Do you ever wish for the White Truck to make a cameo?

I don’t often wish for the white truck of death to come by on a show, and I don’t remember the last drama I wanted to see it, but I really wish it would make a cameo in Love Rain, Seo Joon’s mother is so horrible, she hasn’t changed in decades, I can’t imagine what would possible cause enough character development in the last 6 episodes to enable a happy ending for the leads.

Anyone else? It can’t be just me.

2 Likes

OMG lmao you’re mean HAHAHA I can’t stand the white truck it has killed so many nice ppl in k dramas but never the bad ones; you noticed? But if they kill her there won’t be a story so she has to survive the truck attack. I always remember a few drama that I said; Where’s the effing white truck when you need one? So I know your pain…lol

4 Likes

Right now I’m at the point where I want the ML to run off and make a new life, none of them are worth his time, I don’t need the white truck if that happens. hahaha

Yah, I was thinking the topic was a little dark.

I wish the actress of the character I don’t like had more dramas on Viki, she’s doing such a good job making me hate the character, I’d like to see something she’s nice in. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We all been there hating an actress/actor so much because they play the character so well. To me; that’s the real actor/actress, the ones that can make you hate them in one drama and love them in another drama they are in. You will most likely see her in a good role bc in k drama they don’t stay evil; like Lee Da Hee I couldn’t stand her and I avoid it her scenes as a bad girl bc she was that good and now in L.U.C.A. I cry for her.

PS. There’s nothing wrong or dark in the topic.

3 Likes

I saw a snippet of Vincenzo where the White Truck of Doom is actually called for a cameo. It’s just to scare someone, though, but it’s close.

3 Likes

I’ve come to the conclusion I’m not cut out for melodrama. The noble sacrifice, decades old grudges, refusal to speak up, all makes me want to yell at them. I think I need a good romcom or supernatural drama next.

4 Likes

As far as supernatural drama, Hwahugi is fun (a bit upsetting at the end) and Hotel del Luna is fine (a bit upsetting at the end), and I’m watching Mr. Queen now.
My Girlfriend is a Gumiho is also excellent, although it has noble sacrifices at one point, it’s short, we get over it quickly.
Secret Garden is wonderfully funny until it becomes heart-wrenching, again double sacrifice but again everything gets sorted out, so no issues for me. One of the VERY FEW dramas I’ve watched again from start to end.
As far as good romcoms, I think What Happened to Secretary Kim is an iconic one, so if you haven’t watched it still, please do! I also loved The Secret Life of My Secretary, it was well-written and well-acted too.

3 Likes

love rain? I don’t think I have watched that one. isa that the one with “Rain” in it?

It has a lot of rain :cloud_with_rain:, it goes with the mood of the drama, but no Rain. The drama is actually very good so far, I just have to make it through the last 3 episodes somehow, without throwing my computer. I’ve come to the conclusion that I get too invested in/annoyed with the characters to watch melodramas. :slight_smile:

@irmar I’ve seen all but 1 of those, you’ve suggested some of my favorite dramas :slight_smile: , I haven’t watched My Girlfriend is a Gumiho yet, if it downgrades to Viki Standard or I find it elsewhere I’ll have to watch it. I hope you enjoy Mr. Queen, I thought it was brilliant.

1 Like

I was irritated that they didn’t have the guts to suggest the obvious solution and they went for a “proper”, “conventional” one. Although we are left free to imagine that “that’s what people are made to think but in reality they are doing something else behind closed doors”. It seems the production company actually made a poll, asking the viewers’ opinions, should we make the young couple happy or the old couple happy and they were divided. There was of course a solution to have both of them happy but as I said they didn’t dare to state it clearly. All in all the drama was very good, yes, and I still listen to the main song from time to time.

1 Like

Fight My way is hilarious too! You’ll get a kick outta jealous PSJ! And how does a 7 year PSJ old express his love? With a love fart, how else! :rofl: I died… :rofl:

If you just want to strangle as well as hug the ML watch Well Intended Love! Boss Ling is so damned CUTE, Outrageous and ANNOYING! You want to strangle him first, then give him a hug. :rofl: Or vice versa. Maybe all at once? And the FL puts up with him! Poor thing! She shoulda strangled him a few times! The side-kicks uh… co-stars… really make this show. Their antics are a lot of fun. It’s such a dumb show but funny! I think it is excellent cult classic material.

So, I’d call the the truck, but then have second thoughts. :rofl: Scare Boss Ling - yea do him some good. Kill him? Oh no! Too damn cute for that! :grin:

2 Likes

I love Well Intended, part of me never wants to admit that, because it’s so outrageous, corny, downright goofy at times. There’s just something about it though that brings me back to it, it’s definitely one of my rewatch dramas. The bromance is very cute, poor Wen Li whenever Boss Ling talks about having a wife. What was it, something like… Is that a workplace injury? lol

2 Likes

I KNOW! Boss Ling is so MEAN! :rofl:

So many scenes in that show made me CHOKE laughing so hard! :rofl: That scenes at the gym! OMG! I died! :rofl: Oh! and when, one after the other, they all were trying to hide in the FL apartment from the next visitor! :rofl:
oh man. I’ma hafta go watch that again… :rofl:

2 Likes

oh boy, Well-Intended Love was a whole package. One minute I really wanted to give him a nice hard slap and the next I was all heart-eyes :sweat_smile: And Wen Li made me stick the whole thing out, I loved him so much!! For the most part, I have to praise the wirters for pulling of such CRINGE-WORTHY scenes so that they actually seemed fun (well except that seduction-during-his-video-meeting scene I DIED it was such a cringe-fest!!!:sob::sob:)
I love dramas where the lead is a total idiot but once in love he starts doing all sorts of things…it’s so funny to see them lose composure and sacrifice dignity sometimes that it totally atones for their idiocy before! I liked The Undateables and I Am Not A Robot, the way they are totally badass and cool to everyone but such kids when they’re with the Fl!

I only want that White Truck of Death when I see that workplace abuse, you know some dramas where the rotten bosses just KEEP ON slapping and hitting their poor subordinates, I just wish the great truck would ram nicely into them, but sadly they’re already on duty hitting all the good guys :sleepy:.

2 Likes

I just remembered a blog post I read a while back. If I recall correctly the writer gave a logical well thought out reason that the white truck is used, at least in certain situations.

[In Defense Of] The Truck of Doom » Dramabeans Korean drama recaps

I’m sure there are some writers who use it because it’s become a drama trope, I just wish the truck were more discerning. lol

I do find it funny that sometime in a drama when you see a white truck innocently driving by, someone comments that it’s rushing off to it’s next assignment.

2 Likes

Ha ha, nice article. It makes sense that a traffic accident is a plausible death cause for younger characters when you exclude drugs, murder or rare terminal illness.
However traffic accidents can be of so many different kinds:

• car or motorcycle or bike hit by a car because the other car was coming the wrong way and the driver wasn’t careful.
  • car or motorcycle crashing into pole or topples and crashes after multiple saumersaults because of trying to avoid hitting young child or animal,
  • car or motorcycle losing control because of slippery wet/icy ground and too fast driving
  • car losing control because the driver is drunk/sleepy and crashes on a wall or goes off over a cliff
  • car getting caught in a carambole of other cars, not the driver’s fault
  • car crashing into a DIFFERENTLY COLOURED truck.
  • pedestrian being hit by a car or a motorbike, or a DIFFERENTLY COLOURED truck.

But of all these reasonable and realistic options, they only choose the White Truck of Doom. Which doesn’t seem to have functioning brakes.

I remember in Legend of the Blue Sea, Lee Min Ho, looking dandy in a pastel pink coat, was happily crossing the road to meet his long-lost mother. And that was the end of the episode. Ah, the agony. He didn’t look right and left before crossing, and we were pretty sure that he would be the victim of an accident. But the writers were trolling us, it didn’t happen. I mean, they also use it even when they… don’t actually use it.

5 Likes

I know, I get trauma every time a good character tries to cross a road :joy: especially when a loved one is at the other side, my heart will beat so much faster and I’m just there going “nonononononono” :sweat_smile:
there are other traffic accidents I’ve seen with cars…I think a motorbike accident would look way more gruesome so they opt for cars or trucks (the victim hits the glass and falls, whereas a bike accident would be worse)
But there have been all sorts of accidents(the three-car accident in Oh My Venus :scream::sob:), just that the White Truck is famous. Also, it’s one more of those little ‘distinctly k-drama’ things that I make fun of but love it deep down inside :smile:

4 Likes

OH MY GOD! I know exactly who I want inflicted with the white truck of doom!
The grandmother in Madly In Love
let’s kill grandma

The whole show is centred on the misdeed of a falsified will and the two feuding family clans that comes of it, so when the real will is found, the grandmother carries it about in her handbag like a packet of gum, her handbag!
I know for sure of all the reactions I’ve ever felt watching dramas, the actions of this grandmother got me so riled up I’d happily drive the white truck myself, and when her body is lying in the road I’d put it in reverse and run her over again!

4 Likes

Oh my, this woman sounds like a candidate for my The Women We Love to Hate collection

Yes, considering the family had just spent the past 30 one hour episodes (10 year span in the show) trying to wrestle back rightful control of the family business, she stuffs the rediscovered genuine will that could prove rightful ownership in her handbag and storms right over to confront the baddie family with it, leading to the inevitable drama result of the handbag being snatched! her stupidity caused another 17 episodes worth of heartache and pain for everyone. Her wronged daughter and grandson (main lead) should have hired a white truck immediately and did the job themselves! :rofl:
Or maybe not. Come to think of it, she wasn’t one of the baddies characters that you were supposed to hate! So not sure if she fits in your list of female villainy. :thinking:

2 Likes