BRING BACK THE OLD, COMFORTING DRAMA CHARM! šŸ˜ Give Us Positive Feel Good Dramas!

@charlott_408
Sorry, you lost me with The Undateablesā€¦

I second that. The biggest flop in K drama history. Iā€™m so angry they took those roles since they are great actor/actress, but the characters and the story was so horrible; even they couldnā€™t salvage that nightmare of a story.

Iā€™ve been watching a lot of oldies k dramas as far as 1996/ 2010, and I can truthfully say they are the best to watch. Itā€™s amazing how much the actors/actress have aged. Some of them, I canā€™t even recognize them until I do a research search on their name.

2 Likes

I agree completely. Slim pickings these days. Iā€™m re-watching quite a few. Right now Iā€™m just starting Hotel King again. Last saw it in 2015 and I love seeing the faces of our ā€˜oldies but goodiesā€™ on the screen. Lee Dong Wook is the same for so many of his characters, but it works!

2 Likes

@charlott_408
. Lee Dong Wook is the same for so many of his characters,

Iā€™m glad it works for you but thatā€™s the main reason I donā€™t watch any dramas heā€™s in anymore. I canā€™t stand when an actor stays stuck in one same character (face), when they have demonstrated they can play any roles they set their mind to play. These actors have the option to turn roles away until they give them a different character to play, and is not like he has no choice to turn them down because heā€™s not that popular since he has a lot of fans (with the same complain) no character/role change in him.

Sadly, there are several actors who fall into that monotony of same role (face) playing, and that is why with time they lose the popularity they had at the beginning. The actor NamKoong Min, in [AWAKEN] is now leader of a special task force, but there we go again with his long face, and we have to wait for the never ending still long scenes concentrated only on his (face) ā€˜ā€˜weird tough look?ā€™ā€™ which I had more than enough by now, so I put the drama on hold. I might even drop it too, if I donā€™t see a character change in him. JI Chang Wook (this is the biggest lost!) he can act different characters, and do great stunts, but stays on those dumb cute guy roles, and itā€™s so frustrating to see such a waste of a great actor/talent in mediocre roles. I wish I could go inside his mind, and find out what causes him not to be giving his full potential as an actor, and why he accepts roles that are beneath him.

2 Likes

I noticed recently that he tried to change that. Now he plays different characters. For example:

In this drama too, I find him different:

4 Likes

So I will 2nd @mas4
Wookie has done some different roles - Although I HATE Lovestruck!
If you Wish Upon Me is a LOVELY Role
and if you Watch Empress KI - (Wookie is BRILLIANT)
K2 is awesome yes
however - Wookie was injured I believe during filming of one of his action scenes
he was also in a car wreck a few years ago
He can NO LONGER do action - he cannot do the stunts - for his health and body

Wookie is one of my all time favorite actors @sweetybirdtoo and I defend him to the death even if we are watch partying one of his shows!!!

No disrespect - I just think he is loveable and awesome! And Empress Ki really does show off his acting skills - without having to look at his stunts.

PS - I love Suspicious Partner and his comedy! He really is quite the comedian

2 Likes

I actually never finished it -
There are a FEW in my watch list I have not finished
just didnā€™t grab me enough!

2 Likes

We certainly do. Ji Chang Wook doesnā€™t only play cute characters, His role in If You Wish Upon Me was far from superficial, the sadness in him was palpable. His upcoming projects donā€™t sound like theyā€™ll be cute either, especially The Worst Evil, itā€™s a crime drama. I havenā€™t watched his 2021 movie Hard Hit, but in the pictures he was anything but cute.

Donā€™t Mess With Wookie, this is a hill @kdrama2020ali and I will die on. :grin:

3 Likes

@sweetybirdtoo
Donā€™t Mess With Wookie, this is a hill @kdrama2020ali and I will die on

It seems in here you have no right to have an opinion about an actor, and as a admirer myself of the actor, I just stated that I would love to see him in roles that maybe the STUNT people can do the stunt scenes for him. If anyone havenā€™t notice JCW is an amazing actor who is playing mediocre roles with most of the time the wrong FL. The best example; BACKSTREET ROOKIE (the worse Iā€™ve seen). [SUSPICIOUS PARTNER] I also didnā€™t like SUSPICIOUS PARTNER bc he had a VERY strong role, and the FL took so much from it that in the end I just gave up watching (the FL took over the drama imo).

In K2 he was wonderful and in Empress Ki #1 award winning, and he was outstanding in WISH UPON ME. The others some I havenā€™t seen, but I did started THE SOUND OF MAGIC and found it to be another one of his worse role he has played, and the FL didnā€™t help much either. The writers took something that was more for an Off Broadway show and pretended to make it a k-drama.

I donā€™t know what age you both are or what age you may feel inside, but I donā€™t look at the actorā€™s pretty face and romantic fake kisses and lines (Iā€™m too old for that), but at the GREAT potential they have in acting, and how much they deserve better roles and story lines. I said the same thing about other actors, and feel that itā€™s so unfair how Agents, Directors etcā€¦ just bc this one young man has such a handsome face, he can play any role no matter how bad they are, and his fans will watch them.

As a matter of fact, we have a rating system in certain sites, and in a few JCW dramas he got a 3 stars or thumbs down. I know the reason is because like I do they feel the role was mainly not for him. WHY? because this young man is not only a PRETTY FACE he is a great ACTOR and his potential can reach the stars. But after so many years now of watching his career development; Iā€™ve seen so little advancement. Much less, after so many years, if anything, his roles have gone from bad to worse. But thatā€™s my personal opinion which I have the right to express like I did for the other actors too which I feel are stuck and not giving their full potential either.

They need to drop their AGENTS and move on to better pastures thatā€™s all I was saying.

3 Likes

@charlott_408

I LOVED when he played the Baseball Player role, and I LOVED HOTEL KING with his stone face look and all. The story line went great with his face in that role, and I liked the FL chosen for the role, too. Besides, it had LEE DEOK HWA which is the best evil actor in dramas, and I enjoy his BAD BOY roles because he can really play evil roles as good as a GOOD father, husband etcā€¦roles.

If anything, I wonder if fans can accept LEE DONG WOOK, w/o his stone face look in K-dramas or movies. He does have a beautiful smile and an infectious laugh that blows away his stone look that can melt anyoneā€™s heart.

2 Likes

You can have an opinion, but Iā€™m going to defend him. :woman_shrugging:

I agree that Backstreet Rookie, and Lovestruck in the City were a waste of his talent, but to suggest that he only plays dumb cute guys when his character in If You Wish Upon Me had great depth, and his upcoming drama The Worst Evil, looks like itā€™s going to be gritty and raw, itā€™s just not true.

Anyway, I hope you have a lovely day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@sweetybirdtoo

My opinion was based on what I have watched so far, and he mainly does cute, dumboy roles lately, and you just proved my point when you agree with me that he will do an outstanding job in THE WORST EVIL just like he did in HEALER and now recently in You wish upon me. If you analyze these well, you have to agree with me that his best dramas are strong roles/image in his character with romance involved but not the main point of the story. This is when we viewers see his full potential as an actor, and not just as a pretty face actor (no matter how bad the story develops).

Hope I didnā€™t offend you in any way bc that wasnā€™t the purpose I was writing these things about. I was also defending him since heā€™s one of my MOST favorite male actor.

1 Like

Likewise, but no worries there, Iā€™m not easy to offend.

2 Likes

I gave The Sound of Magic a try as it seemed to fall in my preferred fantasy/supernatural or Science-Fictionā€™ey genre of dramas. Well you could have knocked me over with a feather when they started to do musical numbers in the show, the drama was also a musical! (a K-drama first for me) Giving it itā€™s own drama charm.

Being male nor wanting to bear his children, I have no idea who this ā€œWookieā€ is from that of Chewbacca (I just looked him up here on Viki and apparently I watched all of Melting Me Softly with him as ML in that! :man_shrugging:)
Where was I going with this? Oh yes, I thought the Wookie that you all speak of did an amazing job of portraying the magician, giving the character the flamboyance of a stage performer, slightly eccentric, charismatic, mysterious and quietly confident because he really had mystical powers in dealing with everyday struggles in life.
High praise indeed from someone with no desire to die on hills. :skull::stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I went into Sound of Magic knowing there was a musical number or two, but I was still surprised by how they incorporated them. It was definitely something new and different for me in regard to Kdramas, but that was what intrigued me. His character was so mysterious. I also liked the fact that it didnā€™t have a romantic element, so the pairing with the FL took on a different dynamic.

5 Likes

I donā€™t get offended and wasnā€™t trying to offend - we all have opinions and YES some of his recent roles are not my fav - BACKSTREET and LOVESTRUCK. But he is a brilliant ACTOR, SINGER, STAGE ACTOR - He also does his own blog - which I love.
We donā€™t get to see ALL his work because sometimes he is in theater.

Somehow we got off TOPIC from the Comforting DRAMAS - Hopefully we can pull it back to that and see what COMFORTING DRAMAS we can add.

I have not been around in a while! Just lurking really! Iā€™m not on VIKI much anymore

2 Likes

So back on topic, Comfort Dramas. I donā€™t know why Murphyā€™s Law of Love brings me joy, really it shouldnā€™t, from the ex-girlfriend to the cold, harsh ML it probably shouldnā€™t, but it does.

3 Likes

my_happy_place
His character was so mysterious. I also liked the fact that it didnā€™t have a romantic element, so the pairing with the FL took on a different dynamic.

I know is a bit off topic IN A WAY, but Sound Of Magic with JCW could have been a wonderful comforting drama with HIS charmm if they had not ridiculously added a sexual deviant and killer in the ā€˜ā€˜pictureā€™ā€™

I had not seen the whole thing bc when I saw him singing, and the young girl too; I said this is not for me. The WRITER must have issues bc who makes such a crazy mix of stories ā€˜ā€˜combined in one?ā€™ā€™ I gave it thumbs down bc even the ending left me completely disappointed. WHAT A DISASTER!

I noticed that ever since there were rumors that heā€™s in a romantic relationship the love stories and kissing scenes are none whatsoever, rare or very poor. Ignorant mentality since an actor needs to be actor 100% of the time; whether married, single, gay, straight, bi- etcā€¦etc. AN ACTOR NEEDS TO PLAY THEIR ROLE at 100%. Those kisses are as fake as they can be so these roles should not conflict with their personal life.

Anyway, the girl playing the female main role, I hope she improves with time bc she didnā€™t help much either. What a Fiasco. Thank goodness it was only 6 episodes (which I skim through it). I donā€™t understand why he takes roles that anyone with common sense would see as a disaster.

I would have loved to see the episodes as more of a musical drama, and not such drastic tragic event involved, but gear towards helping the young kids deal through their emotions with magic and music. Too much in a plate takes the hunger away (at least to me; it does).

1 Like