Dramas discussing psychology and mental health

Yes, she is great :smiley: .
If you haven’t watched Hot stove league yet, I would recommend it.

3 Likes

I shall keep that in mind. :slight_smile:
Thank you for the recommendation!

2 Likes

I’m getting curious now…

2 Likes

there are many dramas with handicaps, yes esp autism, Good doctor for one, it’s love anyway, I think that’s the title, and I loved them all cause they “overcame” their handicaps. That’s what I also liked about extraordinary attorney woo. even those with double personalities, and stemmed from childhood causes. DID? anyway like heal me kill me type stories. really amazes me what people do go through!

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that actually make it less realistic? :thinking:

3 Likes

One my favourites that hasn’t been mention as far as I could see at least is…

Kim Soo Hyun gives a first-class performance

7 Likes

That one wasn’t mentioned before? :scream_cat:
Good catch :wink:

I think Oh Jung Se as Moon Sang Tae also delivered a great performance for a character that’s on the spectrum.

5 Likes

I mentioned but different actors, that one looks different, ok thats a remake, I spoke of the Korean one

I don’t understand mirjam-465

You said they “overcame” it, but autism (among other conditions) isn’t curable.

2 Likes

aaaaawwwwww, 'm sorry about that! no, I meant they worked through their autism, their disability, or what ever. I know it isn’t curable. just didn’t clarify what I meant. sorry.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Kill Me Heal Me was legendary in all honesty. It’s still way up there on the list. Plus the OSTs were the best. I still haven’t re-watched it though because it’s pretty heavy.

4 Likes

ok, I seen something and thought I would share, we are talking about all these folks and all, well heres one, and really not sure of accuracy. but here goes

3 Likes

Main Character has DID (Dissociative identity disorder)

The Killer Inside | Japan | Drama | Watch with English Subtitles & More :heavy_check_mark: (viki.com)

3 Likes

I forgot about this topic :sweat_smile:
Also forgot to keep track of psy. disorders and issues in dramas.
I’ll try to pay more attention from now on :laughing:

This character, SFL, wasn’t diagnosed, but they really seem to have ASPD.
Maybe the writers were going to do something with that, since the doctor recommended that they’d get a psych. evaluation, but the family / character ignored it [part of the episode was missing, so it could be that they did do something with it].

2 Likes

I still have my issues with Asian dramas handling mental illnesses or patterns, but it is slowly improving.

2 Likes

I agree with you. Sometimes I’m annoyed that they clearly didn’t do their research or only did surface level research, because somethings are wildly inaccurate. In the past few years I do see an improvement in the way they are handling topics. They still have room to grow :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

There are a lot of dramas with parentified children, but since I was watching Not others, I wanted to point out the main character as being one.

The FLs mom was probably also parentified, although I would place her mom in the instrumental category (her father wanted her to pay bills / for his alcohol) and the main character in both the emotional and instrumental (FL seems to have cooked from a young age and doing more than her share of chores) category.

https://www.viki.com/tv/40007c-not-others?qId=91576091555e16015e67f0c282812f8c

3 Likes

Anyone watching the new N***x drama “Daily Dose of Sunshine” with our beloved strong woman Park Bo Young? She begins work as a nurse in the psychiatric ward. I just started it, so we will see how they handle things.

4 Likes