Bad English grammar in Asian music

Sometimes you have those songs with English lines that make no sense at all and makes you wonder why NOBODY noticed the mistake before recording it?! But then again how should you correct something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX9iUxtU4NY

• Do you have (some) time?
  • Was there a time…
    -…

And there are countless of other songs…which do you like (because it’s cute) and which annoy you a lot?

4 Likes

You don’t correct it. You listen to Western music where English speaking singers butcher their own language, and then you realise that the Koreans are actually trying. I hope this will help you enjoy Kpop more. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I heard a lot of bad English in Finnish songs as well over the years. At some point you just sing along with the grammatically incorrect lines, hahaha. :wink:

Still in love with you, even you don’t belief it’s true (3:44)

That seems like the best option. It’s totally understandable though that they mess up articles, since they don’t have them in their own language (and neither do the Finns).

I agree about the poor English in some music. I read a book which said K pop was heavily influenced by Scandinavian pop and that sometimes Scandinavians are hired to write English OST. But I also agree that a lot of current American pop has poor English in it. There is a phenomenon called “reductionism” in which parts of a sentence, parts of speech, parts of phrases and even parts of words are left out in conversation. A good example is in Korean when wife sees husband and says “Meal?” And it implies “Have you eaten yet?” We see the same reductionism when English is used in Korean OST. I try my best to stick with the published lyrics, recognizing that the songwriter’s English is far better than my Korean is.

5 Likes

From the British perspective, I can safely say that we are used to seeing and hearing English language butchered every day :rofl:

But don’t worry, we are used to it :grinning:

3 Likes

Someone on Facebook posted this: You either correct people or you befriend them. :joy: :rofl: :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Lol, some friends would get angry at you for correcting them, yet others would get angry at you for not correcting them. :wink:

1 Like

For a short while I was a fan of Gareth Gates after he won pop idol and was active on his official discussion boards. And I had a hard time reading the English messages. Not because my English was bad but due all the slag and typos I didn’t get at that time. So I was like what the does she mean with “soz”, “cuz”, “wud” and more of those things. The messages from many native British people where like that. Eventually there was a discussion going on between who’s English was better typing wise. The natives where ‘offended’ we non natives had a hard time reading their slang. But the natives sometimes had a hard time understanding what a non native had to say…

4 Likes

Reminds me of an American guy I chatted with for a while at some point. He would use words like prolly, morro, deff, lots of abbreviations, replacing th’s with d’s, saying things in a compact but seemingly wrong way … I sometimes wondered whether it was slang, dialect or dyslexis, lol. But I managed to understand. :joy:

1 Like

Yes eventually I could read most of it just fine but the first few weeks orso it was one huge puzzle. Specially when they where just rambling about something so I also had no idea what it could mean in the context given.

2 Likes

And all those abbreviations going on on discussion boards! There was a time I had no clue what people meant when they were talking about their DD or their DH …

BTW, don’t go MIA! TIA! :rofl:

2 Likes

:anguished:Those were nightmare days from the T9 SMS texting days. Thank God for advancing technologies, we now have full on touch screen keyboards. No more pressing a button 3 times just to get one letter up, made worse when I over press the button, I swear it was probably quicker to get the Tip-Ex out when that happened!
Wi-Fi and 4G data speeds replacing the limits imposed by SMS text, which is why I get annoyed when “the kids these days” still send messages in three letter or less. Don’t send me Morse code, write me a novel, you have the technology!

3 Likes

I would probably give them a pass on the grammar if they’re trying to get certain words to rhyme and still convey a meaning in a line of lyrics, all within the confines of matching them to the music, but then I have zero musical talent or play an instrument so completely clueless how songwriting works.

1 Like

oh God, please don’t remind me of text speak :frowning_face: I used to absolutely hate it. I would even reply asking people to use proper English.

You see, I didn’t get a mobile phone until slightly later when there was still a limit of 160 characters per message but a phone would just use progressively more text messages in one go as you went further and further over that limit.

I always used to make a point of writing text messages in this close to proper english as possible even if it used more text messages. To be fair though most of my friends did the same. I think it was only the people that started texting when there was the hard 160 character limit in place, that used text speak because they got stuck in bad habits, even though the technology had moved on a little. Believe it or not, I still use SMS messages quite a bit today as it doesn’t cost me anything as my phone contract includes 5000 monthly text messages

But now of course we are lucky because we are in the time of whatsAapp and Google hangouts where no such limitations exist

2 Likes

TAKE ME ON by Salt 'n Pepper (“Encounter” OST)

The morning sun rise
It takes me away
As I am staring at
The light you hold
The feeling of adore
Oh take me on to you

I can’t hide anywhere
I followed to your dream
Is this what they have been calling love

And it just goes on
Oh take me on to you

You’re my flower and I’m your bee
You know you keep me alive
You’re my reasons for everything I do
The other half of me

Oh take me on
Down on river
I’ll go wherever it leads to you
Oh take me on
Into your arms
I’ll go wherever world you’re on

The morning sun rise
It takes me away
As I am staring at
Without anyone
The feeling of adore
Oh take me on to you

When the light of yours shines down so beautiful
I laugh, I sing, with you
Oh it’s like when stars fall around you
You take my heart away

Oh take me on
Down on river
I’ll go wherever it leads to you
Oh take me on
Into your arms
I’ll go wherever world you’re on

O. When “MYSTIC WORLD” (from “Where Stars Land”)

Someday in your life
Running in different ways
Can someone come and take me to my way

[NOTE: It’s not the grammar per se, it just doesn’t make sense]

All people in here
Walking in different ways
You know everyone needs someone to lean on

So lay down just for one night
So I will never lose you in my eyes
Will I know
Or see the way of life

[NOTE: again, what does this even mean?]

Every time I look at myself in the eyes
Sometimes when I see it I’m lost in my own eyes
Every time it feels like an ending for all
Maybe it our day to stop for a moment to smile
The life is too short to cry

Sunday you’re lost in maze
Monday you’re out the way
Will I ever gonna make it
No one knows

Feels like I’m on the edge
I don’t know where to go
So I’m taking chance in my life
When I fall
[NOTE: Eh? What?]

So lay down just for one night
So I will never lose you in my eyes
Will I know
Or see the way of life

And will I ever know what is going on
Even when I close my eyes
Will I ever see you
Mystic world

Will I ever gonna leave the maze
Will I ever find the key
Will I ever see you
Somewhere in the dark

Every time it feels like an ending for all
Maybe it our day to stop for a moment to smile

In both dramas I was both English editor (cgwm808 was CE) and Italian moderator.
I still remember our English team trying to guess the lyrics, especially “the feeling of adore” when the song wasn’t yet released. We all took wild guesses like “the feeling of a door” etc. It wasn’t helpful either that the singer slurred his words and didn’t pronounce clearly.
And I remember myself having to translate these lyrics in Italian.

2 Likes

I’m laughing so hard at that guess, it’s so romantic!

1 Like

Same! I gladly swallowed the cost per text back then just to get everything sent properly.

1 Like

This proofs I am far from up to date with Korean music these days
I read Salt N Pepa and was back in the late 80’s, early 90’s I think it was … I just thought, I don’t know this song, I know: Push it, Let’s talk about, …
Until I was ahhh, I forgot there is a bad named the same but different spelling.
Sometimes it is really challenging to translate the English translation of a song in a drama. Because they use fragments, metaphors and to transport this in ones own language is not always easy. You still want to let the words have rhythm, drive going along with the melody, transporting the feeling and last but not least translate it clearly.

2 Likes

I’m scandinavian (swedish) and I have never heard of this. So thanks for this fun fact :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe Super Junior once mentioned a lot of songs are from writers in Germany and that SM uses a lot of song writers from Europe. Even our Dutch song festival winner Duncan Laurence has co-written Closer by Changmin.

But one thing I always find odd is that although they use those song writers, they have it translated to Korean many times. Why not hire Korean song writers? It doesn’t happen all the time like this song for Junsu (which makes me laugh as it doesn’t fit Junsu at all in my opinion) but Bruce Automatic did write more songs for Junsu (and for Twice and a few others) and those where translated.

2 Likes