Cover Page - Help

You click on the picture icon and then you have two choices: either give an URL of a picture on an image-hosting site, or upload a picture from your computer to Viki’s server. But be careful: if you upload a picture, it shouldn’t be larger than 400k.

What do you mean by “coverpage format”? Is there such a thing? The format should be .jpg or .png or .gif. You know, the usual.

2 Likes

Hi. irmar, Thank you very much for your help. Now I managed to add it. Thank you!!! :wink:

1 Like

With the way the channels are now I’m lost in how to. Anyone with a little time ans patience to help a poor volunteer that has no idea how to manage the new cover for viki channel?
#help

1 Like

Hi! hope you are well, I wonder if you are talking about a project cover or your profile?

I have made two covers and I will make others for the projects I am moderating, but my brother is the one who tells me how to put them in the channel manager since they are with computer codes and stuff that I don’t know.

If you need help with that, I’ll be glad to help!

2 Likes

Since the new viki thing with the cover pages, I started doing the sections separately, or else if I do it as a full page, it looks extra weird. I can help you if you want, or share the html code I use.

1 Like

I’m only a former viki volunteer who firmly believes that family comes first and that Viki is a family for all of us who love this community as I do.

That’s why I’m reaching out to help each and everyone who read this and might need a piece of advice. Of course, according to my humble knowledge and skills because I’m far from being a pro.

I’m apologizing in advance for making this fast. I do not have the time to ask a friend to be a temporary cover page designer and make a proper tutorial. My personal life really doest not allow me to do more than this.

Here are my tips:

1. Background for the whole page: it’s essential to make a div to wrap everything inside it - <div>: The Content Division element - HTML: HyperText Markup Language | MDN

Do not forget the closing tag for div, must be the last thing on the cover.

You can use already made code for amazing custumizable backgrounds on https://www.gradientmagic.com/ - we need to credit the site.

Note: not all of them are accepted by viki’s editor.

1. For the body: create another div inside the previous div (you can do as much as you want). Eg. one for the title, anothe for the main pic and so on.

2. What if a div/elements gets too apart from where we want it? Apply negative values to margin-top. Eg.

3. The code for making an image centered on our cover must always be done inside a p - paragraph as in the previous example.

4. We do always style an element on the opening tag. WebD2: Common HTML Tags

5. To use any big image (in size KB) you need to host it. I used my wordpress.com site, you can serach on Google: free image hosting and choose the option you prefer.
    Again, the previous code I’ve shown has the link with the hosted image inside the img tag.

6. Regarding the maximun width of the cover page, it was incredible variable, so I used 862px max.

7. Beware of color combinations.
    Here you have free color palletes https://coolors.co/ allowing us to make perfect combinations.

It would be great if you chek out on Google about color psychology and how to use color according to what advertisers want to transmit.

1. For free images you can use pixabay.com and if you don’t mind to pay a (they say) lifetime susbcription, you could buy one at pngtree.com. I bought mine in 2017 and is still working well ^^

2. For image editing and vector drawing I prefer going simpler and great quality, so Affinity – Professional Creative Software is a great invesment. I’ve upgraded and bought the newer version and it’s great for my needs. There are plenty interesting tutorials on YouTube.

I do hope this can help each and everyone of you and, again, I apologize for not being able to explain more.

Greetings to all!

8 Likes

Thank you, Catalina. Is for the drama channel actually. I’ll reach out with some questions for your brother LoL <3

That would be great. I’ll reach out in pm <3

1 Like

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hello, of course, when I have any questions you can tell me and I will let him know. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: