Funny Korean words

Thank you for explaining this! :smiley:

In Bulgarian the expression “opaa” is an exclamation in a disturbing situation when you run into somebody or something in the street for example. Often we say: “Opaa, sorry”, as young people often use the English “sorry” instead of the Bulgarian version and Opaa translated is something as “Oh my
” or “ouch”
So it happened to Bulgarians in Korea to bump into Korean men and spontaneously to say: "Opaa, sorry). Korean looked at them strangely
 of course
 Probably thinking: Oppa? Me? Your oppa? Whyy? Who are you?
You know how they react
Distantly
 Heh

In Bulgarian also the word for " no" is “ne”.

1 Like

There is my video in YouTube. A couple of weeks ago I taught my granddaughter Korean song. She learned very quickly even if she does not speak any Korean language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL8KElXRcQs

And there is original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkuxkYWI1J4

2 Likes

Nice explanation. Sometimes the translation is “Mother” although I know the character is the mother-in-law. Does that mean I should correct it to mother-in-law in the translation? Also, I usually leave “Oppa”, “Noona”, “Noonim” “Ahgussi” as is, so couldn’t we just use Omoni and Omonim and have people learn what they mean?

OMMGGG THIS IS SOOOOO FREAKING CUTE !!!

My little brother who is 3 is singing this one

http://youtu.be/_dAo8y8C3jM

But he just can say " I love youuu sarangheyo "

2 Likes

Yes, I always translate it as mother-in-law or father-in-law.
Well, if you are going to use Ominim, I would suggest putting in (m-I-l) in parenthesis next to it the first couple times you use it in the episode.

i’ve lots of them
-aiku
-gilog (it means writing )
-yeohaeng (it means travel )
-geoli (it means street )
i think it’s enough !_!

1 Like

OMG! Your granddaughter is SO adorable! And she sings it SO WELL!! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

pimil it’s means secret

Hmm that’s hard , because one of the reason i love korean (language ) is the fact that is FUN speaking it .

I guess “chincha” , it was like the second word i learned so i kinda fell in love and just couldn’t stop saying it . Even when the situation didn’t ask for it . xD

2 Likes

I am using aishhh all the time lol

3 Likes

IKR! When i got into kdramas I start calling people "yahh " and saying aishhh all the time , of course i still do , but it’s funny how people don’t look at me with that trying to undersand face . But i got tell ya , we are the lucky ones . **Aishh ** , they don’t even know what they’re missing !

1 Like

What I think is funny is the phrase, “Work hard.” that they say to each other. It is always translated as “Work hard.”, but in English we NEVER say “Work hard.” We say, “Don’t work too hard.” The complete opposite. Koreans also say, “You worked hard.” which is not said in English either. We say, “Good job.” or, “Well done.” which emphasizes the result and not the effort.

yes i can’t stop say this

That is so darling.

I love it when the words: Kiss, hug, dress get that extra vowel in the end. Kisse etc.

Hareso, chincha ( when little kids say it), hachiman, kre, poppo, pee( blood), apao, aputa, kremkrom, bul. I find myself randomly thinking certain words. “hanna, dul, set: kimchi”

1 Like

Let’s keep the conversation rolling in the new “Language Learning” category ~ Thanks everyone!