Bring back the light mode!

Really? That’s odd. I did change a little thing on my profile last night and it worked, but it wasn’t related to the background, I’ll try it now.

… Got kicked out. :expressionless:

It must be a bug, I don’t want to believe Viki is preventing us from changing the background on purpose.

1 Like

Is there a fix to the color mode or are we stuck with dark/black mode?

1 Like

Read more here:

https://discussions.viki.com/t/viki-community-team-june-2020-updates-site-updates-qc-gift-2019-updates-and-more/30119

@deval_chloe @sheli — thanks for letting us know about this! The team has fixed this issue, and you should now be able to save profile updates without being logged out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @lutra, thanks for tagging me in your post. We haven’t deployed any changes to profile pages. Codes should still work as long as they are formatted correctly. :slight_smile: I might have missed something in this thread — if you are running into problems with codes in your profile page, you can let us know and we’ll have a look.

2 Likes

OK problem: since this week I can’t find light white background option no more. is it deleted? Anyone tell me please because before I could chose if I want black or white background on viki. anyone tell me cause I didn’t found where to set up the background

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s just me, but i had my messaging inbox on dark mode until about last week when it changed to white and there’s no setting to change it to dark mode again!

4 Likes

same!! i was so confused

3 Likes

Me too! We had just got the news that we would only have dark mode and then suddenly the mailbox turned to white!

2 Likes

Viki have impossed the dar mode.There are lots of us who find it stressful and tired. Where is the problem in having both options to work? This link is to ask viki at least for the optional click or to keep the light mode.

Please, sign this petition and send it to allthe volunteers and viewers who have a viki account.

3 Likes

this is so funny everyone is complaining about dark mode and we’re sitting and whining about light mode…:joy::joy:
Viki better get it’s head on straight!

3 Likes

Some people are probably going to disapprove of me saying this, but I actually approve of the change to dark mode only. The reason being is that modern displays are so bright that having a light background setup often means that your screen feels as if it’s burning your retinas out. This is not only true of PC screens but also phones and tablets these days.

Dark mode helps to reduce eye strain and is probably also helpful for those with eyesight problems as well, as it puts the website close to a high contrast type of setup.

I actually wish there was a dark mode for Viki discussions. Oh dear. I’ve said it. Now I’m in trouble :rofl: (knowing my luck. This is when somebody replies and says there is one and I just haven’t figured out how to enable it) , it’s possible that dark mode may be causing issues with some older displays. I suppose

By all means put light mode back so that people have the choice but it makes sense for dark mode to remain the default

1 Like

Hey there! I sent the petition to the help center a few weeks ago and they replied me this:

[SCREENSHOTS REDACTED]

They still don’t tell me anything else, so I guess they won’t bring back the light mode :frowning:
We can only try to send them more messages individually, but I guess is true that viki doesn’t care about its volunteers

1 Like

Yeah, me too. And the inbox turning to light wasn’t an improvement for me either. :frowning:
But indeed, choice would be the best option.

Nope. At least not for me. I have very poor eyesight, and everything is too small and blurry without glasses. But if I am under direct sunlight or a very very good strong lamp, then I can read even tiny things without a problem.
On the contrary, lack of light makes everything worse. For instance, when driving, in the evening my eyesight drops at about 60% of what it is during daytime - and my eye doctor confirmed this, he said this is the normal thing to happen.
Therefore, for me, the brighter the better. I have my computer screen on the brightest possible, otherwise I strain trying to see.
I understand that some people prefer dark, but why not have the choice, so that everyone can have what they need?

4 Likes

The organizing for teams as moderator (messages, adding new team members etc.) in black mode is a nightmare I hate it so much… why is still only the black mode available?

2 Likes

For me it’s the opposite. I may sound like a vampire here, but nowadays bright days are horrible to me.

So, I think it’s pretty clear that one person’s best option is another one’s worst and we should just be able to choose what works for us.

5 Likes

I certainly agree that people should have the choice of which mode they want to use @irmar

For me light mode wasn’t so bad on phone and tablets , but was too much on a computer screen due to how bright screens are these days.

1 Like

HI @nxyhttp, thank you for sharing an update with everyone regarding Dark Mode!

I have edited your post to remove the screenshots as they may have contained extra details that we share over private correspondences only (because of the trust we have in our community). :slight_smile: As always, we discourage publicly disclosing messages from Viki staff. We hope for your understanding in this!

Lastly, to everyone: I want to reassure you that we do care. It might appear that we are not doing anything for the community as yet. We are, however, working really hard daily behind the scenes to advocate for you, our community that we cherish so much. This includes fighting for resources to fix long-standing issues within the community, along with reviewing each and every feedback that has been shared with us.

I shared this in another thread too — some things can’t be moved as fast because they involve digging into the foundations (which can tricky, complex and time-consuming) and we want to be careful around these so we do not disrupt your current experience.

I hope this helps shed some light on the current status of things. Every Viki staff working on the Community are as passionate as you are, and your confidence and trust would mean a lot to us! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Oops!
Light mode definitely looked better :slight_smile:

https://blog.viki.com/introducing-a-new-user-profile-experience-7444ea2a5cd5

1 Like