How did you discover k-drama?

My classmates in high school (circa early 2000s :joy:) kept talking about Kdramas/Kpop. I thought… WATCHING SHOWS WITH SUBS? I could NEVER. At this moment in life, I was mostly watching Thai lakorns or dubbed Chinese Wuxia.

I think I started with Taiwanese dramas first (venturing from the lakorns) and then Japanese dramas. Kdramas and Cdramas came after. I was already watching these other Asian shows, so why not try everything? lol

The Korean language was the most difficult to get use to hearing. Plus, they speak so fast and I was not a seasoned subtitle reader yet.

5 Likes

Netflix recommended Abyss after I finished ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’

2 Likes

I used to be an avid anime watcher for years until I didn’t want to watch anything animated anymore but I still wanted to watch something foreign. This is where KDramas come in, after seeing a couple of KDramas on Netflix I was intrigued and now here I am.

2 Likes

Sensei, learning? lol
I’m just kidding

1 Like

Ok, I guess that I have entered in k-drama world all by myself. It’s weird but yes, I started watching some Philipino movies and I have enjoyed them so much, so Netflix started showing me more and more Asian suggestions and I just thought, why not?
My first k-drama was (2015):

After this one I wasn’t able to stop watching, that’s still one of my favorites.
After that I discovered that some friends were really into Asian dramas and one of them bring me to Viki, the rest of the story is about me trying to start subbing and then trying to edit some shows, and now learning how to segment.

4 Likes

It’s very funny the way that I discovered it. So I was on High school around 2016-2017 I have to clarify that I already knew Kpop but I wasn’t interested in K dramas, didn’t even care about it, So my major in High school was accounting right so we I had to make a lot work weekly. Before to introduce I have to tell you something I already said that I listen kpop before that I start to listening around 2012 something like that, so in that time we didn’t have Spotify or music platform to streaming at least me living in my country DR. All the music that I used to listen was through youtube. With that said I used to and I didn’t know but I used to watch small fragments of dramas with Spanish music in the background that was around 2015, I thought that that was actually the original video!! Lol so I watch a lot fragments that now I know that belongs to my favorites dramas. There 2 specifically, The heirs and BOF since Lee Min Hoo is on both I thought that they were the same thing. Now I spent all those year without knowing that. So I was all most finishing high school, I graduated in 2018 but I think that was 2017 when I did my final project and in the cover I want to put some FLOWERS yes. Chrome save you history and all those things so they knew that I was watching those videos and all those things so I look up in chrome and typed Flowers. It took me a while to find my flower but I also find a review from somebody saying why they do not like BOF lol :joy::joy::joy::joy: what it got my attention was Min ho in the cover I was like I know him so I read the review and I figured out that it’s was a k drama I wrote down the name to watch it later. When I finished BOF I was confused bc some scenes that I saw before wasn’t in the drama and then I figured out again that the others scenes belongs to The Heirs so I watched that too. I wanted watch more so I don’t know how I found “Drama fever RIP” :sob: but I started to watch them and then and they close I changed to Viki. Even though now they many way how to watch dramas i won’t forget how I started to watch them through sites like you know with a lot of ads :cry: when Dramafever closed I was sad but I found viki. Thanks for your attention I hope that you’ve understood.

5 Likes

What a unique journey to Kdrama-land.

3 Likes

I don’t remember. I think I heard it somewhere before or I was in South Korea when I found out about it. :thinking:

1 Like

I discovered K-drama weirdly by watching BTS – Bon Voyage, In the Soop basically anything that was BTS related With the introduction through BTS, I think the 1st Korean Drama watched was Semantic Error. I have been hooked ever since I know look up the filmography of an actor I like & pretty much watch everything they have done. Currently I am watching all things Song Hye-kho. Love this new world & the nuanced characters I have discovered.

1 Like