Beware of every online link

Hello,

I’m writing to warn everyone because I was dealing with some issues here (another account that was being closed) and, besides receiveing mixed contradictory feedbacks, the last one was for rating the service given to me and when I clicked to rate it as good, it opened a page telling it was checking the security/quality of my internet, then opened a Rakuten - Viki page but a very strange one.

I talked with my IT colleagues and it was virus indeed.

I know people who doesn’t read/know about tech believe I’m crazy but I do not care: beware of what you receive and do not open any link even from Viki. I’m not saying this site is delivering spyware or anything on purpuse but is not unvulnerable as any other isn’t.

Just be careful, guys.

Best regards.

5 Likes

Thanks for this warning.

@vikicommunity , @brendas, @giant_sean , @amm11, @arbrv, @staff,

Is this something current?

2 Likes

@graffitichaser

I went through that ugly experience a while back, and learned my lesson the hard way. Thanks for making everyone aware the issue has come back here ar RViki. I saw in the news just yesterday about not clicking on links, but to call the number provided in the message (if they provide one). They added if no phone number is provided is a red flag warning. My youngest daughter received a message that a charge was done to her card and I told her not to dare to click on that link, and lucky I did bc it she was informed it was a fake link after (she decided to called the bank first). Now Banks are not refunding money bc they claim ppl are responsible not the bank if they choose to click on the links.

4 Likes

As much as I sympathize with you and am glad you posted the issue, we have to be clear here.

Viki as a site has nothing to do with spyware, malware, viruses or any other malicious attempt.

Any person can impersonate any site on the internet, including Viki.

It is up to the users to be aware of such threats.

Some quick advice on how to recognize threats is to take a look at the header of the email and check out the exact email address of the sender.

For example, the name of the sender may be Viki, but the address could be: thxc@unreal.com

Also good idea is to take a look of the quality of language used: grammar, punctuation and spelling.

Finally, users should look at the quality and spelling of icons and graphics within.

There’s more clues one can follow to protect themselves. Because in these cases of misrepresentation the protection relies only on ourselves.

11 Likes

Deleted my answers because they were too personal.

Many blessings for you.

Even though this was not Viki’s fault (I never said it was), nor mine, because I always take good protection measures, if NASA and The Pentagon were visited by a hacker (each) in the past and we all hear in the news the ever growing attacks to companies and people, we can never be less than extremely careful.

There are high and excellent quality replicas and anyone can fall in a trap. Do not forget we are in the 21st century where science and tech grew at such extent that almost everything is possible.

Nothing to fear, just face facts as they are and deal with them.

2 Likes

@graffitichaser

YOU Did a great thing by warning whomever reads your article about this issue going on in here; that happened to me in the past here at Rviki (I got a 100 dollar charged that took a while to get resolved). NO ONE here blamed @Rviki since even a first grader knows this is something going on all over the world. You hear it in the news on a daily basis ‘‘not to click on links’’, but yet some links look so legit, we might fall in the trap (I did and my daughter almost did too) although she always warn me about links send to my e-mail (I always check with her). THANKS for you thoughtfulness in sharing this information with us here at DISCUSSION.

2 Likes