"Crisis" dramas

I don’t know how to call this genre :thinking:

Right now, currently watching the Korean remake of Designated Survivor: 60 days.
I’ve never watched the American one, but like already the first episodes of the Korean drama.

Edit: this drama is fantastic!!! Very good drama! 3 am and binged 6 ep. Can’t stop! Who is behind it???

Binged the entire drama!! Wanted to skip diner to watch it :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
This drama is a book of quotes!! Really good lines.

Genre: political crisis

Spoiler for synopsis:
The President and most important leaders in the order of succession in power after the President die in a bomb attack at the National Assembly, except the Environment Minister because he was not there.
Following the protocol (I think they follow a real article from the Constitution of Korea), the next in charge is the Environment Minister. He has to replace the President in a situation of emergency state (like in war times) until next elections.

As far as I have watched (at the beginning), it was planned to revoke this Minister. They look for survivors and investigate who is the culprit.

Liked the beginning:

• they cite one article of the South Korea Constitution just before we watch the drama
  • surprise after surprise, phew! Not bored during 1 ep
  • the music! You’re in it.
  • they show the difficulty of negociations between countries (USA-Korea), behind the scenes. Mask, appearance and interests.
  • political fight for power. A travel in SK’s political system. What human beings are ready to do for power?
  • the main character. He shows intellectual honesty as an Environment Minister (science / political views and interests differ => reminder of the current situation)
  • I wonder how people will listen to the youngest Minister! There’s a striking scene where people of the cabinet and military generals keep fighting when he enters the room just after the terrorist attack.
  • simulation of North Korea’s reaction: tensions. Tensions with Dokdo territory too with Japan.
    Truthful with books about Korean history and the current situation:

Intervention of USA about SK’s defense matters. Another striking scene is when they have a meeting with Japanese representatives in a small comity, USA army forces are present. 3 parties.

• impact of the past

• group of characters and their interactions. A palette of emotions. Some emotional scenes and best lines between the secretary and the President.

There were some instances I wanted more details because I could be lost, so I was searching some terms on phone when encountering some terms.

References:

Law:

• article 71 of the Constitution! The article exists!
    “Article 71 of the Constitution of South Korea states, ‘In the event of the president not being able to discharge the duties of his/her office, the Prime Minister and ministers in line of the order of succession shall be the acting president.’ Article 68 of the Constitution requires the acting president to hold new elections within 60 days.”

And then 60 days for the acting period.

• the order of succession:
    I was wondering following the story, how come the Defense Minister was the next in line in this list?

• LGBT with the law anti-discrimination. There was an instance in the drama => It’s a real subject in SK because this law against discrimination based on sexual orientation hasn’t been voted despite many historical attempts in real life.
    Relationships between men in the army are forbidden (art. 92-6 of Military Criminal Act).

• Martial law
    In Korea history, it happened in 1979 when the chief of intelligence killed the President.

Military or Intelligent services or Defense:

• DEFCON for nuclear attacks: 1 is the most dangerous and 5 the least. In the drama, they went from 4 to 2 with NK. Wonder if in real life, SK can be at 5 with NK situation?

• NIS National Intelligent Servive
    Real agency, past with corruption
    I was wondering how come they can enter NIS so easily?

• NCS National Security Council
    (Couldn’t find English Wikipedia page for SK NSC)

History and present:

Setting:

• The Blue House (probably not the real one?). The outside of the house, the inside quite looked like the real one! Even the big stairs, the white chairs, the red carpet, the wood and corridors…

• the National Assembly and the woman statue in front (with Peace or?)

Emblems:

Other:

• Glomar response (press interview): NCND Neither Confirm Nor Deny from the police or the government to journalists and lawyers.
2 Likes