Cultural fun/interesting facts

I would be totally okay with that. In fact, I would be thrilled if they could shave off about ten years from my age, lol.

As Korea is becoming more global, I think it was inevitable that it adopts more universal system of counting age.

7 Likes

What if they were a legal drinking/partying age and then suddenly they’re back to being a minor again? :sob:

5 Likes

Or you thought you were finally old enough to vote, or drive, etc. Maybe they could simultaneously change the legal age for those things. Otherwise, that’s unfortunate.

4 Likes

That is true. I would be sad thinking I can finally drive and then the government is like, “sike! not yet!” :persevere:

3 Likes

I am sure that the legal age for drinking, driving, voting, etc. would change simultaneously when the “Korean Age” system is abolished. Meanwhile, here is an article about drinking age in Korea.

8 Likes

About time, is not fair for us women who love to take a few years off, that they made us older bc of that ridiculous system…:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

PS My Asian friends/relatives when I say my age to them, they DARE to add a year to the age I tell I am just to get on my nerves. We always have a good fight, and a good laugh about it.

1 Like

Watching “Our Blues” on NFLX made me miss Jeju Island. In case you didn’t know already, Jeju Island has three things in abundance (rocks, wind and women) and three things it lacks (beggars, thieves and gates).

https://www.travelblog.org/Asia/South-Korea/Jeju/blog-749524.html

6 Likes
1 Like

https://youtu.be/IMk0rS4LaVc
:speaking_head:Hip! Hip! :raised_hands: Hurray!! :raised_hands:
:sweat_smile: So British! :uk::guardsman:
Screenshot_20220911-040521_YouTube

1 Like

:kr: :dumpling::dango: Chuseok :dango::dumpling::kr: on Viki :rice_scene::rabbit:
Screenshot_20220912-210024_Chrome Screenshot_20220912-210032_Chrome
Screenshot_20220912-211345_Google
Screenshot_20220912-211858_Google

4 Likes

What is Chuseok, a sort of Korean Thanksgiving that lasts 3 days. Read about their custom here:

@frustratedwriter
The mooncakes are quite popular, we see them so often in historical chinese dramas, I guess you need a mold… old tradition was using the wooden carved molds, there are various recipes for mooncakes they look neat and tasty, I love the red bean paste, but it’s still quite work when you do it the first time…

3 Likes

thank you simi11, a good to know. which I didn’t know.

2 Likes

https://www.korea.net/AboutKorea/Korean-Life/Festivals

Some more information about important Korean holidays and traditions.

2 Likes

Wordtrip✓ Discoveries!
Haa-ha! They exist!
:wink:Interesting Facts
Screenshot_20221031-195220_Word%20Trip

2 Likes

The weirdest fish you have yet to see and I can’t find the one that catches his pray with a toggle or whatever the word is alike fishing rod :rofl:

Another something I’ve never heard of:

2 Likes

Weird, and kinda scary looking too. The jawfish’s incubation method… hmm.

2 Likes

I think I’ll screenshot these, and post on my whatsApp status. Neat!

Source✓
. . .“The jawfish is weird in the manner in which it reproduces. The female jawfish lays eggs. Once the male fish fertilizes the eggs laid, it places them into his mouth for incubation. They stay in his mouth for 1-2 weeks then hatch. Normal jawfish grow up to 4-5 inches long. . .”

It does something we’d expect from the male species.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Grazers of the open sea, and ocean. I bet there are more weird to us, and unique, creatures yet to be discovered.

2 Likes

Absolutely! There are so many things we still do not know…

2 Likes

Nourishing your Qi! :wink:
This is InRealLife! They’re showing what they use, we hear so much about this in dramas. :smile:

1 Like

Hi @simi11! Hi @choitrio! :smile: Hi everyone who celebrate 추석 - Chuseok! :wave:t5::wave:t5::grinning::blush:

I visited the link simi11 posted above, it compliments the upcoming event of 추석 - Chuseok! :wink:

What is Chuseok?
Chuseok (“choo-suhk”) is one of the biggest holidays in Korea. It is sometimes referred to as “Korean Thanksgiving” because it’s a special time for family, friends, and food.

When is it?
September 28, 2023
This year, Chuseok is 18 days later than last years (September 10, 2022).

Click the gear :gear: for English, and the auto-translate for OL subs. :wink::+1:t5:

2 Likes