🌈 BL & GL dramas do more than just entertain

It’s a different topic. Sure, it’s both related to BLs, but other than that, they’re not the same.

6 Likes

Few years ago, I watched the film Pride

with my children
I did it in purpose but one of their questions surprised me. It’s about AIDS : they asked me why the didn’t use condoms. It was hard for them to understand that at the time of the film nothing was known about AIDS.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen this film. It looks interesting. I clearly remember the early 1980s when AIDS first came into the world. It was very scary. Interestingly, it’s a zoonotic like COVID. At the time, they anticipated that it would take 30 years to develop a vaccine for AIDS. So far they haven’t been successful but at least it can be controlled today so that people live long and well.

It’s fantastic that your children are comfortable talking with you about AIDS/HIV and condoms. A lot of parents find those topics uncomfortable. It seems to me that you’ve already opened important doorways of conversation with your sons and daughters. These doorways will be a tremendous asset for both you and them in years to come.

2 Likes

Ha ha. This brought back memories! Me and the kids sitting at the kitchen table with cucumbers and different kinds of condoms. They still cringe when they remember that educational session. However, I hope it was useful to them later on.

2 Likes

I’m not comfortable with these topics. We don’t talk about it much. Movies are a good way to open my children to the world.
My mother did the same with me. We saw at the theater:
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
High heels

1 Like

Hi Irmar :slight_smile:

I :heart: this comment. When I read it I had this image in my head of a packet of condoms, a few cucumbers, a mum and some sons and daughters. It was the highlight of my day! I have no doubt whatsoever that your children would have benefited greatly from this. I’m pretty sure they’ll take the lesson to their own children as well. Good on you for being upfront and tackling such a difficult topic. In this day and age of HIV and other STDs, condoms are still the best protection and, as they say, “forewarned is forearmed.”

Thanks for sharing your story,
Mn

3 Likes

Hi Anne,

Personally, I don’t think that it’s necessary to feel comfortable. They’re incredibly embarrassing topics and can be quite confronting to talk to children about. Showing acceptance of gender diversity (through actions) and being prepared to listen when needed are the two most valuable traits a parent can have, I reckon.

I’ve noticed recently that in a couple of BL shows, sexual health has been included in the story-line. This is a good thing.

One such show is “My Gear And Your Gown” from Thailand. I’d rate the show as suitable for 15+ years of age. It covers coming-out, parental acceptance, bisexual relationships, gay relationships, heterosexual relationships, friendship, romance, gender diversity and sexual health. It’s quite a charming series without being overly dramatic.

If you want to get some ideas on how to address any of the above topics just in case the need ever arises with your own children, this show is valuable viewing.

Regards,
Mn

3 Likes