Do you prefer sad or happy dramas?

Hi everyone!
I was wondering, what kind of dramas do you all like the most? Do you like sad dramas that are heart-wrenching and make you cry :sob:, or do you like super cheesy romance dramas :heart_eyes:

I have always preferred the latter because I HATE sad shows and endings. But after watching Itā€™s Okay To Not Be Okay last summer (which is one of my favorites) I realized that I do not mind sad emotional shows as long as there is a happy ending.

I am one of THOSE people who has to look up if a drama has a happy ending before I watch so I do not end up sad and miserable :sweat_smile:
I think the cheesy romance ones are good but sometimes I get second hand embarrassment lol

Iā€™d love to hear your guysā€™ thoughts! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I watch all kinds of genres so I donā€™t have an extremely strong opinion about this.
I definately donā€™t look up the endings. I want that to be a surprise. :stuck_out_tongue:
I do prefer some misery in the drama to make it more realistic. But on the other hand I like there to be some hope left at the end ā€¦
So I agree with you mostly on the sad shows with happy endings. But in some cases a happy ending just doesnā€™t suit the drama and seems like a quick, unrealistic fix.

5 Likes

I like all kinds of drama , think I can really say that in this last year just watching dramas I have seen everything and I like everything!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s so true- sometimes the endings just seem open-ended or unrealistic which I donā€™t like either haha

3 Likes

I prefer HAPPY ENDING dramas bc thereā€™s too much pain and loss going around in the real world, so going into a fake world were all ends up happily ever after; is all I need right now. I have shed enough tears in the real world with what the whole world is facing right now. HAPPY
ending dramas only for me.

3 Likes

I much prefer a happy ending. I mostly watch romance but I like most genre as long as itā€™s not too dramatic. I donā€™t mind a little drama, theyā€™d be boring without any, but I hate the wicked step-mother, the spiteful jealous ex, or basically anyone who is trying to Destroy the lead couple, it makes my blood boil.

3 Likes

How about the middle part? Can there be some sad things if all is well in the end? :thinking:

1 Like

Yes thatā€™s what I meant it can have sad parts as long as it has a happy ending (like Love alarm 2 sad parts but ending was happy)

2 Likes

Exactly my position. Life has too much crap to have to be sad over drama endings as well.

3 Likes

Happy happy~! I used to love sad dramas in the past, but now I canā€™t stand it if a drama has a sad ending! (I google if a drama has a happy ending before watching it too, lol)
Iā€™m now from the team of super cheesy romance dramas :rofl:

4 Likes

hehe I make sure itā€™s a happy ending-- I donā€™t mind all the angst in the world int he middle parts, but it has to end well. I also donā€™t like characters dying, though there are a few instances where i KIND of reconciled to their deaths (Moonlight Drawn By Clouds) and thatā€™s only if they were a side character. I do NOT like wasting my time watching 16-20 hours of someoneā€™s life only to have them dead in the end. I cry more over the reactions of the surviving characters than at the actual death scenes.

I think I cried the most in He Is Psychometricā€¦all I could think of was the could-haves and the should-haves and the if-onlysā€¦itā€™s very hard to accept the end of a life that could have had shined for longer, she was such a pure, sweet character, exactly what the prosecutor needed.. A lot of people say it was a happy ending but I was more invested in the other arc so I count it as a sad ending.

I feel like with all the dumb things going on in the real world, I donā€™t want to waste time watching sadness in the fictional world too. I love the fictional world because everything turns out alright in the end, and you can rejoice in someone elseā€™s happiness instead of focusing on everything thatā€™s going wrong around me here. Call it escapism, but thatā€™s how I use Dramaland. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I like both, it depends on my mood what I will choose to watch. More than a drama being happy, sad or a mix of both I need a good story, then I even ā€œforgiveā€ a not so happy ending.

4 Likes

YES! I completely agree, those kinds of characters get on my nerves SO MUCH!
It is so hard to get through shows that have such evil characters like that! And it seems like they take until the very end to resolve the issue with them

2 Likes

Totally agree! Thereā€™s too much stress and sadness in real life to be bombarded with that in Kdrama world too! And I agree, I get invested in side charactersā€™ relationships too and I love strong female character and get so sad when it doesnā€™t work out for them :disappointed_relieved:
I also use kdramas to escape from the real world, I like the happier, easy conclusions or even shows that are a little sad but have a great conclusion

2 Likes

haha yes! I found another person who googles endings too!!

3 Likes

I am usually okay with that :blush:As long as itā€™s not devastating or making me super angry lol and has a great ending to make up for the sad middle :grin:

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if you know this, but just a little tip :sweat_smile:: instead of making multiple posts replying to each user, you can either tag them as in @mur60220 or use the quote function which automatically alerts them
when you select someoneā€™s text, click on quote and this happens:

so it looks like this in your final post:

(youā€™ll get three alerts from me now: because I replied, tagged and quoted you)
this is easier and more compact than individually replying to everyone you want to :grin:
have fun!

2 Likes

If you like the side characters you might like The Love Knot: His Excellencyā€™s First Love. To be honest, itā€™s not the best drama (I gave it 7 :star:) But the love triangle with the second leads is so good.

I like happy endings too, because I really suffer when the endings are sadā€¦:sob: But I admit that sometimes I would prefer sad endings instead of forced happy endings that appears years after the dead (which turns out to be presumed) of one of the protagonistsā€¦ This really hurt my nervous system :confounded:

Same as you :smile:. It really depends on my mood. If the story is good, I donā€™t care if the ending is sad or happy, as long as itā€™s a well written one.

Badly written endings irk me more than whether itā€™s ā€œsad,ā€ especially if the rest of the drama was well written.

1 Like