Drama Fever has shut down!

Leaked security footage from Viki HQ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0rthAhdkRk

5 Likes

Totally agree, I have been a loyal watcher. They were heartless, no warning. If I had know I would have at least down loaded my favorite and wished them well. I am hoping Viki will stay strong or give proper warning.

4 Likes

i am worriedā€¦ in the end thereĀ“s maybe no change to watch illegalā€¦ -.-
i am so pissedā€¦ itĀ“s not our fault for not living in korea or chinaā€¦
i NEVER watched on DF, cause it was never availableā€¦
but viki can do this tooā€¦

1 Like

The smarmy way they went about shutting down the site is indicative to AT&T business practice.
I agree you probably will not be seeing any refund.The notice they sent implies you yourself elected to opt out of your premium subscription. Which I find quite strange.
Anyway no disrespect to Viki but I am extremely disappointed to lose another legitimate source of Asian Dramaā€™s.
DF will be missed.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s the rub.If DF was a business loss then why are all the big boys (Netflix/Amazon) jumping on the band wagon. If you read the Forbes version AT&T wishes to invest heavily in to improving HBO.HBO has been total rubbish for quite a long time.I think their only money maker is Game of Thrones.It has a huge fan base.Personally I think the show is rubbish.
Most likely HBO will pick up DFā€™s content.Or that is what I predict to come to fruition.At a much higher price of course.They may even start producing there own?Which will end up with a lot of dramas and movies done in bad taste.
Their penchant for perversion is their trade mark in good old Hollywood and of course political correctness.

4 Likes

I think many Vikians are disappointed/sad that DF is gone. Yes they where competition, we ā€˜hatedā€™ them because they got licenses for dramaā€™s we wanted to have on Viki etc etc. And as Iā€™m not from the US I couldnā€™t really watch anything on DF until pretty recently which gave me the idea they where finally expanding to European viewers which they claim they where working on since the very beginning of DFā€¦ But instead this happened.

4 Likes

This is ugly they shut down without any warnings. According to some sources it was AT&T decision. I personally use both Viki and DramaFeaver. I hope that Viki will pick up dramas that dramafever dropped.

3 Likes

Netflix 2! I think theyā€™re going more global and compact in 1 service & it would be weird for fans to buy a DF subscription + HBO subscription to watch dramas. About the content (same catalogue for dramas and same eagerness to buy the license of many dramas or they will reduce the drama catalogue from now on?), only the future will tell the audience :slight_smile:

+Maybe the DF staff that was laid off can apply on Viki (same work field and they have exp)
We also need Korean and Chinese subbers!

Thereā€™s also a 30% sale on Viki annual plan: $2,92/month, thatā€™s really cheap!
https://www.viki.com/pass

3 Likes

It is sad but the reality is with Kdrama popularity growing and have a huge fan base so more giant streaming services like Netflix and amazon are getting the copy rights of drama and Korean channels made their own streaming service like Kocowa, it understandable that price went up but still sad because drama fever was a good site.
It is obvious that Warner brother will move the contents to their own streaming serves.
I still prefer one site that only have provide Asian content,The market for Kdrama even Jdrama, Cdrama Licencing will increase because the giant streaming services will try to grab exclusive content knowing the large base they have.
Will Viki be alright?

4 Likes

honestly its gonna be hard for kocowa to close down since its owned by the actual drama broadcasters themselves (SBS, KBS, MBC). A way that they could close down is if chinese dramas significantly up their quality and become more mainstream, where viki could host these shows in addition to the korean ones.

2 Likes

@kakashiandme

I think (for your questions):

Before, we had more videos with fan videos, we had more license without Kocowa, so we could watch any drama (dramas on DF + not on DF) + Viki got some exclusives with celebs that were not on DF.
Wouldnā€™t it be the equivalent of ā€œbeforeā€? We will have the current + previous audience?
But maybe on more dramas, we will have more comments because people came to watch on Viki since itā€™s not anymore on DF?

It depends if Viki gains more license from this event (or competitors): if the drama is not on Viki, people will watch it somewhere else. It depends on what they decide for HBO, if theyā€™re still interested in drama content to buy the same quantity or buy less dramas, sell what they have and put eggs in everything for a large audience (Netflix: Why do we subscribe to Netflix?) It depends if they go worldwide.

In case we have more license, more traffic:

Human resources:

Korean and Chinese subbers: thatā€™s the real problem. Because on DF, the audience is used to have everything with subs when the videos get there. If they want to keep a fast pace: a bot &/or recruit subbers/editors in these languages.
I wonder how Viki and volunteers managed before (no bot and fan videos, we had more videos to contribute on)
In all languages: it also depends on how Viki attract more volunteers / keep volunteers on Viki and how we, volunteers, welcome new volunteers.
It depends if we, subbers, are being kept when thereā€™s a bot?

For segmenters: bot in case (segmenters donā€™t recommend it, but Idk for the audience, if they get subs faster on dramas lacking seggers because the bot was there, not sure a lot of them would complain)

1 Like

Am absolutely sad and confused at what has happen there was no warning given or anything just woke up to nonthing. I literally look foreword to my shows especially the new veriaty shows and the exclusives they have. Now i have lost many shows that donā€™t air on Viki or YouTube.

Maybe not, read the no refund at the end of the pic.

I could have written this myself. Honestly, I actually had a little cry session since it really was such a sudden and big loss for my heart. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Yes Iā€™m very disappointed about DF shutting down. I subscribed to both Viki and Dramafever. And I too was in the midst of watching 4 dramas over there which I would like to see to their conclusion. Hereā€™s hoping Viki picks them up. I like to use reliable sites. I hope Viki will remain solvent with all the competition.

5 Likes

I just spotted my email from DF :frowning:
Such a bummer!
I knew if I raced over here to viki I would find others with similar thoughts.
sad. Honestly, I just canceled my netflix yesterday too, before I found out about DF.
Maybe viki would offer some kind of special sub program for all of us DF junkies that are looking for a new home now?
My kids loved Running Man :frowning:

I think there would be many of us who would be willing to pay extra in order for subbers to be paid. I know I certainly would. I have a feeling though that Viki may very well go the way of Dramafever, especially if subbers stop subbing for free. I canā€™t say that I would blame them, although I hope it doesnā€™t happen. I actually saw my first dram on Netflix over eight years ago and was immediately hooked and went searching for a place to watch more of them. I found Dramafever, but I often watch shows on Viki and was happy when they offered subscriptions. I would rather pay for Viki than HBO! Iā€™m going to keep my fingers crossed that Viki stays up, and I for one give much respect to those of you who sub for free.

3 Likes

I canā€™t believe that DF shuts down forever because of WB fault. A sad week for the kdrama fans. :cry:

I think what might very well happen is that either Amazon or Neflix will start offering a streaming site for international media. I subscribe to a British one on Amazon, and there is also one for Bollywood, so I am thinking that now that they have figured out there is a market for it and a big one a that, someone will create another channel for us to pay for :0

2 Likes

I keep checking back out of blind hope. I havenā€™t deleted the app yet either. Sigh