Dramas you wouldn't recommend?

Very good idea to make this topic and I wasn’t suprised of the others’ choices^^ it’s quite the same for me

• Love Rain (even though every actor is usually good, I guess it’s the story line and there wasn’t very much passion between the 2 main characters)
  • You are the only one (sooo long and slow)
  • 2 mothers (same)
  • Melody of love (starring Sistar Dasom who just can’t act…)
  • Blood (sorry I know some may like it but I just can’t stand it >< too stereotyped)
  • Emergency couple ( I started but didn’t have the faith to go on^^)
  • High School Love on (Sae Ron is too young she can’t do this kind of role for now, she’s just a good childactress)
  • Flower boy next door (sorry sorry)
    I’m sure there are others but I can’t remember right now :confused:

I have another one to add to this list, Goddess of Marriage. One of the worst dramas I’ve ever seen. Spoiler:

The main girl suffers soooo much because of her in-laws, she doenst like her husband and she only finds happiness in the last minute of a 50 ep drama. Big no for me.

Yeah I agree with this one ! Any of them are Goddess of Marriage… I just watched for Lee Sang Woo !

I don’t really remember the details but these are the dramas that I couldn’t finish:

Myungwol the Spy

• A north korean spy kidnapping a hallyu star?? Just by reading the synopsis, I raised my eyebrows!

Heartstrings

• many people likes it; possible fans of the two lead stars, but it was boring, the plot was unexistent. I can’t believed I watched it till ep 10.

Boys over Flowers

• did not finish either, I like LMH but the jandi girl ruined it for me with her unattractive pouty lips that she seems to think is cute. The most horrifying drama adaptation, the only reason why most people deemed it as the best compared to Japanese and Taiwanese is because the characters are all visually good looking. They made the female character so weak, rarely fights back to the demonic male lead’s mother. She even had to depend on the second male lead which did not happen in any of the former versions. She was like the weakest Jandi/Makino/Sancai when the male lead is supposed to fall for her for her courage :persevere:

You’re beautiful

• I loved all the BGM played in every episodes. I think it was okay, but the ending really disappointed me. It kind of just ended - leaving the viewers dissatisfied. I just dislike how the Hong Sisters end every dramas they’ve written and directed. It feels incomplete imho.

Full House. Most over-hyped K-drama in my opinion. I tried watching it because it is considered a classic. I watched 8 episodes, but I could not force myself to finish it.

i know a lot of ppl r going to kill me but here is a list of dramas that i regretted wasting my time on them

1. to the beautiful you
  2. emergency couple
    3)my girl friend is a nine tailed fox
  3. secret love affair
    5)the 7th level civil servant
    6)city hall
    7)heard it through the grapevine
    8)9 ends two outs
    9)padam padam
  4. deep love (Japanese drama)
  5. blade man
    12)devil beside you ( i couldn’t stand the lead female voice, acting and mustache :smiley:
  6. thinking of you lu xiang bei (Chinese drama)

Cain and Abel.
I didn´t understand the plot line and the ending was weird.

i loved queen of ambition…

paradise ranch was very widhekcjskcbsjx

@tcruz empress ki was so well done… do it!!! but I loved queen seon duk. Kim Nam Gil and Go Hyun Jung :heart:

but I hated Jang Ok Jeong. I tried for Yoo Ah In :frowning:

@catchlight I loved Golden Time and Hwang Jeong Eum

@chizzygirl I couldn’t finish ripley too slow.

I have this drama I think it’s 그 여름의 태풍? I really really liked it. Couldn’t find it anywhere to finish. :frowning: Just like Queen Myeongsong hahaha I seriously did watch every historical back in the day.

Thirty Something (Boring Taiwanese drama on people working for insurance company, with unsympathetic leads you don’t care about, and an inconclusive ending)
Typically Women (Sexist and extremely boring, predictable and badly acted Korean drama)
To me Love (Stupid Chinese mini drama, with incomprehensible story and over-the-board acting)
Cinderella and Four Knights (Extremely stupid and démodé rom com about a plain and uninteresting girl who supposedly seduces all the hot young males of a household)
My Little Baby (An Italian moderator tricked me into watching this, telling me I was going to be co-mod. I watched it cringing from embarrassment at the awkward script and bored to death. There were a couple of good actors though, completely wasted. Let me note the name of the director so that I take care never to watch anything else by him).
Playful Kiss (Cringe-worthy plot, extremely bad acting. I liked the Japanese version better, at least part 1)
Second to Last Love Korean Version. It was very predictable and cliché in the beginning, got pretty good in the middle, but it went downhill from there, more and more boring. And, just as the Japanese version (which was superior in every way), it had an infuriating open ending.
Spark (2016) 12-episode web drama. The less said, the better.
The Magic Cellphone (2016) A fluffy, ridiculous and awkwardly made 10-ep. Web drama. I kept watching because of the mesmerizing eyes of Jin Woo, but that wasn’t enough. Fortunately everything was over in about 50 minutes, but still a major waste of time. Also, for a fluffy candy floss romantic comedy to have a sad ending, it is too much!
Witch Yoo Hee. Boring and embarrassing.
Art of seduction. This is a film. Very boring. Two dry characters who are con-artists and professional seducers and have difficulty recognizing when their feelings for each other become sincere. I couldn’t even bring myself to finish it, because I was not interested in those two people and I couldn’t care less about what happened to them
How to keep my love. Boring and annoying film.
Lie to me (2011 K-drama) A main lead with a puffy face, slightly overweight and non-fit body, not to mention zero charisma. Overacting female. Farcical situations which remind one of the ‘60s. Sung Joon as the little brother (2nd lead) is nice. But I could see only 4 episodes, it was too cringe – worthy and I really, really thought it was a waste of time.

On the flip side, I really, really liked Love Rain. I cried buckets and I enjoyed the excellent acting from everyone, even the idol girl, in their double roles. The music was fantastic. The only thing I didn’t like was that the makers were too timid to make the ending happy for both couples, as could so easily be done, because they were thinking of the conservative portion of Korean viewers.

I really liked Witch Yoo Hee! Particularly the ost. You mean the one featuring Han Gain?

2 Likes

I don’t remember the actor who played the cringe-worthy pushover guy, but if it has that title, it must be it. As “witches” go, I vastly preferred A Witch’s Romance.

1 Like

Marry Him If You Dare. Mostly because of that horrible ending. Cheese in the trap was good too but was ruined by a horrible ending.

1 Like

Oh, the list of the dramas which would be good but for a horrible ending would merit a separate thread, and it would be a long one!

4 Likes

Another one I wouldn’t recommend is The Man Living in Our House. There were entire episodes where nothing happened.

Alice: The Boy From Wonderland was pretty bad too. It’s a movie, but that’s 2 hours of my life I’m never going to get back. (Not to mention the amount of time I’m currently spending on it as the Arabic moderator :sob:)

Others I didn’t like:

• 20 Again
  • Heartstrings
  • Heirs
  • Cinderella with 4 Knights
  • BOF
  • Cheongdam Dong Alice (although I didn’t watch past the first episode)

Edit:
Can’t believe I forgot to mention My Lovable Girl. As much as I love L, acting just isn’t his thing. (I was so glad when he rejected the lead role in Solomon’s Perjury. I honestly wouldn’t have watched it).

Haha! I remember this one, you’re right about it dragging. The side stories, and the main story. Ha!

1 Like

Some time has passed, I think I can add to my list of NOT recommended dramas.

Handsome guy and Jeung Eum (a.k.a. The Undateables) is a strong contender for the worst drama. One cliché after another, love story unbelievable and incredibly lukewarm, heroine you wanted to slap … bleah!

Twelve Nights (2018) The story of two frustrating, stupid masochists who kept torturing themselves for absolutely no reason and then wanted us to sympathize for their self-inflicted heartbreak. Strong contender for worst drama.

Panda and Hedgehog Already mentioned by several people here. A waste of time. Starting from the super-makjang plot, full of coincidences, fated encounters and over-the-top situations. And badly served by mediocre actors.

Manhole (2017) The plot was more infuriating than interesting: It had no heart, no soul. Just mechanical comedy and stupidity. Good-looking male lead Kim Jae-Joong was over-the-top, he played for belly laughs. As for the Uee she looked so sick and undernourished and ugly, not to mention unlikeable as a character, that you couldn’t really root for the two of them.

Cinderella and Four Knights (2016) The less we say about it, the better. Still beating myself up for watching it until the end.

Meloholic (2017) The writing was all over the place and especially towards the end, in the last two episodes, I couldn’t believe my eyes and ears.

The Starry Night, The Starry Sea Chinese drama about a merman (the subbers kept calling him mermaid, lol!) The plot made no sense, the dialogues were trite and the acting so bad you cringed every time they opened their mouth. And a crappy finale to boot.

Miracle (2022) A story about becoming an idol. Very mediocre and the actors very meh.

The Liar and his lover (2017) Interesting that we get to see the behind the scenes of idol factories. But it was poorly executed, both in writing and in acting. No chemistry between the two leads and not much acting either from either of them. I think that the so-called “bicycle kiss” is a strong contender for one of the worst kisses in k-drama. It even rivals the finale of Heartstrings in my opinion.

Bride of the Water God (2017) The story dragged on and on, more or less nothing happened, there was no poetry, no real romance and the plot was confusing, not well explained. The amount of frustration and dissatisfaction was directly proportional to the amount of eager anticipation one had before the drama started.

Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency (2019) Mediocre acting, the plot was forced, many things dragged and over the top unrealistic, the comedy often uncomfortable and the bright pink lipstick on men really distracting. Not the worst, but if I knew, I would have skipped watching this one, it didn’t add anything to my life and it was often boring and badly written.

Moment of Eighteen (2019). Again, there are far worse, but it was nevertheless disappointing. Everything in this drama we had already seen in countless other, and most of the time much better ones. The acting was lacking too, and it was never believable that these two loved each other.

More than Friends (2020)
Even while reading the synopsis I cannot even remember which was it is and why I had it on my list of disliked ones. That’s how un-memorable it was!

Navillera (2021) About an old man who wants to fulfill his lifetime dream to perform in ballet. The actor couldn’t even fake a few simple steps, he just moved his hands randomly. And the drama was generally super-cheesy and super-lame.

Revenge Note (1) (2017) and Revenge Note 2. Bah. Conventional, with mediocre acting and no inspiration.

My ID is Gangnam Beauty. Interesting initial idea, poor execution, and even worse acting. No chemistry between the leads either. Looking at Cha Eun Woo’s beautiful face wasn’t enough, after a few episodes it got old too.

Melting Me Softly (2019) Weird plot, no chemistry between the leads, disappointing plot development. Pity for LCW

Level Up (2019). Oh yeah! That was much worse than Melting Me Softly AND The Undateables. I think if I had to vote, it would take the medal.

Secret Romance. Same “actor”.

Abyss was pretty badly written - too bad, poor actors. Sometimes we didn’t know whether we should be angry or laugh.

Eccentric Chef Moon (2020) A soporific, cliché-ridden plot out of the 1990s, cardboard characters… alas, 16 wasted hours.

Dramas I had to drop after a couple of episodes episodes:

Clean with Passion for Now Embarrassingly clumsy heroine and cliché situations we’ve seen dozens of times.

Welcome to Waikiki n.2 (cringe-worthy slapstick of the kind where the actors roll their eyes, stuff their mouth and then spit the contents… UGH!)

I Found a Celebrity On the Street. Just watched one and a half episode, it was so bad!

Lie to Me (2011) Very old-fashioned romantic comedy, all the k-drama clichés rolled into one.

Rich Man Poor Woman: (I think I saw one episode and then I stopped. Conventional, sappy, cliché, old-fashioned, meh overacting.

Abyss (2019): The idea was interesting but the writer messed up BIG TIME. I can’t even begin enumerating the loopholes and absurdities we had to endure during the series, while the main leads behaved like bumbling idiots. Plus the frustration of the fact that nobody ever explained to us how and why things happened, the Abyss rules and of course the ending

At a distance, Spring is Green (2021): This is a thinly disguised BL to which they added a female love interest to attract more viewers. With the result that we have here a hybrid thing which is neither here nor there. The supposed female lead was let down in a big way. Maybe because her role wasn’t at all important in the original webtoon (so we’re told by people who have read it), and the screenwriter didn’t have enough ideas to give her a real role in the drama plot.

So I married the anti-fan (2021): Badly written, super-cliché drama. The female character is written as a bumbling idiot, the second female character as a whiny, self-pitying loser who on one hand sells her soul for fame and money and on the other always blames others for her woes and expect others to clean up for her. I don’t know why writers have to portray women like that, it’s not funny, and it’s old. Even for Korea, that’s enough already! As for Choi Tae Joon … let’s be civil and not comment about his acting skills at all. He has a charming smile, for sure, but that’s about it.

The Package (2017): That drama was lackluster. A story which would have been okay for a 2-hour film was dragged for 12 episodes, by filling it up with full guided tours. It looked more like a promotional documentary about France, something that the Department of Tourism would sponsor. The characters’ stories were like an afterthought.

2 Likes

More than Friends is like " Twelve Nights".

is a right definition. :joy:

I loved :heart_eyes: the Japanese version! But the Koreans failed to adapt this beautiful drama.

The worst for me was Abyss. :scream:

I will also add:

Oh yes. Please think about this topic (⁠~⁠ ̄⁠³⁠ ̄⁠)⁠~

1 Like

I found two of sorts. (⁠。⁠◕⁠‿⁠◕⁠。⁠)⁠➜ :point_down:t5:

⊙⁠.⁠☉ This thread’s opened topic, and the below linked topic, are twins of sorts.

2 Likes

1 Like