Erase duplicates in subtitles & Keep track of changes after releasing

@choesook

I made a 3-min video for the formula, I wasn’t really clear enough the 1st time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtJ77a0-VxQ

The formula for English googlesheet: if(B10=B8,B9,"")
In French: si(B10=B8;B9;"")
Reminder: if(set your condition; condition =true so do this/show this; condition =false, so do this/show this)
If (sub in B10 = sub in B8 (the previous sub),
show me the timing of the duplicate (timing in B9)
or if B10 different than B8, show me nothing (nothing ="" in googlesheet) = blanks that we untick in column A.

The formula can detect duplicates in subs, but there are some details to add:

• Gain time instead of looking at each segment in the case you want to erase them or be sure you didn’t forget one

• it can also detect subtitles that last < 1 second (it will show a subtitle in column A instead of a timing)

• all duplicates in column A might not be duplicates, so don’t erase them automatically: in the segment timer, from the timing slots in column A, see if it’s a true duplicate.
    A true duplicate = 2 subs that look the same without a gap between both.
    ->So no gap between = duplicate = you can delete
    ->gap between = not a duplicate = don’t delete :broken_heart:

• deleting segments with subs: only the channel manager can do it (normally), but the list of duplicates can be prepared in advance by anyone
  • no impact if deleting duplicate before/after other languages sub it. Delete duplicates whenever you want.

The sheet with formula:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fpgi_CUaXAPSbOCgKUa2hh-nufelZjfdhxqfH3Bw9YA/edit#gid=0

We can pick to let duplicates or erase them, I’m putting it here, in case others might want to erase duplicates quickly.

1 Like

Wait… Why would there be duplicates? Has it happened that often to other people that you would need to make an algorythm to get rid of them? (Impressive, as always, though!!!)

You cannot possibly mean when there were some advertisements in the original airing and they repeat the scene? No, those shouldn’t be deleted, so…

1 Like

No, no, how could I delete ads?

It’s because:

• some moderators told us there were duplicates, so to avoid being asked again
    -sometimes, we have 3 same subs following each other
  • 60 ep x 2-5 duplicates /ep, sometimes 10, it’s a lot at the end
  • I don’t know for others but when I subtitle, I don’t like to see many duplicates XD If it’s a few, it’s okay, otherwise if more, it gives me the impression we didn’t check it properly or didn’t take the time to make it clean for volunteers after us = subbers. So I can understand mods or subbers that don’t like to see duplicates in ep.

Subtitles checking and communicate post released changes to mods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL-QyCAhVxQ

The 3 steps once it’s released for all languages:
1/ Deleting duplicates => 1st video
2/ Review (update vocab, photos, synopsis at the same time for mods), send to CE, check what has been fixed
3/ Communicate the changes to mods

It’s just the way I found some familiarity with it, but I’d like to improve it… if some might have ideas or want to share how they do it!

The sheets with formulas:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f7x9keiNpRgHtYMlfyYWRS-3AnCLTrFu_3VqaByX_0c/edit#gid=1833905107
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-lKOOz5yV_dXr1P_Km8jQRihVZ-K81xRSYP3jfT4Gmc/edit#gid=0
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13pgdp2TTXfKMATYf_fr_jcbfZchlsJ2YUZUpjbPxDE0/edit#gid=0

The review document (just an ex):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K8_p5H689-IqWZNh_RTvPSAZgOY1Kz59dCTH6-KjICw/edit#

1 Like

@piranna OMG! Is that your voice (in the YTs)? You sound so young and gentle. :slight_smile: Quite different from my ‘mental vision’ of you or your voice. Not that I thought you are rough and not young. Just different. Hehe… :slight_smile: Nice work! :kissing_heart:

However, sometimes, the ‘duplicates’ aren’t duplicates but are as scripted, for emphasis, perhaps. Or spoken by different characters. This is pretty common in Chinese dramas. So, you would still have to go through each subtitle to be sure, before deletion, wouldn’t you?

How did ‘duplicates’ come about? Did you mean via Viki bots? Frankly, and thankfully, I haven’t come across such a scenario. Otherwise, wouldn’t the editing process (from TE to GE to CE or FE) have taken care of them?

Clearly, there is so much more to discover and learn. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed. In Taiwanese dramas (and not just the new format for Korean dramas), this is very common.

Each time, I have your message in my mailbox, it says JC and I think it’s Jesus Christ who wrote me a mail xd just kidding :wink:

Entre ce que je pense, ce que je veux dire, ce que je crois dire, ce que je dis, ce que vous avez envie d’entendre, ce que vous croyez entendre, ce que vous entendez, ce que vous avez envie de comprendre, ce que vous croyez comprendre, ce que vous comprenez, il y a dix possibilités qu’on ait des difficultés à communiquer. Mais essayons quand même.

Between what I think, what I want to say, what I think I’m saying, what I’m saying, what you want to hear, what you believe you heard, what you hear, what you want to understand, what you believe you understand, what you believe, there are ten possibilities that we have a hard time to communicate. But still, let’s try.
Bernard Werber

It’s the problem with written communication, we can’t hear or see.
And the only way to really know someone is to spend time with them in real life or live with them xd
Irmar had the same reaction, she could be my mother :blush: (and me wanting to call her Unnie xd)

Rereading Irmar and your post, I don’t know if I was clear about the term “duplicates”:
It’s the same sub that is in 2 boxes or more because the editors did it that way for these main reasons:

• the same reason when we fix segments, we move subs around so the sentence is not cut awkwardly. So to be able to detect them, the editors paste the same sub in both boxes that need to be merged so the sentence flow is fine.

• It depends on the editor and how they edit the final sentence: if the editor prefers to have a full sentence or to only cut the sentence by half instead of making viewers read a sentence cut in 3 or 5 pieces, we make changes accordingly.
    1: Master,
    2: I heard that you were waiting for
    3: Lady Yu who has just gone to see
    4: Lady Shen in order to find where Master found the jade pendant that Lady Yu
    5: lost in the lake.

I don’t know where this sentence comes from, just an ex:
1: Master, I heard that you were waiting for Lady Yu who has just gone to see Lady Shen
2: same sentence
3: same sentence
4: in order to find where Master found the jade pendant that Lady Yu lost in the lake.
5: same sentence

So as a foreign language subber, I would have to copy paste the same sentence thrice, so do the other subbers. And it can happen more than 1 in the same episode, so just to avoid copy pasting subs for other subbers.

In Chinese (Jade already knows it), the sentence order is not the same so to keep the same words with the voice (not in the following segment), the editor changes subs and/or we move the subs so the words go with the sound in the sentence.
For the learn mode, it is better to have the sound and the words in the same segment so we can assimilate them better.

Oh, you made me have 1 more question:
What is the most recurrent things you have to edit in Chinese drama?

• names, titles, proper nouns
  • sentence with even though… but (we often meet this one in Chinese novels translated in English!)
  • words for the context (past, modern times)
  • grammar
  • conjugation: indirect speech, sequences of tenses, past or present or future, present perfect or past simple
  • typos
  • punctuation
1 Like

(I didn’t mean delete ads. I mean, at a place when a TV channel ad was, they sometimes repeat a few seconds from the previous scene after the ad. We at Viki don’t see that ad, it has been cut out before uploading here. But we sometimes see the repetition of those few seconds of video, with, of course, its subs. That’s the only case in which I have seen sub repetition, that’s why I was asking)

LOL. I would love to receive a personal message from that JC myself. :wink:

Ahhh, now I see. It could also be done by a chief segmenter during QC. The CM is usually notified to combine the dups. As a CM, when I edit, I would combine the ‘chopped’ sentences into one, at most two segments, if the dialogue isn’t too lengthy to fit one segment.

This is desirable, but not always possible. If the dialogue is too lengthy to fit one segment, and the subtitled sentence had to be flipped or rearranged, then such a desirable situation would have to be done away with, for the sake of quality and accuracy. In any case, Learn Mode is activated according to the caption on the screen, so word for word translation would not be affected.

You’ve pretty much named it all. :slight_smile: There’s also this:

• flashback: on-screen vs not on-screen dialogue, confusion on when to italicize and when not to
1 Like

Aah, I see :slight_smile:
No, I haven’t got this problem (not yet, let’s just pray).
I don’t know how many ads there are in an ep? 6 or 8?

These ads are never seen here. They are only seen by Korean people who watch the drama live on TV. (Viki has its own ads for free users, but that’s not what I’m talking about).

I’m still lost at what kind of ads you are talking about xd viki hosts ads that don’t make them earn money?
But I’m not Korean and I don’t watch live dramas on tv? Are there live dramas on Viki?

Okay, let’s start again.
When you watch a series live (or even on repeat) on your TV, you see ads, right? The money for these ads goes to the TV channel. Sometimes, after the ads (especially if there are many of them and last a long time), channels play again the last few seconds of the series to remind you where you had left off.
Okay, now suppose that a streaming service like Viki buys the license to this series. They will remove those ads because they don’t bring any revenue to them, they were specific to the TV channel and specific to the public of that country. On Viki you don’t see the ads originally included in the series while airing, because if it’s a Korean drama they would be Korean ads. So they cut them off.
(Of course, for free users, they now insert their own Viki ads: some of them for upcoming Viki shows, some of them localized, for instance I would see Greek ads since I’m in Greece, you would see French ads. But they are not the same ads Korean viewers saw on their TV).
BUT, although the original TV ads have been eliminated, sometimes the repetition of some seconds of a scene remains, and Viki viewers wonder why it’s there.

I hope that’s more clear now.

1 Like

100% clear now👍
Thanks for the explanation :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is not uncommon for one or two sentences in the same scene to be repeated in some K drama . This only happens with cable dramas, which are allowed to have commercial breaks during the episode. For the viewers’ sake to catch up with what just happened before the commercial break, a very brief part of the video is repeated. When viki gets the video, the viki people cut out the commercial break but leave in the repeated dialogue. I think it was a conscious decision of the tech people who probably have a bot which can locate the advertisements and cut them out. (Back in the 1980’s commercials automatically had a higher volume than the tv program itself.
Sony made a video recorder that would recognize the commercial break and pause the recording so you could record without any commercials. The advertising industry successfully lobbied US Congress to prevent the sale of the Sony device in the US. ) . Rather than having the viewer see the video without the repeated subs, I just leave the duplicated subs there. I am not aware of any viewer ever complaining about the duplicated subs.
On the “Big three” Korean terrestrial broadasters, SBS, KBS, MBC, I understood broadcasting rules only allowed ads before and after an episode . Therefore, about two years ago, instead of having a 66 minute episode, the big three sometimes broadcast two 33 minute episodes on broadcasting day for a drama. But they have not adopted the practice of repeating a small part of the scene which preceded the advertisements the way the cable networks do so.

1 Like

Deleting duplicates V2 (on demand)

Trying an easier version to explain how to detect duplicates on spreadsheets and then delete them in the segment timer.
Using formulas and not macros (newbie in macros).

1. Gauge the interest in deleting duplicates first

First, you have to see if that’s useful for 1 or 2 duplicates, it’s still okay to let them.
Then, see if the CM wants to do it, I think. Because if the CM doesn’t want to, not much choice than letting duplicates.

To help you decide:

1. Duplicate subs can only be deleted by the CM normally, except for some dramas where we got lucky and the English mod can delete segments.
  2. In the segment timer, maybe you can try by copying 1 sub somewhere and then delete the segment so you can check if like Husbands you can delete a segment as a mod and not as a CM.
  3. It doesn’t impact the Learn Mode to have duplicates. It’s just like another language where you have the same sub twice in a row, you just copy the same sentence twice from the script.
  4. It doesn’t impact the viewer exp in the normal viewer mode, there’s no difference for them with or without duplicates. They see the same sub.
  5. The only difference is for subbers: you have to copy paste the same sub.

If the CM agrees and you still want to do it, continue to read. If you know how to use a sheet in general, call a cell, how to type a function, differences between functions for numbers and letters, the function "if" and the symbols "<>" and "", then skip to the following post **3. Deleting duplicates on Viki**.

**2. Using a spreadsheet (googlesheet for free, microsoft excel not free, etc.)**

a. Principles:
Using: A sheet is like a chessboard or a naval battle.
Content: A sheet is not so different than a document/word file. You just type info on it.
Googlesheets vs. googledocs: formulas, tables, it’s easier to work with sheets. It will make you gain time thanks to formulas.

A sheet has:
-columns called by letters: columns A, B, C, etc.
-lines called by numbers: line 1, 2, 3, etc.
-cells = intersection of columns and lines: cell A1 is the intersection of column A and line 1.
Add, delete columns and lines as you like.

Ex 1:
Number 10 is in… cell A1.
Cell A2 contains… the number 11.
It’s like a naval battle game.

So now, you know how to call a cell. It’s the cell reference.

**b. Formulas:**

b1. Introduction to formulas with numbers:

A sheet can:

• calculate thanks to formulas, also called “functions” that developers created inside sheets.
    Important rule #1: A formula/function always begins with the symbol equal = at the beginning of a cell.
    When you type = at the beginning of a cell, it means you’re calling out a formula/function.

Let’s try adding numbers thanks to formulas.

Ex 2:
Goal: In A3, I want to obtain the sum of 10 and 11 = I’m going to add A1 and A2 in short (let’s call cells directly by their cell reference whatever they have inside).

If I add cell A1 and cell A2, what to type in A3?

• Either, I’m going to type as if I’m writing the calculation: =A1+A2
  • Either, instead of typing A1 and A2, I’m just going to be lazy and click directly on cells A1 and A2.

You can see in the bar fx (means “function”) the formula you just typed. You can also type/edit the formula in the fx bar.
Be careful, if you go on cell A1 and A2, you will see just 10 and 11 in the fx bar, because we didn’t type any formula in these cells, but we just wrote “hard” numbers.
If you go on cell A3, you will see the formula in the fx bar, but the cell A3 itself will show the result of the formula.

When you tap enter, you obtain the result of the formula you just typed.

b2. Function sum, etc.
Okay, so now, you know how to add numbers. Good news, it’s the same principle with subtraction, multiplication, division…
Imagine you have 10 numbers to add, will you click on 10 cells to add them together?
Second good news, the function “sum” will add them all at once for you :slight_smile:

Ex 3:
In formulas sheets, to go from cell… to cell…, we use colons “:”, we’re not going to type “A1 until A10” in a formula, but “A1:A10”. So the function sum is:
=sum(A1:A10) => add content from cells A1 to A10.
As you can see:

• Any function created by developers of spreadsheets looks like =functiontitle(…).
  • A function begins with the symbol equal and ends with a closing parenthesis )
  • Inside parentheses (…), it’s cell references or numbers or we’ll see that in a few minutes letters, words and even a function inside another.

Back to sum function:

Result: A11 = 145

Imagine you will change numbers inside A1 until A10. Will the function will automatically calculate with updated numbers? Yes, because with cell references, a function will search the content of a cell.
Hence, the interest of using cell references and not “hard” numbers.

List of functions in googlesheets if you want to try them out:
https://support.google.com/docs/table/25273?hl=en&ref_topic=1361471

c. Introduction to formulas with letters:

And if sheets functions not only work with numbers, but with letters or even better words and sentences?

Important rule #2 for functions:
- to work with numbers, use mathematical symbols (+,-,/,*, <, >)
- to work with letters, use other symbols such as & and quotation marks ""

Let’s replace numbers 10 and 11 in Ex 1 by letters a and b.
Same cells, but different content.
And now, we would want to “sum letters” to have “ab”.

Ex 4:

Combine letters with & (a formula with letters or numbers will always begin with = as we said in rule #1)

Result:

**c1. Introducing the function if and the symbols different <> and empty ""**

c1.1 <> and ""
-The opposite of equal is different.
In formulas sheets language, equal is = and different is… <>

• oblivion or emptiness is represented by quotation marks “” in formulas sheets.

c1.2 if
If in a sentence implies a condition:
If it will be sunny, I will water my flowers outside or else I stay at home.
In formulas sheets, it’s the same thing:
=If(it will be sunny, I will water my flowers outside, or else I stay at home).
=If(condition 1 is true, then result 1, or else result 2).
The function if contains 3 parts inside parentheses, each part being separated by a comma.

Now, if we want to change the formulation:
If it will be sunny, I will water my flowers outside or else nothing.
=If(“sunny”, “water flowers”, “”).
Prefer convenient small words than long sentences in a formula sheet.
As you can see:

• When you type words in a formula (and not a cell reference), you will have to use quotation marks to mention a “word”.
  • When you type your formula, you have to indicate the cell reference of condition 1.

Ex 5:
Let’s imagine a situation with days of the week and next to it, we have the weather forecast.
Goal: put a reminder for you to know when to water flowers.

1st column - A: days of the week
2nd column- B: weather
3rd column- C: your formula =If(“sunny”, “water flowers”, “”)

Type your formula =If(B1=“sunny”, “water flowers”, “”) in C1, then drag the period at the down right corner until C7 so the formula is applied in C2, C3… in column C.

Result:

So now, you know how to use “if” and the symbol nothing “”.

You can obtain the same result if you replace sunny by different than rainy, it’s the same meaning.
With an English sentence:
If the weather is not rainy, then I will water my flowers outside, or else I stay at home.
With a formula sheet:
=If(A1<>“rainy”, "water flowers, “”)

So now, you know how to use the conditional function “if” and the symbols <> (different) and “” (empty).

You will use the same functions to detect duplicates.

I haven’t finished yet, miss part 3. Deleting duplicates on Viki, doing that this weekend.
(Tell me if this first inkjet is not understandable).

3. Deleting duplicates on Viki

a. When to do it?

Reminder: in a classical situation, the CM deletes it.

• If you (the CM in classical situations) don’t know the original language of the drama (Korean, Chinese, etc.):
    I think the moment just before an episode is released to all is the best moment because the subs would have been edited and you won’t erase something you shouldn’t.
    But if it’s not possible at this specific moment, then do it later, after releasing for all other languages.

• If you (the CM) know the original language of the drama:
    You can do it whenever you want.

Skip b. Know how to read timing in the segment timer. and go to c. What to do to delete duplicates on Viki if you already know the segment timer, reading timing.

b. Know how to read timing in the segment timer.

Go in the segment timer:

So in the segment timer, it looks like that.

• Each orange box (= a segment) contains a subtitle.
  • You can see timing above these orange boxes: it’s the same timing when you watch an episode in the normal viewer mode.
    When you see a subtitle that is late or early compared to the voice, it’s because these orange boxes are not at their right place.

There are hundreds of orange boxes, so to differentiate one orange box among many others, like the cell reference in a sheet, we call them by their timing.

• How to call a segment like we would call a cell reference?
    In the example above: you only read the timing “0:07:45” and “0:07:50”
    It’s in the format hour:minutes:seconds, so not hard => 7 minutes and 45 seconds for ex.
    Now to go from 7:45 to 7:50: it’s 5 seconds. If you look at the grey ruler lines, you will notice 4 grey middle-sized lines between 7:45 to 7:50 => logically, a grey middle-sized line represents 1 second (to go from 7:45 to 7:50).
    Ex: the green line is at the timing 7:46 (the first grey middle-sized line after 7:45)

Back to these orange boxes:
Orange box 1 begins at 7:45 and ends at 7:46 => the subtitle contained in that orange box will appear at 7:45 of the video and will disappear at 7:46.
Orange box 2 begins at 7:46 and ends at 7:50 =>…

Now if we move a little the orange box 2:

How to call orange box 2 now?
If you take a look at your watch with the same increments principle: if the hand of the clock is between 2 o’clock and 3 o’clock, it’s still 2 o’clock something.
Then it’s the same principle here.
The beginning of the orange box 2 is between 7:46 and 7:47 and to make it short, we will say that the orange box 2 begins at 7:46 (yup, it’s not 7:47 yet!).

So when you read “segment at 7:46 is late” => meaning: the orange box should begin before 7:46 and the subtitle inside that box is appearing later than the voice. A problem of timing.

So now, you know how to call a segment by its timing.
To know more or to enroll to learn segmentation (how to create orange boxes): https://nssacademy.weebly.com/segmenting-guide.html

c. What to do to delete duplicates on Viki:
c.1. What does a duplicate look like?
c.2. Copy subtitles of the episode containing duplicates from the bulk translation
c.3. Paste in a new spreadsheet and formulas =if(…) and the symbol empty “”
c.4. Delete duplicate in the segment timer.

c.1. What does a duplicate look like?
Take the same orange box 1 and orange box 2 we were just talking about and copy the same subtitle in both.
Ex: subtitle “I love you.”

From 7:45 to 7:46 (orange box 1): you will read the subtitle “I love you.”
From 7:46 to 7:50 (orange box 2): you will read the subtitle “I love you.” again.
=> So from 7:45 to 7:50, it’s actually the same sub.
The orange box 2 is called a “duplicate” and that’s what we want to delete.

Be careful enough to be sure that a duplicate is immediately following the first sentence, meaning that the orange box 2 is immediately following orange box 1, no black hole between orange box 2 and the first one or else it’s not a duplicate and it should be left as it is.

Boxes containing the same sub should be glued together to be called duplicates.

c.2. Copy subtitles of the episode containing duplicates from the bulk translation

Ex 6: In bulk translation:
1/ We have English in the first column and in the second column, pick a language without subtitles (Afar for ex or lolspeak).
2/ Select all (ctrl+A shortcut), copy (ctrl+C shortcut)

It should look like that when you select all:

c.3. Paste in a new spreadsheet and formulas =if(…) and the symbol empty ""

That’s when we will detect potential duplicates using a spreadsheet.

1/ Paste in column B (ctrl+V shortcut)

So now, notice where your 1st sub begins and where timings are:
At 0:00: first sub “how to describe in words…”
At 0:11: second sub “If there is a salvation…”
By cell references:
First timing: B9
First sub: B10
Second timing: B11
Second sub: B12

We will use these cell references in the function =if(…) to detect duplicates.

2/ Use =if(…) and “”
How to use them there?

What we need to know is (in the order you will do it):

• is it a duplicate?
  • what timing is it?
  • is it really a duplicate? Go see in segment timer to check if there’s no black hole.

Back to what a duplicate is:
If the subtitle is the same than the previous one (+ no black hole between orange boxes, but in a sheet, it’s impossible to know that, you’ll have to see in the segment timer directly).

So the same sub as the previous one and the timing we need, in the ex above in 1/ using cell references, it would be:
=If(B12=B10, B11,"")
Cutting in pieces:
=If(B12=B10 ===> is the subtitle the same than the previous one? If that’s the case, then…
B11 ====> result 1: show the timing of the second sub…
“” ===> result 2: If the subtitles are different, don’t show anything.

So that’s how to detect duplicates in sheets (potential ones).

The column A will be used to type this function.
Let’s type it first in the cell A12 since any first duplicate should potentially begin at the second subtitle of an episode.

Type enter and double click on the right down angle of the cell A12 where you just typed the function so the function will be reproduced until the end of the subtitles that you pasted and… good news, the cell references inside the original formula will be updated to match each sub (it will calculate if 3rd sub is a duplicate of 2nd sub, if 4th sub is a duplicate of 3rd sub, etc.

Result:

So it’s the duplicate that we created just above with the sub “I love you.”
What A162=7:46 means?
Just that the sub in B162 “I love you.” is a (potential) duplicate and its timing is at 7:46.

Let’s delete it in the segment timer.

c.4. Delete duplicate in the segment timer.

In the segment timer, we go at 7:46 (the potential duplicate) by moving the grey cursor above the timeline, just below the video:

Final check before deleting:
We see no black hole between box 1 and box 2. These boxes are glued together, which means they are real duplicates.

Now delete the orange box 2 beginning at 7:46 using the backspace key shortcut, you’ll have this:

The box with the sub “I love you.” will last only 1 second from 7:45 until 7:46.

Is it done? No.

Extension and dialogue last things to check after deleting:

Let’s see extensions:
In a real situation, initially, it means that the character was saying “I love you.” from 7:45 until 7:50 (box 1 and box 2 lasted from 7:45 until 7:50 so the sub “I love you.” too).
Note: on Viki standards, we always add 1 second after the last word of a sentence is said to let people have time to read the sentence, so in truth, the character is saying I love you from 7:45 until 7:49. And from 7:49 to 7:50, it’s the “1 second for reading” extension we add.

Know more: https://nssacademy.weebly.com/segmenting-guide.html

Back to our thing:
If you let it like the pic above, the sub will disappear at 7:46.
Problem: he’s saying that until 7:49 and we need to add the “1 second for reading” extension so at least “I love you” should appear on screen until 7:50.
That’s why, just extend it until 7:50 (there’s a shortcut for that, look at the shortcuts menu or the nssa segmenting guide);

Result:

So you see the 2nd box is no more, and the 1st box replaced it.

Let’s see dialogue:

• If in box 1 from 7:45-7:50, you only hear “I love you.” once and nothing else. Then there’s nothing else to do and it’s done.

• If in box 1, a woman was saying “I love you.” and in box 2, a man was answering “I love you.”, it’s a dialogue.
    To show this dialogue in one box: put hyphens for dialogue :slight_smile:

Box 1 (from 7:45 until 7:50):
Currently, you can see only 1 sentence “I love you.” in the previous pic.
Now, we will edit the subtitle and put hyphens:

• I love you. <br> - I love you.
    And that’s it for their love confession!

----------

So now it’s done :slight_smile:

Keep the copy of subs before/after deleting these duplicates in case you delete something by mistake and the final version is always better to keep.

In short:

• copy subs from bulk
  • paste it in googlesheet and =if(second sub of the ep=first sub of the ep, second sub timing, “”) to drag until last sub
  • segment timer to check no black hole between same sentences (meaning it’s a real duplicate)
  • delete and extend if needed with the “1 second for reading” extension.
  • keep the sheet in case you delete something by mistake.

Last tip: When navigating, deleting, adding extension in the segment timer, you might find it difficult if you don't have experience with the segment timer already. You can gain this experience through nssa, the ninja academy for segmenting (it's free and you just learn!). So my last tip would be: enroll in nssa. It will probably be useful one day, whatever role you want to take.
  • as a CM: deleting duplicates or when you cut an episode into parts to make it easier for multiple users to work on different parts of an episode. You might encounter situations where you will have to delete a segment that means nothing or adding an extension for reading because you moved a part.
  • as a moderator, subtitler and editor: hearing if something is late or cut before the sentence is completely finished or even a missing segment or a missing subtitle or how you should subtitle it because they segmented like that.
    You’ll be able to detect that.
    And…
    Segmenters are not always there when you need them, so if as an English editor or English subber, if you already know how to create a segment, if you know how to move a segment so the sentence is not cut into mini pieces, it’s also good!

(sorry for taking longer!)