Have you watched Legend of Zhen Huan? Please help!

Hello Everyone:

I am a postgraduate student at University of Warwick. I am doing a research on Legend of Zhen Huan/Empresses in the palace from the non-Chinese audience’s point of view. If you want to share your opinions and want to help Chinese people have an understanding of foreign standpoint, would you mind to spend some time answering these questions?

1. Did you watch the 6-episode version or 76-episode version?
  2. Which country are you from? Do you speak Chinese?
  3. Do you watch this series with English subtitles? How do you feel about the translation?
  4. Do you like Legend of Zhen Huan (Empresses in the Place) and what do you think of it?
  5. How do you get started with this drama?
  6. How do you understand the complex culture in Chinese costume drama? (For example, did you discuss with friends, search the articles/read books, learn it from the explanation text post by fans, or through other ways?)
  7. How do you compare Legend of Zhen Huan (Empresses in the Palace) to the costume drama in your own country?
    8.What are the elements of Chinese costume drama that attract you the most?

Thank you!
Mengchu ZHU

1 Like

Hey, ZHU,
As a fan of Huan Huan, I’m glad to answer these questions. (although it seems too much.ok, breath breath)

1. Both
  2. Spain,No
  3. No; The official English subtitles of 6-episode are at best awkward and at worst a garbled mess. The sense of whole conversations is lost in inept translation. It’s a pity.
  4. I have to say it is a powerful, exquisite feast of a drama that deserves an international audience.
  5. I am a costume drama lover. I got asian costume drama by accident. They seems so different from European costume drama. It’s really good to watch, even though most are long-running. But for asian drama, I don’t need to wait season by season. And watching costume drama is an easy way to learn different culture.
  6. Usually I watching the series online, so I read the comments under each episode.
  7. I feel like the pace of this series is very slow. But I guess this is the way ancient Chinese live, walk and talk?
  8. The culture and history; the way the talk; the splendid costume…
2 Likes

1.Did you watch the 6-episode version or 76-episode version?
I watched half 6-episode version at the beginning. I didn’t take it serious, to be honest, coz I usually watched it while doing housework. then I give up. Later I read a review article that labeled this series (it turn out to be 76 episodes in full version!) as the nation’s favorite in China. So I watched it on Youtube, and I would say, this is one of my FAVORITE shows ever!

2.Which country are you from? Do you speak Chinese?
I’m American. I don’t speak Chinese. But so far, I can speak several Chinese words, like Nihao(hello) and xiexie(thank you) :laughing:

3.Do you watch this series with subtitles? How do you feel about the translation?
the subs are not great but if you follow story carefully you can make it clear
and get the story. I guess that’s why I give up the 6 episodes. coz you have to concentrate on the series and the subs to grasp it.

4.Do you like Legend of Zhen Huan (Empresses in the Place) and what do you think of it?
Yes, I do like it! This is such an amazing production. Not only is the story line terrific, the complexity of the characters, the amazing make-up and costumes, make this series so visually rich.

5.How do you get started with this drama?
I can’t remember. Probably I have lots of time to kill and need some soap opera.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6.How do you understand the complex culture in Chinese costume drama? (For example, did you discuss with friends, search the articles/read books, learn it from the explanation text post by fans, or through other ways?)
There are indeed many plots I can’t easily understand. Some grand rituals, ridiculous thoughts and like the conversations always make me confused. But I can follow plot of story without knowing these stuff, so I didn’t do the specific research on Chinese culture. I will definitely ask Chinese people if I meet.

7.How do you compare Legend of Zhen Huan (Empresses in the Palace) to the costume drama in your own country?
well, there is stronger sense of period in legend of zhen huan. and it seems like in this drama packaging is beautiful, the costumes are so exquisite. Costume drama is not the most popular genre in the states. But like the most popular drama Game of Thrones and Spartacus, the pictures were more like films instead of TV series. The stories were about the war or the violence. In the legend of zhen huan, almost every concubine died at the end, but they are completely different.

ah, I would say the culture is the most attractive element. It is easy to learn different culture while watching TV. of course the story and visual enjoyment( actors, grand palace, and costumes are all important.

1 Like

I’ve watched this drama!
I started watching the first episode in Netflix. I watched the 6 episodes short version. I didn’t know Viki that time, otherwise I definitely watched the full version.
I’m from the United States. I don’t speak Chinese but I really want to learn it!
I like Legend of Zhen Huan. When I saw the picture on netflix, I thought “oh, it’s Fan Bing Bing! I am going to watch!” But it turns out to be another Chinese actress. I am not Fan Bing Bing’s fan but she is the only Chinese actress I know… But after I got in the story, I enjoyed it very much, no matter if it acted by Fan Bing Bing. The story and the delicate costumes were awesome! I really hope I could have a chance to go to the Forbidden City.
I did research and also tried to read some books written by Chinese like “wild swan” and books about Confucian. But the Chinese history and culture are so complicated and difficult to me lol
In my point of view, the ideology between Legend of Zhen Huan and American productions are different. China advocates Confucianism. Every detail in the drama shows unique Chinese philosophy.
Chinese philosophy.

1. Did you watch the 6-episode version or 76-episode version?
    6-episode
  2. Which country are you from? Do you speak Chinese?
    I’m originally from Indonesia and now living in Singapore. I don’t speak Chinese.
  3. Do you watch this series with English subtitles? How do you feel about the translation?
    Of course, impossible otherwise. I can understand the flow but I’m not sure about the quality of the translation because I wouldn’t know the Chinese version, would I?
  4. Do you like Legend of Zhen Huan (Empresses in the Place) and what do you think of it?
    Yes, I think so. It’s definitely different from my culture but the story is good. At the beginning I need to ask my Chinese friends for backgrounds but later the story gets easier to understand.
  5. How do you get started with this drama?
    A Chinese friend said it’s good.
  6. How do you understand the complex culture in Chinese costume drama? (For example, did you discuss with friends, search the articles/read books, learn it from the explanation text post by fans, or through other ways?)
    I mainly ask my Chinese friends
  7. How do you compare Legend of Zhen Huan (Empresses in the Palace) to the costume drama in your own country?
    The production is better. The story is more attractive. The speed a little bit too fast but maybe it is because I don’t know many background information.
  8. What are the elements of Chinese costume drama that attract you the most?
    It’s the story and production quality.

1.Did you watch the 6-episode version or 76-episode version?
76 full version
2.Which country are you from? Do you speak Chinese?
United States. No
3.Do you watch this series with English subtitles? How do you feel about the translation?
Yes; Good
4.Do you like Legend of Zhen Huan (Empresses in the Place) and what do you think of it?
Yes; Awesome series and fabulous acting.
5.How do you get started with this drama?
My Chinese friend recommended to me.
6.How do you understand the complex culture in Chinese costume drama? (For example, did you discuss with friends, search the articles/read books, learn it from the explanation text post by fans, or through other ways?)
Ask my Chinese friend
7.How do you compare Legend of Zhen Huan (Empresses in the Palace) to the costume drama in your own country?
Chinese drama always was produced more than 30 or 40 episodes (and legend of Zhen huan was 76!!) I was shocked by the length. I spend more than 3 months to finish it. worth watching but compared to American TV drama, 76 episodes seem to be an impossible mission.
History

1. I watched both but I did watch the 76-episode version first

2. I am from the United States and I can speak enough Chinese to survive a trip there.

3. I do watch it with English Subs but I can also watch it without and understand it for the most part but I do think the subtitles need a lot of work.

4. I love the Legend of Zhen Huan. The storyline drew me in immediately and I couldn’t stop watching it. This series also had such amazing actors but most of all my favorite had to be Li Sun. I now watch just about every drama she has been in since this series and she never disappoints. Also, just the history, costumes, and effort that went into this drama really shows and it beats out most that I have seen.

5. I happened to be getting bored with most of my k drama’s at the time and was looking for something more historical based of a drama and I happened upon a list of Chinese drama’s on a website and this was one listed that sounded like what I wanted. Plus I love a long yet in-depth storyline involving history so I watched the series and got hooked.

6. I went to quite a few web discussions about the show and discussed it with other people as well as looked up what I could over the internet.

7. Honestly, I can’t even compare this or any of my favorite Chinese dramas to anything in my own country. It is like night and day in the way that the drama’s in my country are all like soap opera’s and just emits fake everywhere whereas these dramas are meant to portray real people’s lives at one point and all the hardship and loss to get to where they are.

8. Goodness, this is a hard one, I would have to say the history and the respect that they have for their own past that makes up what they are. I love how hard they work to make these dramas as amazing as they are and as correct historically as well as crowd-pleasing as they can without losing the small details. This one along with the Legend of Mi Yue and Nothing Gold Can Stay are all dramas that in my mind portray these traits.

Hey I saw that you‘re interested in this TV series. I’m also doing a survey about that, could help me? Thanks a lot!
What’s your opinion about the translation of poems in Empresses in the Palace?
Translated texts of classic Chinese poetry in Empresses in the Palace

(1)Each year and every year, the blossoms return anew. Each year and every year, the bloom of youth does not.
年年岁岁花相似,岁岁年年人不同。

(2)To capture the heart of my fated lover and cling together till our hair turns gray.
愿得一心人,白首不相离。

(3)A jade vessel is the symbol of a pure heart.
一片冰心在玉壶。

(4)Beauties of slim waist in the Chu palace are quite graceful and charming. But their youth and beauty will fade away with the years.
嬛嬛一袅楚宫腰,那更春来香减玉消。

(5)They would rather die on the branch retaining their scent than be scattered on the cold wind.
宁可枝头抱香死,不曾吹落北风中。

(6)Green shoots spring from the shoal and still I am far from home.
满汀芳草不成归。

(7)The smallest mistake a musician made, Zhou Yu would notice.
曲有误,周郎顾。

(8)Over the high mountain, a distant moon rises. Though the moon is small, it shines clear and bright. The one on my mind is far away from me. One day apart and already my heart is heavy.
山之高,月之小。月之小,何皎皎。我有所思在远道。一日不见兮,我心悄悄。

(9)I’ve grow careworn for thinking of my lover.
为伊消得人憔悴。

(10)Dance lightly like a startled wild goose. Move gracefully like a soaring dragon. More glorious than the chrysanthemums of autumn. More majestic than the pines of spring.
翩若惊鸿,婉若游龙。荣曜秋菊,华茂春松。

(11)Just like the moon mantled in light clouds, swinging like a snowflake swirling in the blowing breeze. Gazing from a distance, as bright as the sun rising above the rosy clouds of dawn.
仿佛兮若轻云之蔽月,飘摇兮若流风之回雪。远而望之,皎若太阳升朝霞。

(12)One must pick a flower at the prime of its bloom. Do not wait until the blossoms fade and fall.
花开堪折直须折,莫得无花空折枝。

(13)I advise you not to covet golden embroidered garments.
劝君莫惜金缕衣。

(14)A pair of phoenixes on the wing, glide in perfect harmony.
凤凰于飞,和鸣铿锵。

(15)A tiger cub cannot be caught without entering the tiger’s lair.
不入虎穴焉得虎子。

(16)Flowers in blossom and the full moon, symbols of a conjugal bliss which endures.
花好月圆人长久。

(17)Yearning for a life long in years, we share the same moonlight even a thousand miles apart.
但愿人长久,千里共婵娟。

(18)Let us commit ourselves to one another for life, two souls eternally united.
终身所约,永结为好。
If only we may live in harmonious matrimony, our days filled with peace and joy.
琴瑟在御,岁月静好。

Hey I saw that you‘re interested in this TV series. I’m also doing a survey about that, could help me? Thanks a lot!
What’s your opinion about the translation of poems in Empresses in the Palace?
Translated texts of classic Chinese poetry in Empresses in the Palace

(1)Each year and every year, the blossoms return anew. Each year and every year, the bloom of youth does not.
年年岁岁花相似,岁岁年年人不同。

(2)To capture the heart of my fated lover and cling together till our hair turns gray.
愿得一心人,白首不相离。

(3)A jade vessel is the symbol of a pure heart.
一片冰心在玉壶。

(4)Beauties of slim waist in the Chu palace are quite graceful and charming. But their youth and beauty will fade away with the years.
嬛嬛一袅楚宫腰,那更春来香减玉消。

(5)They would rather die on the branch retaining their scent than be scattered on the cold wind.
宁可枝头抱香死,不曾吹落北风中。

(6)Green shoots spring from the shoal and still I am far from home.
满汀芳草不成归。
(7)The smallest mistake a musician made, Zhou Yu would notice.
曲有误,周郎顾。

(8)Over the high mountain, a distant moon rises. Though the moon is small, it shines clear and bright. The one on my mind is far away from me. One day apart and already my heart is heavy.
山之高,月之小。月之小,何皎皎。我有所思在远道。一日不见兮,我心悄悄。

(9)I’ve grow careworn for thinking of my lover.
为伊消得人憔悴。
(10)Dance lightly like a startled wild goose. Move gracefully like a soaring dragon. More glorious than the chrysanthemums of autumn. More majestic than the pines of spring.
翩若惊鸿,婉若游龙。荣曜秋菊,华茂春松。

(11)Just like the moon mantled in light clouds, swinging like a snowflake swirling in the blowing breeze. Gazing from a distance, as bright as the sun rising above the rosy clouds of dawn.
仿佛兮若轻云之蔽月,飘摇兮若流风之回雪。远而望之,皎若太阳升朝霞。
(12)One must pick a flower at the prime of its bloom. Do not wait until the blossoms fade and fall.
花开堪折直须折,莫得无花空折枝。

(13)I advise you not to covet golden embroidered garments.
劝君莫惜金缕衣。
(14)A pair of phoenixes on the wing, glide in perfect harmony.
凤凰于飞,和鸣铿锵。
(15)A tiger cub cannot be caught without entering the tiger’s lair.
不入虎穴焉得虎子。

(16)Flowers in blossom and the full moon, symbols of a conjugal bliss which endures.
花好月圆人长久。
(17)Yearning for a life long in years, we share the same moonlight even a thousand miles apart.
但愿人长久,千里共婵娟。
(18)Let us commit ourselves to one another for life, two souls eternally united.
终身所约,永结为好。
If only we may live in harmonious matrimony, our days filled with peace and joy.
琴瑟在御,岁月静好。