Badges: Who thought they were a good idea, and where do you go to earn some of them?

Hi @jeslynl
20210529_102917

Can you explain this?
I mean the conversations we have privately on discussions are having views can moderators I mean can staff see them ?
If it is between 2 ppl the view count should be 2 why is it 13 ?

2 Likes

Maybe because that’s the total number of times both of you have opened that message?

3 Likes

Then that should be less than that.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m saying. I was given the Regular status a few months ago for some reason, and then it went back down to Member a couple months later. I really don’t care what level I am at. It’s just strange that it kept changing. That’s all.

3 Likes

I think, not that I know, that it is kind of like the QC, if a certain amount of time is spent, you will get the higher level, if you don’t it will get taken away again, but what the parameters exactly are … I can’t even guess.

6 Likes

Well this happened to me once and Mariliam said this is only good for certain time, so if you don’t continue regularly visiting, replying and reading topics I believe it’s during 100 days cycle computation so you can loose your “Trust Level” in this case the “Regular”.

8 Likes

That link is informative, looking at that I don’t think I’ll ever get past Basic, I’m too choosy about the topics I visit, I doubt I get close to visiting 25% of new topics.

7 Likes

Trust Level 3 – Regular

Regulars are the backbone of your community, the most active readers and reliable contributors over a period of months, even years. Because they’re always around, they can be further trusted to help tidy up and organize the community.

To get to trust level 3, in the last 100 days…

• Must have visited at least 50% of days
  • Must have replied to at least 10 different non-PM topics
  • Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
  • Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
  • Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
  • Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
  • Must not have been suspended or silenced in the last 6 months

* These likes must be across a minimum number of different users (1/5 the number), across a minimum number of different days (1/4 the number). Likes cannot be from PMs.

All of the above criteria must be true to achieve trust level 3. Furthermore, unlike other trust levels, you can lose trust level 3 status . If you dip below these requirements in the last 100 days, you will be demoted back to Member. However, in order to avoid constant promotion/demotion situations, there is a 2-week grace period immediately after gaining Trust Level 3 during which you will not be demoted.

Some of us are doomed never to reach Regular status. I tend to interact in spurts, other times I just read a few post but not add to the topic. If only they had a Regular stalker badge…

11 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Just because of one #%%$##@#@!!! drama queen user.

Anyway… Since you decided that, tell someone to correct the description of Regular as well so that it doesn’t include features that are no longer there.
image_2021-05-29_141924

7 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: You are too funny :heavy_heart_exclamation::wink::+1:t5:

4 Likes

irmar,

Ah, yes, bitter laughter. What intelligent and conscientious person has not laughed in that way?

When I worked in the Parking Bureau for the City of Rochester, NY, I spent a lot of time bitterly laughing about a suggestion I kept making over and over for three years.

We used a carbonless three-part form that had one white page, one yellow page, and one pink page. Under certain circumstances, customers needed to come in and get a copy of the form to prove to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles that they had no outstanding parking tickets.

I was one of the clerks who checked to make sure a customer who needed the form had no outstanding parking tickets. I would then use a twenty-five year old Selectric brand typewriter to enter certain information on that form. I would then take it to another office within the Parking Bureau.

A clerk in that office would give the waiting customer the white and pink pages of the form. (The white page was for the Department of Motor Vehicles, and the yellow page was for the customer.) The pink page went into a file.

Everybody in the office HATED the three-part form and the typewriter because it made a complicated procedure more complicated and wasted so much time. I called the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles and found out that, as long as we had a form that contained all the same text and looked like the 3-part form in shape and size, we could use a computerized version.

I told this to my supervisor, a nice woman, who said I would have to check with the cash office supervisor, who said that I would have to get it approved by his supervisor . . . who was a very nice, reasonable woman, but she was never in the office when I was.

Because I am dyslexic and have never typed on a typewriter more than 40 words per minute on a good day, dealing with “the form” meant that I always got the most dog poop dumped on me. So, I kept reminding people that things could be done more efficiently, but at the time I left that dysfunctional office, the form was still an unresolved issue.

My perspective on these things comes from the fact that I started college as a painting and print-making major, changed to English lit, suffered through English lit in grad school (because of some really mysoginistic professors), and had that perspective was still alive and kicking when I finally got a “real job” after graduation.

Virtual communication is of course technically more complicated than real-time communication, but it does not have to be rocket science, especially if the supposed view of Viki money-makers is that they want to make the community a “happy and safe place for users and subscribers.”

The subbers need to adopt me as their honorary helmoi/nainai/obachan. I am pretty sure I can give some suggestions about how to politely, deferentially, thoroughly (and virtually) slam a few people on the shoulder until their arms fall off and lie quivering like fresh blood sausages.

If I include my tenure as a City of Rochester NY worker bee, I probably have 35 years’ experience in graphic design, writing, editing, proofreading, and troublemaking.

Currently I am the assistant to the head of THIS group that has been making its mark since the start of this year in my city, especially regarding AAPI violence. I’m doing his speeches, designing brochures and fliers, sending emails to people.

I like to think my spirit animal is a Rottweiler. Tough as a pitt bull terrier, but deceptively mild-mannered . . . until someone does something stupid.

(YouTube)
4 Likes

I’d win that one!!! Discussion Stalker

2 Likes

How about . . . a “Dear Stalker” badge? A play on the word “deerstalker,” the type of hat Sherlock Holmes wore when he and Dr. Watson were out in the field.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deerstalker)

7 Likes

I am very proud of this badge! I got it all of a sudden and only 2 users a month get it! And heck if I know why I got it and why I get most of the ones I get - It popped up several months ago
hahahahahahaahahahaha!

Oh and my Aficionado badge - Means I was on Discussion 100 consecutive days - is that bad or good

And “Nice Share” I got for my Vincenzo Thread because 25 outside users saw it :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

So . . . what specific individual, if any, decided that this is how people become “Regulars?” Is this Viki dog poop given and conferred at someone’s whim, or is this Discourse dog poop that is somehow automatically given and taken away? Or is it a combo of both?

If “trust status” conferral and revocation is at the whim of a specific Viki individual, what is that individual’s name, and how does one contact that individual?

I have so many questions.

(Giphy)

3 Likes

@lutra, @simi11 @ninjas_with_onions
Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for the info. I actually can’t believe I even reached the Regular level briefly. I doubt I’ll ever reach it again! lol

4 Likes

You contribute a lot that is positive and educational, so you should be proud.

8 Likes

These are settings defined by Discourse. As Viki use their platform I guess it just ends up like that by default.

2 Likes

(gify)

You guys are my people! I am so new to drama whether it be kdrama, jdrama, tdrama or cdrama and everyone is so fun to talk with and so diverse! BRAVO to you guys!

You guys get my “friends in the computer” badge!!! hahahahahaha!

8 Likes