šŸ”– Determine Your "Characters Per Second" English Reading Speed [a 5-minute experiment]

Cool test. I got 1ā€™56, so 116 seconds, speed 32,5.

1 Like

28,8 cps, it seems like a good pace.

1 Like

@Irmar - I canā€™t believe it - I also got 32.5 characters per second. And I canā€™t stop myself from saying the words as I read which slows me down tremendously. I used to read silently but ever since I started reading Korean I got into the bad habit of mouthing the words ā€“ even if my lips donā€™t move, I know I am doing it it my head to listen to my own terrible pronunciation of Korean
If there are an average of 5 characters per word, the 32.5 is about 400 words/ minute which is about right ā€“ my speed when I was in college so surprisingly Iā€™m not reading a lot slower than when I was young.

3 Likes

Very impressive. Thatā€™s twice as fast as what I achieved. Iā€™ll have to have a word with the storyteller inside my mind who insists on reading aloud and savouring every word he encounters.

Very impressive! So far, Iā€™m the slowest reader in this experiment (and I can only speak English).

1 Like

This is exactly what happens for me. While I can turn off the voice in my mind, I find it more satisfying to let it continue.

I started out with reading the words in my head but halfway through the text I started to ignore the voice and read faster.

1 Like

Ah, that explains it! I noticed that I tend to give a very quick glance to the whole sentence or sub-sentence and then proceed to read it, it helps understand faster what youā€™re reading because you more or less know what to expect.

1 Like

Thanks, Irmar. Iā€™ll try this out and see how it goes.

Because a very large chunk of my life involved reading physics, chemistry, maths and music theory textbooks, I developed a technique whereby Iā€™d first read through a chapterā€™s headings, sub-headings and captions for images and graphs. Then Iā€™d go back through the chapter and read the first paragraph in each sub-section since it is usually the opening paragraph of a section that provides the most important information. After that, I scanned through the chapter. This is similar to what you describe. Just as you say, this kind of approach assisted my understanding. I found that it also boosted my memory retention enormously.

What I find really curious is that it has never once occurred to me to approach reading novels and non-technical books like this. Iā€™m looking forward to trying it out! Thank you :slight_smile:

ā€“Manganese

3 Likes