Dramas Over the Years - a little game!

I haven’t watched a lot of ‘old’ stuff, the oldest being:

The first year for which I had more than just a couple to choose from, and I choose a movie

Honorable mention to the movie: The Pirates

Now the competition gets really tough

Honorable mentions for 2 Filipino movies: Crazy Beautiful You and That Thing Called Tadhana

Oh no, this year is tough. Many of my absolute faves!

Honorable mentions: ‘Chicago Typewriter’; ‘Live Up to Your Name’; ‘I Am Not a Robot

Honorable mention: ‘Melo Is My Nature’; ‘He is Psychometric

Another great year.

Honorable mention: ‘Run On

It’s interesting that a lot of you said this was a down year for you, and yet it was probably the hardest for me to decide. So many good ones.

Honorable mention: ‘Falling Into Your Smile’; ‘At a Distance, Spring is Green’; ‘D.P.’ I could add more, but I’ve way exceeded my limit already. :blush:

I’ve only watched a handful from this year so far.

3 Likes

You reminded me on Live Up To Your Name - and another source, so I had to add another 3 dramas, but now that was the final touch I am not going back to edit anymore.

2 Likes

Really? You can’t just ignore the warning message?

I could ignore the warning message, but nothing would show up as the fun box link in the preview window, it just showed up as a text link. But after I did a test post, I realized that it would show up the correct way once I made the post official, so all is well. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Korean dramas / movies

3 Likes

Chinese and Taiwanese dramas/movies

3 Likes

Oh man, I somehow missed ‘My Little Happiness’. See, that adds another one to the 6 I already listed for 2021. :joy:

1 Like

Heartless City

My favourite drama of all the dramas I have watched so far.

Really like your list!:slight_smile::wink::+1:

2 Likes

C-dramas:

1 Like

I didn’t bother to separate my Kdramas from my Cdramas when I made my list because, for most years, they didn’t really compete with each other, but after seeing you mention ‘Imperial Coroner’, plus the earlier reminder about ‘My Little Happiness’, I realized that the year 2021 alone needed separate Kdrama and Cdrama posts. There are so many from that year that I would consider among my most favorite out of all of them.

3 Likes

Haha, well there is still Taiwan, Japan … At least those two countries, I don’t think I will do a Thai and/or Philippine one.

1 Like

Please keep different countries’ content separate, if possible :sweat_smile:

ahhh I hated Because of Love… segging it was a pain because I was so frustrated with the direction the plot was going - at first, I felt sorry for the FL because of everything she went through, and then I started to hate her so so much

1 Like

Because of Love certainly was no easy watch, with a lot of back and forth, but I liked that for once they really went deep into character and that the drama wouldn’t necessarily make the turns I suspected. It’s only a few months since I watched it, so we will see if it will stay on my mind in the future.

1 Like

I see many good oldies here, although they play in old formats they are still great dramas or movies, you will see also some kind of difference in the filming and makeup compared to today.
I would spend too much time to list them here those I watched many of them were mentioned already here… once I get really nothing to do, I should make my dramalist too!!

Damo 2003
The Iron Empress 2009
Jewel in the Palace 2003
Kim Soo Ro 2010
and currently on air on Viki: Lovers in Paris 2004
Lovers in Prague 2005
Blood Rain 2005
Hwangjini 2006 on Viki
Tamra the Island 2009
Kim Soo Ro 2010
here the Sageuk channel :wink: in historical order…

5 Likes

You know one thing that I enjoy about the older dramas? That you see the natural shades of people’s skin. Sure, they wore make-up and such, but it’s one thing I always notice.

4 Likes

Here’s my cdrama list: It’s not long because I can’t stand cdramas older than 2015…

2015 - Love Me If You Dare

pretty good series. Some scenes were surprisingly brutal, but I love Sandra Ma and the ML was good

2018 - Ashes of Love

My favorite xianxia, period. The actors were soooo good, they made me forget any complaints I had about the old style CGI. FL’s CGI pet was so cuteee and the drama made me go through every emotion imaginable - from lighthearted happiness, to head-over-heels crazy love, to heartwrenching sadness (i literally had no tears left to cry), to epic awe, to intense rage and frustration, to happy tears… love it. Deng Lun and Yang Zi were a pair to remember.

2019 -

Quite a few good ones but I have to give the crown to Love and Destiny
My other favorite xianxia. Sometimes I think I love it more than AOL. The CGI was, understandably, much better. Ni Ni and Chang Chen were amAZING - I loved the fact that Chang Chen actually looked like a rugged, older God of War instead of some young porcelain-faced baby. The romance was really really cute.

Honorable mention: Instead of Tipsy, Why Not Get Drunk
unique, outrageously hilarious plot, extremely cute FL, nice side romances - for ONCE, no weird second couple where the woman literally hunts down the man, forcing him into a relationship and making him feel uncomfortable(why is that a trope? :roll_eyes:)

Others: My Girlfriend is an Alien, Under the Power

2020 - Go Ahead

definitely one of my favorite dramas. I loved the family theme, and the way we get to see these three kids grow up - all the way from elementary school to their adult careers. LOVED the two fathers and the three kids - all of the actors were phenomenal in their roles. Extremely funny, relatable, sweetly romantic, and full of heart. I became a diehard Seven Tan fan because of this one. Have to rewatch sometime

Honorable mention: Perfect and Casual
yes I know I’ve told y’all a million times - I HAVE A BIG FAT CRUSH ON MILES WEIIII
i love the relationship in this one… the leads actually respected one another even though they were so different/ teacher and student/ whatever. ML didn’t just like or tolerate her(you know, those dramas where you can’t figure out WHY ON EARTH a man would fall for some weirdo immature child-woman), he actually respected her EQ. And FL wasn’t the usual severely entitled, “i’m strong because i hit my significant other and always get my way because he loves me” man-harasser - she respected him and his IQ. I could feel that they actually loved each other. And Miles Wei is such a gentleman.

Other: Oh! My Sweet Liar! - funny, outrageous historical romcom
Maiden Holmes

ahhh lots of REALLY good ones in this year… can’t choose just one!

You Are My Hero

loved this one to BITS. hilarious and romantic - the chemistry was perfect, the plot was really good, military/medical who can resist?

My Little Happiness

medical/law romcom that was just the right kind of FLUFFYYYY - so romantic, just perfect for those times when you want something without much angst or trials - just happy sweet funny love. It has the best, most satisfying ending I have ever seen in Dramaland. Really.

Honorable mentions:
The Imperial Coroner
superb mystery-romcom with a really strong plot, good characters and development - just really well done. Extremely cute FL.

Others: The Bond - heavy at times, really gritty, raw and real portrayal of a family growing up in poverty. We watch five young children from a dysfunctional family grow up and brave the world.
Fall in Love, Octogenarians and the 90s

2022 - The Killer is Also Romantic

watched only this short series. Totally worth the 180 minutes of my time. Sweet little historical romcom

2 Likes

How is “The Justice”? IDK why I haven’t watched that one…

ok I read the comments on MDL and realized why I didn’t put it on my watchlist LOL guess I just don’t like revenge dramas sigh would have loved to watch Steven Zhang, though

Maybe, because it is even less easy to watch, then Because of Love, it plays in the occupation period. There is quite some bloodshed, not like in the frontline, but for me, it was enough, and I am thankful I watched it before February/March. On the other hand, it gave me some insights and pointers to nurture my knowledge about the younger Chinese history.
It might not be your type of drama, for me, I actually like this kind of drama that tells me a bit about history on the sideline. I will look up information and find out more, so I am gaining more of a culture or the country itself.

1 Like

I heard it was set in Republican Era China. Yeah, that was a time of bloodshed - I watched Fall in Love, and it was pretty brutal, with lots of bloodshed. However, the romance and comedy lightened it a little, so I was able to stick with it. I liked learning about the history of that era - I was glad Republican Era dramas became such a trend. Everyone looks so good in those old outfits! But I didn’t find any more dramas that I wanted to watch from that era, and it’s understandable… lots of espionage and revenge and bloodshed isn’t a very conducive environment for relationships and comedy.