Hidden Things At Viki

I had to create another thread just because I couldn’t find any other similar one. There are so many things at Viki that are hidden and we just don’t know of.

Did anyone know that Viki had another homepage? ANOTHER HOMEPAGE!?

I just can’t believe it! It looks so similar to previous version of Viki homepage.

13 Likes

Looks like one of the older versions.

6 Likes

If it’s one of the older versions, I can’t believe they removed so much info off the main page. It is SO much more helpful! And the community presence is so… visible! Even the main banner includes the CM and there’s a side-panel that shows Featured Community Teams

I like the “Newly Added Episodes” panel, too.

9 Likes

Screenshot_20220115-090957_Chrome

Trending in India !
So nice to see it :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Hai na? Hai na?
It’s just like the scene from Search WWW where the company has to remove an old useful feature from their website and everyone is really sad about that. But Viki still kept their old useful feature… just away from everyone’s eyes and on a different URL.

7 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Yes, that’s the legacy homepage. Doesn’t it look better than the current one? And more in touch with both their viewers (Trending in your country) AND more in touch with the Community (featuring one new translating team and their project every day).

And then Viki decided they were going to stylistically imitate Netflix. And all the personalisation went down the drain.

10 Likes

There was also a portal where you were supposed to find all the volunteers on Viki, in a big table, with sorting options, but it seems they have since removed it. Anyway, you couldn’t find volunteers, nothing was displayed. I really wish we could have a portal dedicated to identifying all volunteers. I have to admit that it’s a bit hard to identify new volunteers… especially if you don’t have a tight-knit community gathered in one place.

6 Likes

Well… there is a reason why a lot of people call Viki “The Asian Netflix” :smirk:

4 Likes

The do? Oh, god… :roll_eyes:

That’s the old Volunteer Finder. Didn’t get updated properly so it was useless.

I have a feeling I’ve seen plans to create a new one, more user friendly and functional. But it may have been just on a list of chores for Viki.

I still claim that the best solution for small languages was the list of top 20 volunteers by contribution count by language. Everyone contributing in that language was on it :grin:

7 Likes

It’s really nice that it says “Volunteers at…. are currently subtitling…”
I feel those viewers who maybe don’t know how Viki works would get a nice hint :wink: Thanks for sharing!

9 Likes

I had forgotten how Viki used to look :sob:

7 Likes

I agree. It felt warm and showed exactly why Viki is different from other streaming services. The idea is so good - legal, organized fansubbing. Why are they hiding us behind a wall like they’re embarrassed they’re not exactly like Netflix?

9 Likes

A very good point. Has the very thing that built Viki suddenly become the most embarrassing part of it?

7 Likes

Hey there!

Thanks so much for sharing your observation of that particular Viki.com URL.

We’d like to let you know that it will be removed shortly as it is not an intentional part of the Viki web experience.

Cheers,
Joshua

8 Likes

Oh no… :frowning:

4 Likes

What’s this new community mascot?

1 Like

Same thing I was asking myself.
Blobby? :thinking: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Only person came into my mind after reading that was Bobby from yumis cells!
Bobby - blobby
Hahha

PS : I know its yu ba bi

3 Likes

We know we no longer can filter shows on explore page by years.

But you know, we can :wink:
I discovered it recently. The filter might not be visible on the explore page, but tweaking the explore page’s URL a bit, you can get your desired result.

Here are shows from 2022.
https://www.viki.com/v1/explore?year=2022

10 Likes

Right now I’m super OK with the site and the app and everything. But I’m sure Viki has plans to mess it all up… Again… :open_mouth:‍:dash: :confused:

4 Likes