Chinese Periodical Dramas to recommend?

Anyone have suggestions for Chinese periodical dramas (either wuxia and/or historical) that Viki either already has or we can recommend for Viki to have?

They are a largely neglected part of dramas that are watched. :frowning:

1 Like

Heya Music,
Viki has this: The Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 2003
Sadly, as usual, itā€™s not subbed completely yetā€¦

1 Like

Hello,
http://www.viki.com/tv/3166c-a-terracotta-warrior Completely subbed.

2 Likes

@auroratasya Yeahā€¦ Iā€™ve actually seen that one before, since I was, and kind of still am, a huge fan of Alec Su. So gee, I wonder whyā€¦ itā€™s on my favorites :wink: Sadly, sadlyā€¦ itā€™s not subbed. Another one that has whetted my appetite to join as a subber soon.

@kobolt Yup yupā€¦ I had volunteered to help you on the drama. Iā€™m sorry it didnā€™t work out. (pssstt @auroratasyaā€¦ see how bad I am??)

Any other ones youā€™re interested?? Iā€™m a huge fan of Liu Shi Shi and really liked this oneā€¦ http://www.viki.com/tv/1481c-strange-hero-yi-zhi-mei-completed?q=yi
but I just wish it could be licensed and more Chinese periodicals can be licensed.

Also, Song of the Desert looks so interesting, but itā€™s still not licensed. Not that licensing matters to fans like me, but licensed shows definitely give it a wider audience, I think.

You just need to be nagged here and there, Music. LOL

Hey, if you can help a bit on subbing that heaven sword, maybe?
I segged 15K segments for that drama when I just started volunteering myself as a segmenter on viki hahahaha

1 Like

LOL!! I do!! I need to be nagged tons!! :smiley:

Sure!! Althoughā€¦ I think you already know how Iā€™m eager to agree to anything and eventually, it gets done, just with tons and tons of naggingā€¦ and after lots of waiting too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you interested in watching it?? Itā€™s a famous wuxia story in Chinese literature, and that story has been remade heavens know how many timesā€¦ If youā€™re interested, Iā€™ll poke you when I get around to subbing it, howā€™s that?

1 Like

Of course Iā€™m interested to watch it!
I watched all 3 dramas of that Trilogy, the 80ā€™s version ones. Felix Wong, Andy Lau, Tony Leung.
Thanks to my Father who looooooveeesss kungfu, I got to watch kungfu series since I was little!
The Condor Trilogy was the first kungfu series I watched.
And then we watched The New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung (Michael Miu).
And thenā€¦ hmmm I forgot what after that.
Oh yes, Chronicles of the Shadow Swordsman (Damian Lau). I love this one, I thought it was cool when both female and male leads fought together side by side :smiley:

1 Like

Oh goodnessā€¦ Those were the good times!!! :slight_smile:

Yes, yes!! They are all amazing dramas and veterans in the Asian entertainment industry!! These childhood dramas are too many to count. Oh so nostalgic!!

1 Like

Yes, they are all amazing! If only we could watch it on Viki hahahaha
I would happily seg the series if they ever bring it here.

I canā€™t help it. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RljE02fcLDc

1 Like

You have no idea how big of a smile you put on my face. Flying through the sky, white haired old men, swords against teeth, and clinging onto vines. Ahhhā€¦

They looked cool, ay? Thatā€™s why I love this series. It took me a while to remember the title, as all I remember was the couple fought with their swords side by side, compliment each other with their sword skills. I had to google and search on youtube that time :smiley: Ha ha haā€¦
When I was back in my home country last year, I bought its DVD series - copy ones, as they donā€™t sell the original anymore :frowning:I even tried www.yesasia.com they said they donā€™t even know when the series will ever be on the market anymore.

Do we have Huan Ju Ge Ge, (Not sure if I spelled it correctly) Returning Pearl Princess, the first and second one? That was my favorite childhood drama. And Romance in the Rain tooā€¦ Zhao Wei is an amazing actress.

1 Like

Iā€™ve filled the request form for many period dramas. It is a shame to see that there arenā€™t many licensed chinese period dramas on Viki. (Iā€™d especially like dramas with a female protagonist and harem politics.) I donā€™t want to start watching any in-progress drama on fan channels, since they might disappear any time due to copyright issues. (Iā€™ve had this happen to a drama I followed too many times now.)

If Viki gets any licenses Iā€™d be happy to help in segmenting. I so want to be able to watch more chinese period drama! (And understand what they are saying! lol)

Edit: And I do think there would be an audience for drama like this as long as it is 100% sure the vids wont just disappear some day and the video and sub quality is good enough (Fan channels have sometimes really bad quality video). Also I think that being able to watch series through Smart TV or App will get more views certainly.

1 Like

Oh yeah, good completely subbed (but not always edited) drama on Viki fan channels:

Legend of Zhen Huan
http://www.viki.com/tv/7160c-the-legend-of-zhen-huancompleted

(Basically Iā€™ve liked almost any ā€œThe legend of [insert name of Queen/concubine/female]ā€ :smiley: )

1 Like

I recommend the drama Back In Time 匆匆那幓
First time I heard it was from the upcoming movie with the same title.
After I found out that it is adapted from the novel with the same title
I read the novel after and really like it very much.
And I search and found this web drama for the novel.

1 Like

I soooo want those dramas to be licensed by Viki!! They were my childhood memories. Sighs!

I think youā€™re absolutely right. I think once Viki has started licensing dramas, we tend to rely on them more. Itā€™s always hard to find something good, get hooked on it, only for it to be deleted. Unfortunately, I also find the quality on licensed channels to be better because the teams work more confidently in licensed dramas because they know their work wonā€™t be deleted and gone to wasteā€¦ Sad!! TT_TT

It was my childhood too! Along with Meteor Garden and Journey to the West! I hope VIKI can get these licensed too!

1 Like

Ohhh manā€¦ Yes!!! Viki needs a revival of the old classics and memorable dramas, even if just for us people to reminisce about. ^^

1 Like