Helpful info for our Ukrainian friends

Negotiations have started between the delegations of Russia and the Ukraine.

"Hope is a small light in the darkness."

I barely see a chance for a ceasefire, but still like many others want to believe that it’s not impossible. My thoughts are with you all.

Something I took from my profile page, it has been there since … I first created it, I think.

Love and peace :wink:

That is something universal and will never change as my wish for the world.

Let’s keep hoping. Stay safe, everyone, no matter where!

7 Likes

FB_IMG_1646052845417 1621020704ae5edfc96856f809fc24b7 Malala-Yousafzai-Peace-Quotes

6 Likes

The dictatorship in Moscow does not in fact represent the thoughts and feelings of the Russian people. Right now, there are thousands upon thousands of people all across Russia protesting against the brutal and unprovoked invasion of Ukraine. :ukraine: :peace_symbol: :ru:

7 Likes

@angelight313_168
In all due respect, would you please delete this post.

How is this in any way helpful? You know that political discussion are off limits here at Discussions as well as religious ones.

2 Likes

As somebody whose almost entire family (and friends) serve in the military, I really don’t want to imagine a war. Every time I think of the destruction war will bring along with it, my heart just suddenly stops beating.

Why is it that so many innocent people loose their lives for people who always have 24/7 security with them. These big people will sit in a room with tight security and order young men to do this and that for their own greed. Young men die for the greed of older men.

I really don’t want see/imagine the world being dragged into sadness because of one person’s greed.

I really hope Ukraine finds peace, I’ve seen posts on the internet that Russians don’t want such a situation either. I am unable to do anything except for waiting it to be over.

My heart goes out to all the innocent Ukrainians and Russians.

9 Likes

Please, for everyone posting here in this topic, think about what you post.
There are guidelines and disregarding them endangers the whole thread to be deleted.
Read again the title of this topic and if what you wrote is helping or at least encouraging our Ukrainian friends. This shouldn’t be about people’s sight of the world, or religious beliefs.

So, I am begging everyone to read this again

Thank you! And as always, stay safe wherever you are!

5 Likes

You mean her summary, not the entire post.
I think you both have a bit of editing to do for those two post. :wink: Keep it helpful. @lutra, thanks for the reminder post. Let’s all stay focused, we can message each other for other things, instead of a back, and forth here, keep the thread on track. :wink: @angelight313_168

3 Likes

deleting this

2 Likes

Eh? I don’t think there’s anything political in sharing a video that clearly shows this isn’t a war of the people. Both sides are being manipulated. Everyone just wants to live in peace.

3 Likes

Okay, people, please don’t argue. You have expressed your support for our people. We appreciate that. Let’s not talk about the war and all these unpleasant things, everyone has enough problems anyway. I think everyone is watching the news anyway. Thanks again for your support!

9 Likes

how do you write down what your heart feels when something so unbelievable happens? it is so unreal and yet it happens, helplessness, terror and fear reach us all and yet something happens, something that a person did not expect… cohesion, unity, resistance, the desire for the right to freedom… .Ukraine you guys are great… i take my hat off to you pretty much the whole world is with you :heart::heart:

10 Likes

@irene06 Today I saw reporters reporting on the situation in Ukraine from Lviv and those background noises. I would be so scared. You are such a strong person for not fleeing right away but want to help your country where you can. I really hope it’s over soon.

And I hope everyone of the Ukrainian community on Viki, and their family and friends, are okay and safe (in how far that’s possible in this situation).

10 Likes

I just did read that the NS (Dutch Railway) let’s Ukrainian refugees travel for free as well just like the Thalys and Deutsche Bahn. Your passport is your ticket.

8 Likes

@dudie Thank you very much for this information!

I’m not going anywhere but we don’t know what might happen next so we have our belongings ready and we’re ready to leave the country at any moment in case of serious danger. Today we were told that a 40-mile long Russian military convoy advanced on Kyiv. In addition, enemies are threatening to cut off communication across the country. A TV tower was hit in Kyiv a few minutes ago. There are serious problems with television. Our government promises to turn on backup broadcasting.

If it happens that I have to flee, could you please help me with some information? First I need information from Poland and Germany. I can’t find it on the internet, and people say to ask volunteers at the border. Maybe someone here knows.

How to buy a local SIM card with Internet access? Maybe someone could advise me on the tariff plan. Roaming with the Ukrainian SIM card would be too expensive.

Is it possible to exchange Ukrainian currency in your countries now?

And maybe someone heard something about refugee status. Where should I apply for this status and how much time do I have to apply for it? I’ve heard different information and I don’t know what to believe.

Thanks a lot!
You can contact me in any way, including PM or Telegram, Instagram, Whatsapp etc.

4 Likes

In Poland at the border there are phone companies giving out SIM cards for free.

Couldn’t find any information that the exchange is not possible at banks in Germany. It should be I could call my bank tomorrow to check as their chat function is just not working for such information. Maybe you need to pay a little for the change but as I said I would need to verify it with the bank.

You will have enough time to apply, no worries.
Normally in the city you will stay, you need to register.

Help to enter Germany

Stay in Germany

Information how to get asylm

https://www.asyl.net/schutzsuchende-ukraine

I didn’t read the information myself, if you have certain cities or areas you want to go to, let me know, I could look up if there is a contact point, since many set up help with daily needs, housing, etc.

I just read that Berlin is pretty packed right now, so maybe you want to try another town. Let me know.

5 Likes

And now also all other forms of public transport.

https://ind.nl/en/asylum/Pages/Apply-for-asylum-in-the-Netherlands.aspx

In The Netherlands, you can buy them either in a shop (any shop that sells phones usually also sells SIM cards) or online. I don’t know about Germany or Poland, but here we have to pay for a sort of copyright fee on top of the price for the SIM card itself. And just in case your phone is not simlockfree, you might have to buy a whole new phone. The shop employees could advise you further.

https://www.gwktravelex.nl/en/currency-exchange/buyback-currency

FB group with people willing to drive to the Ukranian border and give the refugees a ride: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1003082710639662

5 Likes

I’m not sure how you apply for refugee status here but I think you must go to the city hall in the city you arrive at. But I think NS also gave their staff instructions on how to help refugees. Every train station has a service and information desk so I would go there to begin with. You can buy simcards at every phone shop. And in some cases you can get one for free. They can also help you with installing it and choose a plan that suits your needs.

I also suggest you check the site of the COA, that’s our national organisation that helps refugees with shelter and other information:

4 Likes

Poland here

I also heard that companies give the sim cards for free, but in case something happened: you can buy them in most places like supermarkets (they are next to the cashier, because to buy them, you need to register), kiosks, post offices or if you want to, you can try to find the shops of the companies and they will for sure help you.
There are also things like that:
https://www.play.pl/nowy/oferta/play-karta/ukraina/ua/?tab=poslugy#poslugy
As for tariff, it depends what you want

I’d say that it’s possible now, but might not be possible in the future or with a really bad exchange rate.

I hope I don’t cause misinformation as I don’t know much either, just this source:

4 Likes

@irene06

I saw this today, they also have WhatsApp in Polish/English/Russian/Ukrain and German language (contact persons).

They organize help for donations and help for people who had to flee or try to flee.

I hope that could help you or others:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CagymuLOdVg/?utm_medium=copy_link

About Berlin:

At the moment there are 3-6 trains/day taking Ukrains from Poland to Berlin. Around 350 Ukrains/day (most want to stay in Poland atm and just some with friends/family travel to Berlin). Berlin and Brandenburg still have slots for refugees, just if the number will rising up too much it’ll be difficult but Berlin’s government is already talking about new options for Ukrains bc the government thinks more people will travel to Berlin soon. At the moment there are also many private persons at Berlin’s main train station who offer help to Ukrains who don’t know somebody here (including Ukrains/Polish/Russians who can speak these languages in case someone is unable to speak English).

Germany-wide there are around 124 000 beds at the moment offered by citizens:

(I assume the help organisation of the Instagram link knows how to find those beds in a certain city because the help organisations work together).

Many Polish, Russian and Ukrains who’re already living in Germany for a while create supportive groups together now. Today the news showed an Belarus/Russian couple, living in Germany, with friends in Ukraine and now a mother with two little kids can live with them.

The pain is there for all and the Ukrain mother said that nationality doesn’t matter or ethnics the only thing that really matters is a good heart.

7 Likes

@tanakoncik_588

Guidelines

This post is to remind everyone of our Viki Community Guidelines.

In light of various discussions that have turned sour, we have decided to no longer accept topics in this forum of the following:

Politics 

This topic is not about politics, we only want to help, if people are looking for help, information or seak refuge. So please don’t post political stances here.
There are others who will judge this situation.

7 Likes