserve to be in a team to mess/damage what to me has been for a long time one of the best site for viewers from all over the world.

In my opinion the higher ups need to look into this and check how the quality of work is been affected by this new thing going on in here. I myself have seen badly segmented/subbed dramas and shows, and I was wondering why this was happening so much now, when we were doing so well in regards to quality of segments and subtitles IN ANY/EVERY LANGUAGE. I have seen comments in Portuguese and other language complaining that the sentence was translated wrong that they could have done a better job etc…

Please MR. CEO hope you can take a minute of your time and stop this before it affects quality and integrity kept for so many years at this site. THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION.

3 Likes

Actually, I was aware of the fact that Viki used Professional subtitlers to help out in some drama but only in english. I don’t know if that’s still the case though. But I wasn’t as informed as to know their rates. I think we already had this conversation on Viki, but they probably will never pay anything else than english professional. That would be too costly, and they don’t have that money to spend. (That’s also why they’re training a bot)

I don’t think those people are after money. I think of them young students not knowing how things works. (Who potentially could be attracted to Viki pass, but from me to you, I don’t think it’s that necessary to have a Viki pass and I’m not sure they’re after it). So What’s the interest in spending hours copy-pasting lines in Viki? I’m still wondering. Maybe they just want to be part of something, to have the feeling of being useful… Who knows.

Truthfully and I’m not trying to take Viki’s side, I think it’s probably hard to find out what’s right and what’s wrong. (They’re so many languages, they can’t simply speak each language, and who are they supposed to trust?) What would be best would be to have a representative on Viki for each language, (at least the most popular), who could double check and take action. But We’ve heard so many times how they have few manpower, and the higher-ups seem unlikely to recruit.

Still, I agree with you that they should take things in hands, a single newsletter reminding not to use translation softwares won’t be enough. But we (contributors) have no real power on that topic. Even when we report abusive behavior, nothing happen (or it rarely happens), so that’s kind of depressing.

5 Likes

There are agencies and websites like ProZ where you can find the right people to do this part. Other streaming services do that. It is not very different from what we see here. You have a Project Manager (Our CM), a Chief Editor (Moderator) who is responsible for gathering the team and distribute roles (translation only?/ Segmenter - that we call sync - / both?), a translator team, a proofreader team.

They could start with their original series. Maybe for 3 or 4 languages with more demand. Market research wouldn’t be that hard with the amount of data that already have.

3 Likes

I agree; start with the language that are more in demand here.

1 Like