Drama Fever has shut down!

Also watching those shows. It was so rude of them not to give us notice of end date. I pray this never happens to Viki

1 Like

Said so well fishisteve, Been thinking the same. Its not about dramas cost going up but why. Because its gaining in popularity and they want a piece of that. I’ve been so happy to watch good intelligent clean content. At lest there is a lot of it so if K Drama change then I have lots I can rewatch. But where? I don’t want and will not pay for a service like HBO.

1 Like

I don’t mean close down because the owners are bankrupt, of course, but maybe if it turns out to be not as profitable as they thought it would be, since it is by nature restricted to only a fraction of the overall Asian dramas. Yes, they are the most popular Korean dramas, but not all of them, and no Chinese, Taiwanese etc. which do have their own loyal public.

I think this was a standard reply to people who stopped subscribing on their own. Because if you go to DF these days you see this big announcement saying that they will refund “as applicable” - whatever that means.

I subscribe to DF, Viki, and Crunchyroll because anime content, and all but Viki are under the AT&T umbrella so I got a little worried. I went to see what’s up and the Crunchyroll service has a little tiny thing about how if I wanted, I can link it to my VRV account so all my streaming is in one place. I went to that website and guess what? All of DF’s stuff is on VRV which is a legal ‘paid’ site. Unfortunately, there isn’t a thing that allows to link the old DF account with the VRV site, but according to what I’ve been reading, for about ten bucks a month, all the streaming services under the VRV umbrella will be viewable. Now, I don’t know about the currently airing shows that DF had, but all the older ones are up and running still through VRV, so that might be an option for those wanting to watch the older stuff.

KCP (Korea Content Platform) is an American entertainment company founded on November 22, 2016, in Los Angeles, California.
​
It is a joint venture with 3 major Korean Broadcast Networks - KBS (Korean Broadcasting System), MBC (Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation) and SBS (Seoul Broadcasting System) – which have brought you lots of splendid K-Dramas that you’ve watched and enjoyed.

The big fans of K-Drama made us global entertainment companies. Thanks to their passion and support, KCP is bringing you a new brand of K-Drama, called KOCOWA (Korean Content Wave).

https://www.kcpglob.com/

As if
 There’s a reason why Viki keeps its costs low. It’s piggybacking on volunteers while distributing dramas directly from the source: KOCOWA, formed by the same companies that make most Asian dramas on the planet.

1 Like

Not exactly, the content that is offered by Kocowa on Viki is mostly segged and subbed in English by Viki Staff. Not all titles though.

4 Likes

That sounds complicated. Why go through Viki anyway? KOCOWA has its own streaming service, after all. I just don’t get it

To get more money, of course, what else?
Remember that Viki users, if they want to see Kocowa content, have to pay premium. There was a whole ruckus about this last year.

1 Like

I already have a premium membership with Viki .I just recently upgraded to the pass plus.I have had one almost long as I had my DF account around 7or 8 years.I am always looking for sources to feed my addiction. lol

That is the screen you would get after you clicked on bring back my premium perks.The "thanks and yada,yada "

Have you seen this?
It says that AT&T will incorporate the content of HBO and DF in one big streaming service which will be a direct competitor of Netflix.
This is BAAAAD news. We don’t another giant competitor to viki!

https://dramacurrent.com/2018/10/16/what-happened-to-dramafever/

3 Likes

Well, it says you’ll get refunded, right? So wait a bit and when they contact you please come and tell us what happened! We’re curious :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is totally nuts. I subscribe to both, like many. Black screen of death when I just watched it the other day. No warning. Even their news and twitter pages are gone. But as predicted, the Viki community was all over what happened. Love this community!

That being said, I think we certainly need to let Viki know what dramas we want here that were ONLY there. Make sure we request licenses, make sure we encourage subbers to step forward (even if they are new- so we can teach them!) and make sure the segger schools can support them as well.

Other than that I think we need to continue to educate the fan base about the Viki process. The subbing complaint issue doesn’t seem as bad on other “off-brand” sites because no one seems to comment in general. Isn’t there a process document type page somewhere? Maybe put that on homepages??

I am just so shocked about DF but skyrocketing costs certainly seems like a plausible reason. No notice however was just bad business.

3 Likes

Really bad news indeed! I bet that new giant only focusses on the American market again and if not they will be really expensive.

3 Likes

Right! I forgot. Actually, I live in one of those select places that Viki has chosen to offer ultra-cheap subscriptions, so it would be unfair for me to complain.

1 Like

oh my goodness! I thought you all were “playing a joke” I checked for myself, what a bummer! so yeah what about those new dramas and all? wow and yes like one of you said all of a sudden. Been with them for that 9 years too, also with viki and out the same amount of time, used both of them, shocked for sure!!

1 Like

dudie, if thsts right, and its over the 10.00 mark they can just forget about me! and why do you think its just the American market? just curious

I just paid for the year three weeks ago so I could access their offline viewing option like on Netflix. Wondered why that wasn’t working and noticed that the subs for’ Devilish Joy’ were getting thinner & thinner
and then boom
blackout.

1 Like