Differences in C, K and J Dramas

First hello to lovers of Asian Cinema. I wanted to create a list of differences or some form of comparison chart that explains the differences in C-Drama , K-Drama and J-Drama, it would help explain why why prefer one type over another…there are differences as you will notice you see the same show done with three different styles…and it shows.

5 Likes

Hair color for women; C-Drama - Jet Black , K-Drama - Redheads Rule , J-Drama - Whatever color hair she was born with.

3 Likes

I don’t watch many J-dramas but for music of the ones I watch
K-drama Romantic or upbeat music but more edgy than C-dramas, often K-pop but sometimes American
C-drama Softer, sweeter type music (in general)
Clothing
C-drama - (Obviously not historical, lol) very smart, high end business outfits, or sweat pants.
K-drama - Same, but maybe more obvious designer labels. Huge emphasis on women’s designer handbags.
J-drama More eclectic style.
Tropes
K-drama and C-drama both have tripping and accidentally kissing tropes.
K-drama - getting totally wasted drunk is seen as cute, C-drama, not as much emphasis on this, though there is some.
Both seem to portray women as a combination of cute and naive or very smart and edgy and cool. Like the same woman will have both sides. C-dramas may emphasis the “cute” naive side a lot more.
C-drama’s that I watch just have an overall more gentle feel to them than K-dramas.

5 Likes

The thing with the designer bags in K-Drama …100% - reference to a designer bag almost as common as a funeral scene

3 Likes

Chinese drama- Scenery, Special effects, wardrobe and make up; deserves an AWARD.

Background music is always disgusting, louder than the actor’s dubbed voice so it drives me crazy. I was watching a great romantic drama, and the background music was so hideous; that I dropped the drama.

Japanese- HATE< HATE they don’t talk; they scream as if they are fighting all the time. Their conversations are not normal. I found lately some dramas where the actors are soft spoken, so I’m very pleased. They are changing the way they talk in dramas/movies.

I love mainly the Japanese documentaries. I can watch those all day long bc they are pleasant to watch as they speak softly. The sceneries of Japan prefecture are breathtaking. They transport me to another world. The serenity and peaceful surrounding makes me want to live in those mountains.

Korean dramas are great in OST/background music but they drive me crazy with same bloody nose, drunken women, piggy rides, memory lost (they haven’t stopped). Oh, two guys loving same woman Ughhhhhhhh I detest that so much. I stopped watching romantic dramas bc of that, I just can’t deal with that anymore.

Well, they are doing great stuff to replace romantic dramas like the Zombie movie with Park Shin Hye and the guy from typewriter???. SISYPHUS< OVER THE TOP. Awesome drama I count the days for new episodes bc is THAT GOOD. VAGABOND was award winning quality too bad viki will never have it here. ARTHAL CHRONICLES drama one of a kind. I’m so glad I can watch on netflix great quality Korean dramas bc Rviki has limited licensing of new dramas. The romantic ones have the repetitive boring scenes, so I’m so done with those types of dramas.

3 Likes

SISYPHUS It is as they say Da Bomb

2 Likes

C-Drama - Pretty women with slim, albeit realistic figures
K-Drama - Pretty women with makeup to make them look otherworldly, with BMI that indicates eating disorder
J-Drama - The most talented pick for the part

3 Likes

K-Dramas win big in all categories when it comes to OST ; I can remember some of the songs more than the drama it came from; a good example would be , My Heart is You by Ailee - Memories of the Alhambra a utterly forgetful and plot hole disaster of a drama, but Ailee blew the title track out of the water by singing it show tune style as opposed to K-Pop.

3 Likes

I think K-dramas take the win for OSTs and plot strength(more dramas which will keep your interest till the very end). I’m most likely to watch a k-drama because they end in 16 hours and I find them comfortable.

C-dramas in my opinion have some of the most beautifully done historical dramas…but they do use a lot of weird CGI which, depending on the mood, makes me laugh my head off or cry in frustration. Their length is a HUGE put-off though.
I’ve also noticed that c-drama sets are almost always very fantastical and even if it’s the real world the characters all have porcelain faces and look like they’ve stepped out of paintings.

I haven’t watched many J-dramas but from the one or two I’ve seen, I think their quality/cinematography is still lower than c or k-dramas

5 Likes

Je suis une très grande fan de J-drama ^^

• les Musiques sont généralement de groupe connu (et populaire)
  • Les acteurs/actrices super connu
  • Les drama sont généralement une adaptation d’un manga connu mais pas toujours
  • baser sur des faits réels
3 Likes

About the designer bags …K-Drama Cheongdam-dong Alice STARTS with a Handbag Chaebol :):sunglasses:

2 Likes