Funny Korean words

There is lot of Korean words which sounds very funny to foreign people. Which words you pick?

My words:
ppalli ppalli (quickly) means in Finnish testicle testicle (palli palli)
and hal-abeoji (grandfather) is so funny too even it has no meanings in my language.

1 Like

Korean, in general, sounds funny to me , lots of  -nida’s at the end and many times it looks exaggerated, surprised,interogative .Because I’ve been watching k-dramas for four years now, I’m used to it, but is still funny to hear an “aigoo”. (aigoooooooo)

So my word is “aigoo”. because it sound so exaggerated and funny :smile:
My favorite k-word is “oraboni”. I really like it. I don’t like"oppa" especially when it’s an exaggerated “oppa” (opaaaa)

1 Like

Oraboni is always used in historical dramas. It really sounds respectful towards family members in this case the brother I like it too.
Oppa is like used for everybody and everything :smiley:

There is a common word in Korean that sounds like a bad word in English. There was even like a vine video for it… LOL. My friends kept showing me and I was like “LOL, i’ve noticed this before.” All the students at my school always use this bad word in English and it’s like…omg just stop.

what word?

i always feel that “gomawo” sounds funny. it kind of sounds like “dog yells at me” in chinese >.<

I always find it funny how some of their words sound so close to each other but has different meaning. It would be a very awkward conversation if you mispronounce the word.

Sibpal - 18
Ssibal - the F word
Shimbal - shoes

2 Likes

areubaiteu spoken like Arbeit

Arbeit means Work in German so it’s pretty funny all the time they say it.

1 Like

Is it “Naega” that means “I”? ahahah

1 Like

LOL YES THAT ONE TOO. It’s actually “niga” which means “you” in Korean [the one I’m talking about]

1 Like

It’s “niga” in Korean. In English, it means a bad word that mostly every bad person speaks of.

“Oppa” was quite funny for me, when I heard it for the first time. In some parts of Germany pronouncing it the same way, it means “Grandpa”. The real German word for it is “Opa” with a long vowel in the beginning, but my Grandparents and my Mum are influenced by the dialect of the region they come from and so they would say “Oppa” instead of “Opa”.
2 more (maybe) interesting facts:
“ne” (Korean “yes”) is informal speech to say “no” in Germany.
The way people yell at each other using “Ya” (often translated with “Hey”), if you pronounce it the same way, it means “yes” in German.

2 Likes

Wow i didn’t even notice that. I thought of oppa and Opa because a friend had to laugh when she heard that word oppa thinking of the German word opa.

But the other ones :0 amazing

oh yeah, i forgot about that one, because there’s a similar word in chinese >.<

That’s why I always want to translate “grandfather” as “Großvater” instead of Opa. We said Großvater and Großmutter in my family. Don’t Koreans say “Omma” for "mom? Confuses me every time. Wait, is she the mother or the grandmother? Oh, she’s not related at all! (considering the young people call their friend’s parents Mother and Father).

But I think you can use both can’t you? Isn’t grandfather Großvater in German and Opa is like the shorter way and the informal way ?

I think they say Omoni and Omma is informal. Also when they call the mother of a friend like that they also say Omoni don’t they?
And Halmoni is the grandmother.

1 Like

I think when thy use mother and father for the parents of another person, it has more the meaning of “mother/father of this family” instead of “my mother/father”. Not sure if somebody understands, what I mean. :smiley: Kind of like a position, similar to “head of the family”. But this is just my guess.

That’s a very good theory. I think there is some truth to it, even though I’ve never thought of it that way.

Typically, They call their friend’s mom Omoni to show respect. The underlying meaning behind is that if she is the mother of my friend, then she deserved to be respected as if she is my own mother.

Omoni is more respectful term than Omma. So typically you would call your own mom Omma but you would never use that term to your friend’s mom. You would always use Omoni or Omonim. But the terms Omonim or Abuhnim is used mostly for your mother-in-law and father-in-law.

2 Likes

Oraboni is the olden/antiquated term of Oppa. That’s why you hear it in historical dramas. And it’s true that it’s more respectful since ppl used more respectful term back then.

So now I know one Finnish word, Pali Pali! LOL

The Korean word areubaiteu actually originated from the German word, Arbeit. That’s why it sounds so similar. But the meaning changed slightly and they only use this word for a part time job a student would have as a side job.

1 Like