Historical Drama Recommendations?

Hey - Regarding Prince of Lan Ling? That’s William Feng - the same guy playing Ka Suo in Ice Fantasy!

Holy cow. Huo Wallace was in Prince of Lan Ling? uh…did he play Yuwen the other Emperor? omg! HOW did I miss that. WAIT, I was right the first time. I didn’t miss him…cause Daniel Chan is NOT Huo Wallace! AHEM!

So Much HUO…so little time. :slight_smile: I’m hoping to see Legend of Ruyi, 90 episodes with HUO!

Crouching Dieter, Hidden Donut

1 Like

Ah yes. Regarding Jackpot…You’re talking about Choi Min Soo. Want another tremendous drama with him?

Why yes, Warrior Baek Dong Soo! AND you get the other guy who was the “bad guy” too…only he’s the “good guy” in WBDS.

PLUS…you get…Ji Chang Wook.

WBDS has the BEST OPENING EPISODE EVER! OH MAN.

You have to wait a few eps to get JCW in there…but it’s worth it. Oh…very…yes. :slight_smile:

Don’t remember that guy? Oh he’s in Healer, Empress Ki, and what, the Tornado girl 2? with his shirt off again, yup :). Always good.

1 Like

Same guy who plays Sejong there plays him again in Jang Youngsil - plus the guy who plays Taejong same deal. Both of those guys OWN the roles…except Taejong has to share his with well. …Yoo Ah In. :slight_smile:

Great acting. :slight_smile:
CD, HD

1 Like

Lol, I couldn’t decide whom I liked better, but Wallace portrayed the emotional part profoundly if I remember it well… Ahh, Im getting the taste again…need to find it… :blush:

2 Likes

I got the korean translations of NIF shipped to me because I loved it so much. Be jealous. Be very jealous. I searched high and low for English NIF translation of the novel but nothing past chapter 6. I devoured the first 30 pages the first day I got hands on it (then real life had to be resumed).

2 Likes

Sophie, you are a lucky, girl and yes, we are jaelous!! How many DVD’s did you get… on ebay they mention 9 and 1-47 eps or chapters (?) other sellers offer 18 dvd’s… it’s confusing.

2 Likes

(GREEN WITH ENVY)

Whoa…Lucky, lucky girl!

CD, HD

1 Like

I bought the books.
I believe they were purchased at some storefront in Korea that is part of the Kyobo chain.
http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/product/detailViewKor.laf?mallGb=KOR&ejkGb=KOR&barcode=9788947541060&orderClick=43c

They are so thick and can be dictionaries by themselves. I believe with my current Korean level (5th grader native Korean), it will take me a year. With real life who knows when I’ll actually be able to read it. Those who are thinking of doing this with moderate Korean abilities, it is not too bad. I already knew the English translations of the places and people so I used context clues to guess what the transliterations corresponded to (see my traditional chinese is cyrillic topic for clarification).

There were 4 old idioms per 44 pages so not bad all in all. I had to look up about 3 words (I chose not too lazy :P)

1 Like

Hi
I am a Chinese reporter. I am writing an article on Chinese historical tv series. Would you like to discuss about Prince of Lan Ling?

HI I am a Chinese reporter. I am writing a story on Chinese historical tv series and looking for interviews. Are you interested in this topic?

We will write several Chinese TV Costume dramas and Nirvana in Fire will be included. Would you like to share your opinion on this program? Which of the actresses do you like most? We are looking forward to listening to your opinion on the following questions: 1.How do you get started with Chinese costume historical drama? 2. What are the key elements of Chinese historical drama in your eyes? 3. How is this type of TV drama different from the one in your country? 4. How did you have access to Chinese version tv\novel? 5. Do you think costume drama is becoming the latest cultural export product?

The article is going to be published on Thursday, please answer them as soon as possible! We are grateful for your help and looking forward to hearing your voice! Many thanks!

I also lookup for more historical facts online” Does it fit with the real history?
“At last, I can learn some Chinese words while watching.” which Chinese word have you learnt? Which word do you hear most often in these dramas?

(laughing)

Really? OK. Maybe you didn’t notice, but I am one of the most involved fans of Nirvana In Fire. I’ve seen Prince of Lan Ling - Lan Ling Wang twice.

William Feng - current starring as Ka Suo in Ice Fantasy, currently on air, plays the historic general Gao Changgong of Northern Qi who was eventually murdered by his own brother because he was jealous of his fame. The real general’s signature battle is portrayed rather nicely in this drama, and his desperate victory with his 500 vs. 100,000 besieging the city really is both breathtaking and the reason the general is still remembered today. His beauty caused him to hide behind a mask, and the dance in the mask grew behind the success of the general…and in Japan, they still perform the dance honoring the long gone Prince of Lan Ling! (Note: This is the dance also performed in “Empress of China”! albeit the exact original dance is no longer around, it’s a guess made up by that production). Feng is particularly pretty in his role, oddly more than Ariel Lin, who plays the hero girl. To make the entire picture complete, well, Danial Chan plays the other Emperor in the drama…and yes, I have to say he does a great job. Part of Prince of Lan Ling should be considered PG-13 rated due to adult content. Best moment for fans…Feng in the pool. IF also dipped him in water, apparently this is a theme in his career? :slight_smile:

:(Simi…I was right the first time. The other Emperor (Yuwen of Zhou) is NOT Huo Wallace, by the way, it’s Daniel Chan, from Hong Kong? Very memorable performance though… Did I mention there’s NEVER enough HUO WALLACE also? The Four Horsemen on which the best of Chinese Drama depends are Hu Ge, Yuan Hong, Huo Wallace, and Liu Shi Shi…with Lu Yi, Lau Hawick, Ariel Lin, and Michelle Chen as the next wave, plus the amazing cast of Go Princess Go as the next generation rising behind them!)

Prince of Lan Ling takes a speculative and rather imaginative take on the history of the actual general and makes it entertaining to watch.

There. That’s Prince of Lan Ling.

Want my review of NIF? See the NIF page. Visit my SOUL that I’ve left over there with Hu Ge. OK? :slight_smile:

Nirvana in Fire is the world’s best drama. There is no comparison. I’ve seen it 10 full times now, and I can’t find a flaw, or a reason to say I’ve seen it enough.

Sounds like this is a fun article to write.

Have fun!

And Goodnight. Tired from editing work done here on another Hu Ge/Yuan Hong/Liu Shi Shi/Ariel Lin drama. :slight_smile:

Crouching Dieter, Hidden Dragon.

2 Likes

I believe I gave you some answers on your other discussion topic you posted last week… I haven’t finished watching NIF and I can’t remember details as of right now and Im very busy… I think my answers can be used…

1 Like

some historical facts are aligned and some fiction characters are added.
xie xie and haou I can hear often others can’t remember now… would have to watch again…

1 Like

I’ve seen Jang Ok Jung.

I can tell you why it’s worth a look… That’s Yoo AH IN as the King!

yes, the man who gave you the amazing Six Flying Dragons…is in JOJ.

His young Sukjong vs the more intellectual one played by a great actor (the hero man from Jewel in the Palace!) in Dong Yi…vs the older, more fierce Sukjong played by…yes, CHOI Min Soo in Daebak/Jackpot (a man who plays VERY interesting parts…The Sky Lord from Warrior Baek Dong Soo…Yeon Gaesomun in Blade and Petal…that guy!) Jackpot is SO well named. We have REALLY top notch male acting all around…plus the veteran women are excellent. The one weak spot is the main girl - but let’s face it…tough to hold your own against the talent in that one. She wasn’t bad, but it would have taken more experience IMHO to make it hers. :slight_smile:

So when you view Sukjong of Joseon,arguably a formidable monarch who survives being made King at an early age AND gets most of the power away from the nobles…and the three really amazing actors who give us performances on this particular King, it’s very interesting. I actually rethought some of my first opinions about Sukjong after seeing Choi Min Soo. What it took to get the eventual Yeongjo crowned…and the damage he has in his life, before he kills his son Crown Prince Sado…the intelligence at the start of the dynasty somehow finds its way home clearly toward the end!

Anyway JOJ is worth a look if you are watching Yoo Ah In before Six and The Throne. What a talent!

1 Like

Except…Chronicle of Life is NOT Liu Shi Shi - not Cecelia Liu. That’s er…the one I avoid.

IMHO Chronicle had all but the right girl in it. Lau Hawick as Kangxi is still DEFINITELY worth a look and the rest of the casting is amazing. But…yeah it’s got ZS in it. :frowning:

HAD it been cast with Cecelia Liu or several other great actresses, the beautiful drama Chronicle could have been on the 9 plus of my scale. Alas…she killed it. 8. Because Lau Hawick really is GREAT and it’s filmed SO well! sigh.

Avoid season 2 of SH. It’s muddled.

Want more Cecelia Liu, aka Mrs Nicky Wu, aka Liu Shi Shi?

Strange Hero Yzimae (spelling is wrong but it’s on here somewhere). You get her AND Huo Wallace! :slight_smile:

Legend of the Condor Heroes. Imperial Doctress, again some of the best moments with her and Huo…Wallace… :slight_smile:

Sound of the Desert, with Eddie Peng (I think that’s his name, her general) and of course…HU GE…is AWESOME. ) and it’s Hu Ge’s lead up to Nirvana in Fire.

They should ALL make more historical dramas! Just get ZS out and we’re good, ok?

CD, HD. Ok I admit being passionate on this topic.

Hey, seriously, I have written plenty about Nirvana in Fire. It’s on the page with the drama here at Viki.

I don’t think I need to rewrite it.

You may refer to me as “Linda” from Denver, Colorado, USA.

But better known here as the commenter known as “Crouching Dieter, HIdden Donut”.

Let them bring ballistas, I shall say what I intend and say it as well as I can.

CD, HD

yes yes, like too, I agree with everything you said, and Choi Min Soo is always a different caliber, Yoo Ah In could be alike when he matures :blush: I cried few tissues with JOJ :cry:

2 Likes

Yoo Ah In is already amazing. What on earth will he be in 20 more years!

I swear, in Six and The Throne both…oh man. That man made me rethink both Sado and Lee BangWon. He’s simply amazing.

I know someone will be angry when I say this - but yes, I think he could easily be the best actor in Korea right now. I compare him to Huo Wallace, matter of fact…and I think he’s just short of Hu Ge.

They are all three very intelligent clearly and MORE historical and costume from ALL of them - please, let them happen!

this does NOT mean there isn’t room for my Dancing Monarch, Bo Gum…or Lee Jun Ki…SHR’s SO!!

1 Like